Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

On 1/12/2020 at 7:09 AM, Snake45 said:

New page, time for an update: 

ROUND 6: FINISH DATE MARCH 31, 2020

[...]

Thought I would check in to see what other guys are dredging up.  I was in your original round, but did not complete the '48 Chevy Canopy Express.  I'm now on a mission to complete, to fulfill a New Years resolution, and to enter in the Desert Scale Classic.  I sent the dash out to get chrome plated, that's the only thing out of my control now.  Made accurate door handles, that will get plated.  Got diamond plate sheet that is really nice, for the floor.  Got thin wall steel tubing, for the bed rolled edges.   So can I rejoin?
IMG_1660_Fotor.jpg.6cfdbae4f8de7ab89c1e60e273e91f0d.jpg

Wow! I’m done! Thanks Snake for helping out to get this Shoebox on the road. Just in time for tonite’s meeting. Will be posting it “Under Glass” for more of a rundown on the story of the two bros who inherit Grandad’s 49 Shoebox...

Cheers Misha

0EAA2076-E0F6-4C5B-BC05-3E89F80B38D5.jpeg

320E5D21-2437-4393-BD15-EB98D95CA43B.jpeg

ACD2C04F-6AA0-4597-93D1-1E53707892B2.jpeg

I got the chipped out area smoothed out, and got some color on it, before I ran out of paint. Time to call it good! I also went over all the stripes with good ol' One Shot. Now, I'll let that cure for a couple of weeks, and there's a nice day, and I'll shoot clear on it, again--a bit more carefully, this time!

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

Congratulations, Misha and SupebirdMcMonte! GOTTEM DONE! B)

Update: 

Dave Branson: Porsche 959 (at least one, maybe two!)

Bobthehobbyguy: Ghost Rider Corvette

Disconovaman: Chevy Stepside truck

Straightliner59: SS/GT Firebird MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Tom Geiger: Trabant 600 Panel Wagon 

Bernard Kron: Interested but specific project not declared

Misha: ‘49 Ford SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Lghtngyello03: Chevy Cameo pickup

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Dodge Coronet THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Snake45: EMPI Imp MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

#1 Model Citizen: '49 Ford Tudor special exemption extended from Round #4-5; deadline is January 31 FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE 1/31!

Eric Macleod: L-29 Cord

We're entering the final third of Round Six, gang! Get 'em out and GITTER DONE! B)

That’s really good thinking Dominick! In a way a reward for finishing a build is to plan ahead... my first instinct is to go for yet another  new project, I’ve already been perusing the stash. Yet,  I really like the idea and it makes sense to continue being a part of the thread by choosing a stalled project instead. Yeah, now to review the choices...

Perhaps from 2014 the Tall T Coupe...

Thanks Misha

5E9BEEEF-A39C-4A74-BDB6-8E3C6A90A8D3.jpeg

42883D8D-BED2-49D4-8CFE-6D9E481EF79F.jpeg

Edited by Misha
Added comment

On 2/29/2020 at 10:54 AM, Snake45 said:

[...]  We're entering the final third of Round Six, gang! Get 'em out and GITTER DONE! B)

Thought since I announced resuming what was entered before, that counted.  Don't under the Round # format.

9 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Another, heavier, coat of clear on the 'Bird. I should make it, this time!

Go! Go! GITTER DONE! B)

I need to get back to work on the EMPI Imp. The hangup is I'm gonna have to piece together an engine of some sort, which I'm not looking forward to. If I didn't have that hanging over me, I could Snake-slap this puppy back together in a day or two. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, Snake45 said:

MORE modeling time

I definitely have more time than normal, I also had home projects that were "expected" of me to get done. My daughter being home full time has changed the dynamic for sure. Her school has been sending emails with worksheets and school work, I feel like I'm a Handyman, Painter, landscaper, and a teacher. I didn't know all this Social distancing was gonna have me working this much.

I used to think my stalled projects was me not focusing enough to get finished and or losing interest or maybe getting distracted by another kit. Now the term " life gets in the way" has a personal meaning. I can always find time for the hobby but now I see how much time life takes up during these times. I really feel like most modelers are professionals at  hibernating anyways. I have no problem with it I just have to juggle my priorities, modeling is at the least top five for sure.?

1 hour ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Completion #2

The Vette is Beautiful!

Congrats SMcM! Not just one but two done this round! YAY YOU! B)

I'm still hoping for positive news from Tom Geiger and Straightliner 59. C'mon, guys, GITTEM DONE! 

As for me, I finished the engine for my Imp, got the paint polished out, got the wheel final detailing finished, installed the engine and wheels on the chassis, and am down to wrapping up body and interior details. Looking good to GITTER DONE by tomorrow! B)

55 minutes ago, Eric Macleod said:

Unfortunately, paint problems and huge time commitments at work (right now it seems like people are either working a ton...or not at all) will prevent the Cord project from crossing the finish line by tomorrow.  

No problem, I think you came in late so I have no problem extending you over into Round 7, assuming we have one. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay free, and Thank You for whatever important work it is you're doing. B)

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

No problem, I think you came in late so I have no problem extending you over into Round 7, assuming we have one. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay free, and Thank You for whatever important work it is you're doing. B)

I appreciate that! The Cord project turns 40 years old in June so that is my hard and fast deadline...though really I would like it done sooner than the Coronavirus lockdown. We'll see. 

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm still hoping for positive news from Tom Geiger and Straightliner 59. C'mon, guys, GITTEM DONE! 

Sorry to say I won’t be finished. I ran out of  the semigloss clear I needed for the final finish.  

That and other things..  first planning for NNL East, then worrying about have to cancel, then actually cancelling and setting the whole thing up again for September.  Then the Coronavirus concerns all kept me out of the model room.