Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beatles question.

Oldcarfan27

Beatles fans - what is your opinion?

What event started the decline and break up of the band?

Was it John Lennon's "Bigger than Jesus" statement?

When they stopped performing live?

Brian Epstein's death?

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi or the trip to India?

Apple Corp?

Yoko Ono?

Acid, LSD?

Just a fun little discussion - no derogatory or insulting statements please.

I was just a little kid when The Beatles were in their heyday. I've heard stories though that Yoko Ono had eyes on John Lennon as early as '63 before they hit it big. We didn't hear about her till later in the '60's, but I'd have to say that she definitely got his attention and that may have led to the decline of the band.

First they stopped touring because of all the yelling and screaming.As they worked in the studio, frictions developed over whose songs were to appear on the album. Then Yoko started hanging out in the studio and it seems that upset George to the point where he quit showing up. Paul’s book gives a good account, amazingly unbiased, in my opinion.

Emotionally, I'd have to agree. She definitely drove a wedge between the members, but from what I've read, the day Brian Epstein died it started a chain reaction. They had no clue how to manage themselves and led them to make a bunch of foolish decisions, including starting a music company that they had no experience running and hiring a business manager (Alan Klein) who stole from them and ran Apple Corps into the ground. 

After Brian, they spent most of their time searching for spiritual answers, protesting, making bad movies, lawsuits and fighting over Yoko being in the studio with them. The music was still good (except for the White Album IMHO) but it was running out. By 68 they weren't even writing or recording together anymore.

Opinions?

I think a couple of things led to their demise.

First, Yoko. I think she definitely influenced John's thought process, and she was present at all of their final recording sessions, with John actively encouraging her to participate. 

Second, I think they were just burning out on each other. Six or seven very intense years, combined with changing ideas from the members. I think they just drifted. John getting into his activism. George becoming more in tune with his meditations and whatnot. Ringo discovering acting. Paul wanted to go in the Wings direction. I think they all just moved on and were in different places. Yoko was the "final straw."

I read somewhere an article by some professional music person. Some professor or scholar. He said the average and perfect age of a band is about 7 years. Just enough time to form, getting attenion, become huge, then leave the scene, before they become irrelevant. The BEatles fit that idea perfectly. 

If they had stuck together and continued making music, or maybe had a lineup change, would they still have become the icons they became? I think not. 

18 minutes ago, landman said:

Paul’s book gives a good account, amazingly unbiased, in my opinion.

I have that book "Many Years from Now", very interesting read. Seems Paul was just wanting to make and play music, and spent most of his time pushing for that end result. Apparently the other band members thought he was being too bossy - Especially John, who had a hard time with anyone else's leadership. 

18 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

If they had stuck together and continued making music, or maybe had a lineup change, would they still have become the icons they became? I think not. 

The irony is, they still made music with each other in the 70s, just not as the Beatles, and never with Paul.

The other members played in each other's bands. I think they were mad and hurt that Paul sued them for dissolution of the band to get out of the bad contract with Alan Klein - who was stealing a vast chunk of their fortunes, but they didn't see it at the time.

Link below to a great, detailed article about Lennon's "bigger than Jesus" remark and its effect on their touring (and lives).  It shows that the media creating a circus is nothing new.  Nobody said anything about Lennon's interview for 6 months, even though it was syndicated internationally, including in the New York TIMES. Then a DJ in Alabama heard about it and starting burning records.

If you've never seen it, try to find the video "Beatles Anthology - The Director's Cut."  It's the bootleg version of the Beatles Anthology, with all the interviews left in that the lawyers cut out.  Among other fun stuff, you get to hear McCartney and Harrison discussing how they REALLY felt about Yoko Ono.  The set runs to 10 DVDs.  The last 2 discs are random interviews and extras.  It's very rough, with video timestamp codes on most of it and the color often uncorrected and ugly. But definitely worth seeing.  You can sometimes find it on eBay, but I think The Other Apple gets it removed quickly.  It used to be available free in strange dark corners of the Internet...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/when-john-lennons-more-popular-than-jesus-controversy-turned-ugly-106430/

I was of the understanding that Lennon's "bigger than Jesus" remark wasn't a boast, it was just a statement of fact that he (Lennon) wasn't particularly proud or happy about, and it maybe kind of mystified him. But I also remember the controversy of the time, and the comment sure didn't come across that way. I remember that there were publicized burnings and bonfires of Beatles records and other merchandise. 

I didn't burn anything, and I don't recall the comment affecting my opinion of the Beatles or their music in any way, then or now. I'm a fairly big Beatles fan, but not particularly what you'd call a HUGE Beatles fan. (The only recordings I actually own are Beatles '65--in mono, no less--and Sergeant Pepper.)

My Mom bought the first album when my brother and I were in high school. Most of our friends us included , thought they were a joke.

Time passing we all became fans. 

I think The Magical Mystery Tour is a far better album than Sargent Peppers.

Event, Yoko Ono, decline, break up. Fini

Never cared for Lennon after that.

With young kids, Ringo Starr as Mr. Conductor was great.

th.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

American backlash against Lennon wasn't the only disaster that convinced the Beatles to stop touring.  Just a month before, in July 1966, there was a huge uproar over them (unintentionally) snubbing Filipino first lady Imelda Marcos and her sycophants.  They felt lucky to get out of Manila alive:

"Police protection of the group vanished. The band endured a frightening ride to the airport, where porters refused to help with their equipment. Band members were jostled and road manager Mal Evans was beaten."

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-imelda-marcos/

Speaking of Ringo, I think one of John's funniest comments was during an interview with the band. The host asked the Beatles if they thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world, and John's comment - without missing a beat, said "Ringo's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!"

Next funniest was his "Those in the cheap seats, please clap. And those in the expensive seats - Just rattle your jewellery!" Very witty.