Model Cars Magazine Forum

Polar Lights Mistery Machine's actual scale

It's in 1/23.297 scale if you......oh never mind. Its late and I'm being obnoxious.

I agree the van seems to be a mixture of real vans. The best think to do would be to sit it beside a 1/25 van and see how close it is. I'd imagine it as a short wheelbase.

12 hours ago, iBorg said:

It's in 1/23.297 scale if you......oh never mind. Its late and I'm being obnoxious.

I agree the van seems to be a mixture of real vans. The best think to do would be to sit it beside a 1/25 van and see how close it is. I'd imagine it as a short wheelbase.

thanks...I was thinking it might work out like that...

2 minutes ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Yes but not the one I was thinking about. there must be at least 2. 

That one is mine. I've buit 2, one is a mild custom and the other one is this one... Started a tandem stretchedone some time ago but haven't finished it... 

I would like to build one that is closer to a regular "real life size"...

12439337_10153937266729040_3228948283825777303_n.jpg

shaggysgroovyvan-vi.jpg

Apparently it is a Chevrolet Sportvan ca 1965:
mystery_machine_van.jpg
mysterymachine-640x426.jpg
https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/top-5-chevy-vans-of-all-time-2-the-mystery-machine/
It does have some resemblance to the Dodge A100 and Ford Econline of the same time aswell.
I don't have the kit myself so I can't say anything about it but looking at the pictures of it and the real vans give me the feeling that it would do well with some extra details like a grille and some trim along the sides. The sparetire on the front is more VW bus.

On 2018-09-21 at 9:20 PM, SSNJim said:

I think it looks like a VW. The low square wheelwells, lack of a grille, and round turn signals below the headlights scream VW to me. I don't think I've ever seen an American van with a front-mounted spare.

I have to agree. I always thought it looked closest to a Bay Window VW van. But it so generic that it can be any van you want.

7 hours ago, peter31a said:

I have to agree. I always thought it looked closest to a Bay Window VW van. But it so generic that it can be any van you want.

This is your winner! If you want to scratch build an accurate 1/25 th scale mystery machine measure the shaggy figure, 3 inches is 6 feet in 1/24 th, and go from there. I have no idea on the engine, as the mystery machine is cab forward, has a bench seat in front (no engine cover like early US vans is posible) and a flat rear floor. (no rear engine like a Corvair or VW) You figure that one out.