Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

54 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I picked up this one at the swapmeet last month... I heard someone say it was an old IMC VW ??? but I've never seen the kit or the box. This one is the only one I've seen this complete.

It's a multi-piece body but seems pretty simple... I don't know what my plan is for it yet... I like it better than the Revell kit. I've tried to build the Revell kit before but never liked the the outcome.

The Polar Lights VW is better than the Revell kit I had a Herbie PL  it has the opening hood and I think it's the same kit as the Harley Quinn version currently out... 

Anyways, does anyone have information or knowledge about this kit?

do you need any parts for that corvette? i have a mpc 75 corvette i robbed the engine from eveything else is there.

2 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

have a mpc 75 corvette

This one is the Revell 78 Corvette anniversary car it's complete just has the chassis glued together it was a bag kit.   Still working on  John's decals too BTW but my time in the computer room is limited now since my wife is now working from home full time.

4 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

This one is the Revell 78 Corvette anniversary car it's complete just has the chassis glued together it was a bag kit.   Still working on  John's decals too BTW but my time in the computer room is limited now since my wife is now working from home full time.

No hurry at all, take your time. I seen the corvette body and thought you might need parts.

Well, snot! I've finally talked myself into the enthusiasm to finish up this '69 Nova, started and painted sometime before 2014 (found the pic in my "old computer" file, and I bought the "new computer" in 2013), and I can't find one of the bucket seats! :angry:

Last thing I worked on, at least two years ago, was the seats. I was filling the seams in the 2-piece construction. I remember one of them falling off the back of my workbench. It's kind of inaccessible back there, so I never bothered to look for it. Last night I really tried to find the thing and couldn't. :angry: Did find the other one right where it should have been, so THAT was promising, anyway. 

Gonna look again today. If I can't find it, Plan B is to see if I have another copy of this kit (I THINK I do) and "borrow" the seat out of that. :unsure:

Revell69Nova17.jpg.45d21c00a1a0ae9913a4dc06e68fa212.jpg

BTW, here's where we are with Round 7. So far only three have officially declared themselves in. 

ROUND 7: FINISH DATE JUNE 30, 2020

Eric Macleod: L-29 Cord

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck

Dave Branson: Monogram Mooneyes Olds Aerotech

Misha: Interest expressed but not officially declared, Tall T Coupe?

Gwolf: Possibly in with '59 Ford Galaxie. Not definitely declared.

Bobthehobbyguy: Interest expressed but project not picked

Tom Geiger: Interest expressed but project not picked

#1 Model Citizen: Interest expressed but project not picked

Snake45: Definitely in if 8 others declare. Project will probably be Revell '69 Nova

Anybody else? :unsure:

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

BTW, here's where we are with Round 7. So far only three have officially declared themselves in. 

Eric Macleod: L-29 Cord

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck

Dave Branson: Monogram Mooneyes Olds Aerotech

Misha: Interest expressed but not officially declared, Tall T Coupe?

Gwolf: Possibly in with '59 Ford Galaxie. Not definitely declared.

Bobthehobbyguy: Interest expressed but project not picked

Tom Geiger: Interest expressed but project not picked

Snake45: Definitely in if 8 others declare. Project will probably be Revell '69 Nova

The stars finally aligned, and I think I just shot the final coat of clear on the Firebird, today. This whole virus thing really shifted my schedule, and it's been like jetlag. Anyway, I am going to let that dry, then glue in the side windows and the last details and call it done. After that, I will work out the graphics for it. Can I get in?

58 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

The stars finally aligned, and I think I just shot the final coat of clear on the Firebird, today. This whole virus thing really shifted my schedule, and it's been like jetlag. Anyway, I am going to let that dry, then glue in the side windows and the last details and call it done. After that, I will work out the graphics for it. Can I get in?

I went back and looked at the thread. It looks like you lost the whole month of December due to an injury back in Round 5, so I'll give you a one-month extension to GITTER DONE. Your deadline is April 30. After that you'll have to declare on a new project. 

