Model Cars Magazine Forum

As soon as I saw this truck, I knew it would be a future build. Disappointed that it won’t look like the box art, with the truck sitting too low, and having small tires. After buying aftermarket wheels, tires, and resin leaf springs, it becomes a more expensive build than I anticipated. 

69AA15E7-B536-4F20-8EAB-844DD0BC0B4A.jpeg

043925EE-566B-4770-A424-A778E9A27B3D.jpeg

I love where you are going with this. I too wish it was true to the box art and was a F250-F350. I would like to have the heavier springs, wheels, tires etc.

I had a 1972 F250 that I would like to replicate, but I'm with you on the cost, hard to justify.

Anyway, I will sit back and enjoy the great work you are doing on this one.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

Fireball Modelworks is developing a 4x4 conversion kit for this model that will have correct pieces to accurately depict a F250/350. I can't wait as his stuff is so darned good and I am sure it will be worth the wait.

I just bought a bunch of Holley carbs from him. Joseph is the best!! 

I bought my leafs from BNL resins. After cutting the blocks (monster truck) off right to the leaf spring, I still have to go a bit more, as the truck will still sit too high. 

BNL parts look great, and they really don’t seem like it will be too complicated to get it to sit right.

Once it’s all set, it’s time to build some longer shock absorbers.

Edited by Brutalform

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

The roof of my cab seemed to have a slight warp to it. Seems others have had the same problem as well.

I test fitted my windshield, and after a couple tries, I got it in. Maybe I got one of the better cabs? I didn’t need to modify it, it slipped in pretty easy.

I finally got the body parts cleared, sanded, and polished. Got the resin springs sanded, cut, so the height looks good. I lucked out with the windshield problems Ray encountered. A few complaints about this kit....NO  cab lights!!  And the hood decals (pic) will be from another Ford truck, as will a set of cab lights. The supplied decals for the hood are ridiculously too big. They will however look decent on the tailgate. I think Moebius missed the mark on this one, with the wheels, tires, suspension, cab lights, decals. It is a nice kit, but maybe some different box art representing the actual kit inside. Just a quick mock up to check ride height. It’s not going to be a correct 3/4 truck. I used the kit supplied axles. Just wanted it to look like the box. Maybe when Fireball comes out with the conversion, I’ll build another. Undecided. Shock absorbers will be scratch built using two sizes of aluminum tubing. 

DAFA027F-6F89-4FAA-B642-896636CE97B4.jpeg

B631513B-A7E2-4EF1-B892-DC181A8B5239.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

On 9/24/2018 at 10:17 PM, mikemodeler said:

Fireball Modelworks is developing a 4x4 conversion kit for this model that will have correct pieces to accurately depict a F250/350. I can't wait as his stuff is so darned good and I am sure it will be worth the wait.

I probably should have waited for this...

34 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I finally got the body parts cleared, sanded, and polished. Got the resin springs sanded, cut, so the height looks good. I lucked out with the windshield problems Ray encountered. A few complaints about this kit....NO  cab lights!!  And the hood decals (pic) will be from another Ford truck, as will a set of cab lights. The supplied decals for the hood are ridiculously too big. They will however look decent on the tailgate. I think Moebius missed the mark on this one, with the wheels, tires, suspension, cab lights, decals. It is a nice kit, but maybe some different box art representing the actual kit inside. Just a quick mock up to check ride height. It’s not going to be a correct 3/4 truck. I used the kit supplied axles. Just wanted it to look like the box. Maybe when Fireball comes out with the conversion, I’ll build another. Undecided. Shock absorbers will be scratch built using two sizes of aluminum tubing. 

DAFA027F-6F89-4FAA-B642-896636CE97B4.jpeg

B631513B-A7E2-4EF1-B892-DC181A8B5239.jpeg

Looks great! I think the Fireball Modelworks kit will include all the parts to convert some of the other Moebius kits to a proper 4x4 in F250/350 livery. Could probably also use it on the AMT Firestone F150 to convert it as well.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:21 PM, Brutalform said:

I just bought a bunch of Holley carbs from him. Joseph is the best!! 

I bought my leafs from BNL resins. After cutting the blocks (monster truck) off right to the leaf spring, I still have to go a bit more, as the truck will still sit too high. 

BNL parts look great, and they really don’t seem like it will be too complicated to get it to sit right.

Once it’s all set, it’s time to build some longer shock absorbers.

Tom, I think that is the point of the BNL springs. The user can cut to suit. I think it is simpler and easier than adding. I did the same thing with this one. Yours is a great looking truck well done.

DSC_0207.jpg

Hey Tom your truck is looking excellent, but I think the front tires sit a bit too far back in the wheel opening, not?

I was disappointed in Mobius for the misleading box art as well.

Nothing much wrong with the kit, and it says F100 right on the box top, it's just that showing an image of something different is a tactic that I thought was way in the past. I'm sure Mobius will correct that box in the next issue, maybe the decals too.

And Pat, the Chevy looks awesome!

Edited by dino246gt

Pat... that Chevrolet looks fantastic. Very clean build. 

Dennis.. there is room in the front and rear springs to glue it right. The springs are  sitting loose on the axles. I could tap it and it would move too far forward as well. It still has to be disassembled, and the springs washed before priming. Yea, the completed truck looks like a regular ole pick up... lol. But that’s what we modelers do... improve. 

I still might replace the rear bumper as well. It kind of looks generic to me. 

Thanks for the replies. 

Edited by Brutalform

• 1 month later...