Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

A3E92D00-BE4A-424F-AAD1-D7A852DBDA29.jpeg.976ffe0936d77828d74152e85bb96d8d.jpeg

Working on the Jeepster which went from an easy assembly project to major changes.  I’ve changed out the V6 for a 4 and now am working to create a pickup box in the kit deficient void.  

Although I’m not working during the pandemic, I’ve been involved in outdoor projects while the weather is nice

Here's my '59 Ford Galaxie Update:

Aside from a new windshield, I needed replacements for part 36 and 37: Deck Lid Hinge Arm L and R and two part 38 Hinge Pivot Block. Wouldn't you know it, the parts kit I bought was only missing one piece: one of the art 38 Hinge Pivot Blocks.

IMG_0640.jpg.d0d74c60dd8798432d68618126809cfb.jpg

I've got two of part 38 Hinge Pivot Block if I count the original one I was able to remove from the Deck Lid. I cannot believe my luck: I was able to put in a clamp and push the old hinge arm out of the pivot block. We're back in business.

IMG_0645.jpg.1a74bc5bbe094c511b0f1eedd51e3a01.jpg

I was also successful in removing the old, broken hinge arm pieces from the deck lid (folding section). Hot BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH!

IMG_0641.jpg.ae78bc0c9b786638507df37b5fbe798a.jpg

Edited by gwolf

Here's that overdue update: 

ROUND 7: FINISH DATE JUNE 30, 2020

Eric Macleod: L-29 Cord (extension from Round 6) SIXTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck (extension from Round 6)

Dave Branson: Monogram Mooneyes Olds Aerotech

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird (extension from Round 6) FIRST COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Tom Geiger: Jeepster MAKING PROGRESS!

Gwolf: '59 Ford Galaxie MAKING PROGRESS!

#1 Model Citizen: Caravan

89AKurt: VW Microvan THIRD COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

Stinkybritches: Tamiya 1995 Cobra R MAKING PROGRESS!

Snake45: AMT AWB '66 Mustang MAKING PROGRESS!

Demerovingian: 1930 Bentley

MeatMan: Dodge Little Red Truck FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Superbird McMonte: '69 B/M Camaro SECOND COMPLETION GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '62 Corvette FOURTH COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

End of the month is next week, so drive on and GITTER DONE! 

BTW, here's the latest pic of my Mustang: 

66MustangAWB065.jpg.15380024256aa646076716087f277208.jpg

I'm calling this done. I'm not even 10% happy with how it turned out, but I'm 100% happy that I have built something for the first time in about 15 years. The body/chassis paint is from when I started this many, many years ago. I feel like I've learned a lot from this forum and I look forward to stripping this apart and doing it over with more skills and knowledge. More time would be helpful also. 

20200628_125251.jpg

20200628_125306.jpg

20200628_125339.jpg

20200628_125702.jpg

7 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

I feel like I've learned a lot from this forum and I look forward to stripping this apart and doing it over with more skills and knowledge. More time would be helpful also.

Congratulations on finishing a model!  I wouldn’t strip it, I’d buy a second kit to build with the skills you have today. Keep the pair as a contrast of your improved skills!

5 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

I'm calling this done. I'm not even 10% happy with how it turned out, but I'm 100% happy that I have built something for the first time in about 15 years. The body/chassis paint is from when I started this many, many years ago. I feel like I've learned a lot from this forum and I look forward to stripping this apart and doing it over with more skills and knowledge. More time would be helpful also. 

20200628_125251.jpg

Fabulous, and it looks fine! I've noted you on my external list as this round's SEVENTH COMPLETION. Wow, we're doing better than I thought! 

I finished polishing out the Mustang body today. Not much else to do to the body except Silver Sharpie the window trim and add the head and taillights. Got some final painting and detailing of the chassis and engine to do, and then it's just final assembly. I SHOULD make the Tuesday deadline. 

Model on, everyone! GITTER DONE! 

On 6/25/2020 at 9:57 PM, Snake45 said:

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck (extension from Round 6)

Sorry I haven't been around latley to show any update progress, I've been really busy (I'll spare ya the details). 

Anywho, I totally re-imagined the Stepside after years of trying to get the decals where I wanted them ... So what better way to forget about my original plan? Strip all the gold off and start over...and paint it a different color too while you're at it! ???

I started over with bare plastic' re-did all the body work, primed/blocked it again... I figured TS34 Camel Yellow from Tamiya would help me forget about the boxart... I'll build the motorcycles to match.

I know It wont be done before the deadline but that's ok...  it will be done soon after... & way before it would qualify for the next round for sure...?

I stretched a Crew Cheif Blazer frame for the long box and I think the 4X4 is the best fit for the Stepside long bed... Look for it soon in the finished section... 

Anyways thanks again for the tread I hope to get back to modeling "Full Time" soon...

20200629_125234~3.jpg

Well, after starting this kit in December 1988 when I was 15, I finished it last night. I'm 47 now. 

I replaced the tires and windshield (provided by modelcarsmag forum member, Khils). Seatbelts are from a Jo-Han 1962 Plymouth Fury. Everything else is from the original box. Does the retractable hood actually work? Kinda. The added thickness of the paint hinders it some, but it does work.

Here's where I started in April:

I was 15 in 1988 and got this kit for Christmas. I'm sure my father picked it out, probably because he had one as a kid. He knew it had the retractable roof, he knew the body came in four pieces, not like the one piece bodies I was used to. He probably thought it'd challenge me. He was probably disappointed that I never showed him the completed model.

The thing was complex; the retractable roof had a lot of pieces, the rear deck hinges were delicate and could be broken easily, and I never could get the goddam four piece body to stay put together... until today, 32 years later. If my dad were still alive I think I would've called him today and told him about it.

