Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pirahna Land Speed Record Car - DONE!

Harpo

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It's reminding me a little of the 50 cent 1/32-ish rubber band powered Hawk Bonneville cars of the early '60s. At least one of them used the clear canopy from their 1/48 F2H Banshee kit. 

I've always loved Bonneville cars, and I built those Hawk kits when they first came out.  I have a NOS Apache, don't know if I'll ever build it:

5b82cc368bb55_apache1.jpg.da1a75f28fcd019158e566bfe6be6f36.jpg

Cockpit opening located and cut, edges where putty is exposed between styrene layers sealed with liquid glue. 

Engine is done, and I just couldn't resist keeping all those parts chrome!  I'll probably add some weathering and grime later.

2p.thumb.jpg.c56d158b8e46fbc77a1a231dc234af21.jpg

2q.jpg.f0d2ed5b3057387748b351bc5be6a547.jpg

• Here's the real thing.  That kit engine looks a little strange as the spark plugs go into the cylinder top sides, through the cooling cover.  I'll try to dig out my unbuilt copy.
  •  
  • Image result for piranha corvair engine
Edited by GerN

Yes, the engine does seem a bit strange.  Twin turbos, Weber carbs, and what appears to hemi heads?  It doesn't line up with anything ever used on any Pirahna that I can find.

But if we pretend the heads were custom made, the rest of the components were all available in the 60's - so I'm considering it a reasonably believable LSR engine.  :)

Edited by Harpo

1 hour ago, GerN said:

I should have mentioned this before:  no fan belt.  BTW, great work on the body.

Thank you!  Ya, I thought about the fan belt, but I'm claiming it's under the shroud, or perhaps a custom gear drive... ;)

Edited by Harpo

Interior panels formed from .020" Evergreen, installed, dash/seat/wheel installed and painted. 

I didn't spend much time here, as the interior is barely visible even with canopy removed.

2r.jpg.b31ae6a2a12f63b2a5144ae98c2270be.jpg

2s.jpg.ddd03e7f0820f6861a905716b9972316.jpg

Edited by Harpo

Engine cover filled and fitted, scoop attached.  Since it's in three pieces (lower body. interior/engine comp, upper body) this is turning into a real challenge deciding what order to assemble and paint it.

I'd planned on assembling all then masking the engine compartment and interior openings before final putty and paint, then adding the engine and suspension.  But since I've decided to include deep fender skirts, that may make the suspension/wheels/tires a challenge too.  

Also need to devise some way of securing the canopy.  This one is taking more time to engineer than to build!

2t.jpg

Roll bar (made from parts tree) installed, canopy retention system designed and fabricated.  Sheet styrene "spring" engages roll bar, slides forward, two angled pins engage body to secure.  Rear of canopy will be painted body color.

5b94420f7196f_2u-Copy.jpg.8807faeeaa0023739737cc4dd121e5f4.jpg

5b9442113703b_2v-Copy.jpg.496eca80926a64a8baeab990f918eebb.jpg

3 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

I remember reading your post when you first started and thinking “hmmm not feeling it.”  I’m super glad I checked back. This. Is. Absolutely. Fantastic!!

Thank you, and thanks to all who have commented! 

It's interesting to hear this comment in particular, because there's been several times during this project that I've felt exactly the same way, just not feeling it.  I went in with a rough concept of what I wanted to see, but no definite plans how to achieve it. 

I tried doing some drawings, but ended up just winging it.  So far I'm happy with the way it's coming together!

Edited by Harpo

• 2 weeks later...