I don't want to be a hardass but the whole idea of this thread is to GIT STUFF DONE. We can't drag stuff out round after round after round. You can drag a project out to Nevertober on your own, you don't need the encouragement of this thread. Six months should be enough time to get just about any project finished if one wants to. (And yeah, this is coming from a guy who got his own last two projects finished on the last day, shame! :lol:)

So good luck, stay well, stay safe, and GITTER DONE! B)

18 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I went back and looked at the thread. It looks like you lost the whole month of December due to an injury back in Round 5, so I'll give you a one-month extension to GITTER DONE. Your deadline is April 30. After that you'll have to declare on a new project. 

I don't want to be a hardass but the whole idea of this thread is to GIT STUFF DONE. We can't drag stuff out round after round after round. You can drag a project out to Nevertober on your own, you don't need the encouragement of this thread. Six months should be enough time to get just about any project finished if one wants to. (And yeah, this is coming from a guy who got his own last two projects finished on the last day, shame! :lol:)

So good luck, stay well, stay safe, and GITTER DONE! B)

As a show of good faith, I went ahead and finished it, except for markings. It has its warts, that I have learned to accept, thus, I was able to move on. ? Here she is!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

20 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

So I was thinking if one member has multiple projects would that count as separate entries? ?

I dug these three out while cleaning up my modeling room. Believe it or not, I started the Camaro over a year ago.?

Screenshot_20200407-140645~2.png

7 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

As a show of good faith, I went ahead and finished it, except for markings. It has its warts, that I have learned to accept, thus, I was able to move on. ? Here she is!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

Very cool, and I appreciate it! But now I have a dilemma: Do I call this the Sixth Completion of Round 6, OR do I call it the First Completion of Round 7? I could use the latter, as so far we only have 3 definitely enrolled for the new round (you'd be #4). Traditionally, we need eight. :unsure:

6 hours ago, disconovaman said:

So I was thinking if one member has multiple projects would that count as separate entries? ?

I dug these three out while cleaning up my modeling room. Believe it or not, I started the Camaro over a year ago.?

Screenshot_20200407-140645~2.png

Separate models count as separate completions, but one modeler is one modeler. If we get off the ground, feel free to finish as many as you want! B)

You started that Camaro over a year ago? Wow. Seems like just last week I scanned those decals for you. :blink: BTW, I finally came up with a clean set of '65 Chevelle TIME MACHINE decals. Got 'em scanned. You still interested in making me some copies? :unsure:

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool, and I appreciate it! But now I have a dilemma: Do I call this the Sixth Completion of Round 6, OR do I call it the First Completion of Round 7? I could use the latter, as so far we only have 3 definitely enrolled for the new round (you'd be #4). Traditionally, we need eight.

Well, I am fine with whichever you decide. If it helps, I had planned to have it done about two and a half weeks ago, but the weather wouldn't cooperate. I wanted to take it outside, and really hose it down, with clear. Anyhoo...I'll  be happy to be the first one in, and done, for Round 7!

21 hours ago, disconovaman said:

These two photos are my favorite... I need a lesson or two on photography from you for sure! That stance is spot on for the car!

Thanks, Anthony! I don't know that I'm the guy to ask for photography pointers, though! ? I can't seem to get my photos to look as good as many of the other modelers, here, even when I take the time to set up my tripod, and use long exposures. Oh, well! Stance is very important, especially when it comes to race cars, for sure.

3 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Stance is very important,

You're right... I sold off some of my stalled projects last year to a friend ( Big feeling of seller's remorse) A fairly good builder, he's been slowly getting those kits built... One thing he can't seen to get right is the way the cars sit. I'm not gonna be critical because if I wanted them look the way I think is "right", then I should've just finished them myself...???Lol!