There's a few broken parts, and the front glass is ruined (at some point years ago I tipped over a bottle of Testors silver paint into the box and doused the windshield and tires with it. But I'm going to work with it. The photo below is exactly how Ieft it right after Christmas in 1988. So here we go, the Revell Skip's Fiesta Drive-In '59 Ford Galaxie Starliner:

Before:

IMG_9581.jpg.3dcf1ab1d441867321dd3adf7dea057b.jpg.cfbe47444f882c5b7227a967a4d0a1af.jpg

After: IMG_0826.thumb.jpg.976265e8cc09772eed89c65253486da5.jpg

IMG_01973.jpg.d38065386b6ab6f99a105f847bf97114.jpg

IMG_0834.thumb.jpg.571c25ad7d02e45208c456262d50e042.jpg

Edited by gwolf

Very very nice, Gwolf! I've got you logged as our EIGHTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! B)

We're doing better than Round 6, with only 5 completions, and Round 5, with 6. 

I'm still hoping to get my Mustang finished today, but can't promise that I'll have a photo up today. 

Drive on, everyone! GITTER DONE! B)

Edited by Snake45

Hey, I’m not gonna make it!  I’ve had paint issues with the Jeepster and while otherwise 80% done I cannot push it.

Part of why it’s not done is that I’ve done some extensive mods, such as changing the entire bed section and fitting a four cylinder to it. This is sitting in the chassis which is complete other than still needing to figure out an exhaust. 

And I am building a second Jeepster at the same time!  And that one is about at the same percentage of completion.

Renew me for the next session!  Put me down for a pair of Jeepsters this time.

Back to painting the bridge!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Nicely done Gwolf! (Another kit I want to build) 

I'm working hard to complete my project b4 midnight. With any luck I will.

I feel somewhat like Tom in that there are changes and doodads I would like to & had planned to do but had forgotten about, mostly fog lights and an after market console, parts that would require scratch building. However I have decided to move ahead and giitter done w/o theses features. As I have several Caravan projects going on, I may go back & add these features as I move along. Pics tonight, I hope...

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very very nice, Gwolf! I've got you logged as our EIGHTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! B)

We're doing better than Round 6, with only 5 completions, and Round 5, with 6. 

I'm still hoping to get my Mustang finished today, but can't promise that I'll have a photo up today. 

Drive on, everyone! GITTER DONE! B)

Thanks Richard!

1 hour ago, #1 model citizen said:

Nicely done Gwolf! (Another kit I want to build) 

I'm working hard to complete my project b4 midnight. With any luck I will.

I feel somewhat like Tom in that there are changes and doodads I would like to & had planned to do but had forgotten about, mostly fog lights and an after market console, parts that would require scratch building. However I have decided to move ahead and giitter done w/o theses features. As I have several Caravan projects going on, I may go back & add these features as I move along. Pics tonight, I hope...

Thanks John! This kit is a doozy! I plan on building another one, myself.

7 hours ago, gwolf said:

If my dad were still alive I think I would've called him today and told him about it.

Outstanding young man!       &... he knows!!      Thank you for sharing with me!

8 hours ago, gwolf said:

1988 when I was 15, I finished it last night. I'm 47 now. 

I too got this kit in or around 1988 and I'm also 47... Like you I didn't pick it but I did think it was cool.  I wasn't that interested in the subject.  (other than seeing the retractable top work)...so my cousin suggested he could get the car together (I must've really wanted to see the top work) lol so I let him take it home with him to build it and I never seen it again lol... Fast forward about five years later at a car show I seen a real one working and I always wanted to get another one.  It is a cool model and you really did it proud... It's making me really want one now ?

Well there's a few more things I'd like to do, and a few tweaks I need to make, but by the legal standards of BOYD, I'm declaring the Mustang Street Freak DONE! NINTH COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

I'll have to check the records but I think 9 completions might be a BOYD record. And it's still a couple hours till midnight! So if you're still trying, GITTER DONE!  B)

66MustangAWB077.jpg.d6d58e284aa4b215b28b311c8492ea5b.jpg

66MustangAWB081.jpg.7ca1a8a2296673e6ab7710bb44b37e67.jpg

66MustangAWB083.jpg.8310702db46e629c46979e92c861a351.jpg

66MustangAWB087.jpg.cc393db46d52e539265317a962f6692b.jpg

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Well there's a few more things I'd like to do, and a few tweaks I need to make, but by the legal standards of BOYD, I'm declaring the Mustang Street Freak DONE! NINTH COMPLETION GOTTER DONE!

I'll have to check the records but I think 9 completions might be a BOYD record. And it's still a couple hours till midnight! So if you're still trying, GITTER DONE!  B)

66MustangAWB077.jpg.d6d58e284aa4b215b28b311c8492ea5b.jpg

Looks like she's coming off the line hard. I like it. 

Gotter done! Yeah its a bit late, finished @1:23ct but it must still be Tuesday somewhere! Wished I had started working on it when this round 1st started as there was more doodads & detail I had wanted to include. When I dug this out of the crypt I thought is was nearer done it was. ? Still I'm happy with the result.IMG_2054.thumb.JPG.d0211a9103106469d581330a57c45978.JPGIMG_2061.thumb.JPG.df84e61bec6923336e19f30f269e3d1e.JPGIMG_2055.thumb.JPG.22e3578c16461403285ecca61574bdaf.JPGIMG_2052.thumb.JPG.6be27791421af25f98a76cf99e0f7672.JPGIMG_2048.thumb.JPG.04c7bede9dd79688ec1feac31789ed4b.JPGI did add rub rails(?)

IMG_2060.thumb.JPG.72a947d63be52fddffa12205ffd8b808.JPGComments, suggestions welcome. 

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

Edited by #1 model citizen