Here's an example...  I painted, detailed, built the engine, and interior but just lost interest. He claims there was no glass??? ? So he made his own from some protective tinted lenses from the eye doctor...?? 

Anyways, stance is important. ?

IMG_20200330_044939988_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200330_045052733.jpg

Screenshot_20200408-112744~2.png

On 4/6/2020 at 7:47 AM, Snake45 said:

As I am deep into a conversion of a Caravan to a pickup, I may as well pull a stock Caravan from the crypt & finish it. So I will offically submit the stock Caravan for round 7. It will be representative of the '98 I once owned. With any luck they will both be completed by the deadline.

7 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

As I am deep into a conversion of a Caravan to a pickup, I may as well pull a stock Caravan from the crypt & finish it. So I will offically submit the stock Caravan for round 7. It will be representative of the '98 I once owned. With any luck they will both be completed by the deadline.

The stock Caravan was started over a year ago, right? Just post a start pic of where it is now and you're in. B)

DB05516E-4BE6-45DE-87F8-094BF4C572EF.jpeg.f8130981ebea6a02dab0cb212bd3c05e.jpeg467E5863-2D92-44D9-ABD1-A995C42CBAE4.jpeg.0bc6e1c6cb027fb2cfb25f3dd1dc86db.jpeg
66814B4C-3135-46F1-88FE-8E52480E18F6.jpeg.713822e4cdad4925f3fbebc15e6e2b79.jpeg

Okay, I’m in with my Amish buggy. This one has been sitting a very long time, that’s actually my back yard in NJ and I moved from there ten years ago!

Project started with the toy Amish buggy I bought from a G Scale dealer. It’s large as far as an actual Amish buggy, but good for this project. I don’t think I will waste the resin Ford six on it.  

On 3/31/2020 at 9:21 PM, gwolf said:

I was just thinking about this topic, Bring Out Your Dead, the other night; should I do it? 

Last summer my fathers workshop (where all my old model kits were stored) developed a major leak and a lot of kits got damaged and some vintage boxes I dearly loved got ruined - but luckily none of the ones that got ruined were mine as a kid in the 1980s. I bought those big clear plastic tubs and moved everything out of dads old workshop and into my own family's attic and my dry man cave. It's one of those kits I brought back from my parents house I'll bring back from the dead.

I was 15 in 1988 and got this kit for Christmas. I'm sure my father picked it out, probably because he had one as a kid. He knew it had the retractable roof, he knew the body came in four pieces, not like the one piece bodies I was used to. He probably thought it'd challenge me. He was probably disappointed that I never showed him the completed model.

The thing was complex; the retractable roof had a lot of pieces, the rear deck hinges were delicate and could be broken easily, and I never could get the goddam four piece body to stay put together... until today, 32 years later. If my dad were still alive I think I would've called him today and told him about it.

There's a few broken parts, and the front glass is ruined (at some point years ago I tipped over a bottle of Testors silver paint into the box and doused the windshield and tires with it. But I'm going to work with it. The photo below is exactly how Ieft it right after Christmas in 1988. So here we go, the Revell Skip's Fiesta Drive-In '59 Ford Galaxie Starliner:

IMG_9581.jpg

Update:

Aright, things are moving along now. Got a new windshield from Kevin and some paint from Martha. Never tried her paint before but I thought the colors were perfect for this project.

IMG_9697.jpg.ea0ed44b242c1d0a4eda5930173e6a60.jpg

IMG_9698.jpg

3 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

I would like to take part. Is there a limit on how unfinished the kit has to be? I have a Tamiya 1995 Cobra R kit that I started many years ago. All I managed to do was paint the body. Maybe I need something like this to give me a kick up the backside to get started again.

Sounds to me like you qualify. Post a pic of where it is now and you're officially in. B)

On 4/6/2020 at 5:47 AM, Snake45 said:

[...]

I work on my own timeline and schedule, if I qualify, the finish date is far enough out, then count me in.