Model Cars Magazine Forum

What size slick is represented in AMT's small slick MH pack

Thought someone might have a ball park idea ? It says 1/25 scale, no mention of real tire diameter or width. I'd like to fit some slicks inside the fender wells of the AMT 49 Ford in 1/25th. Probably 28"x9 or 10"x rim size 15". I don't mind massaging the fender wells but I have no interest in radiusing wheel wells or full tubbing for this build at least. I want to keep a street and strip look. I know the big slick set would be too large, or assume so anyway.

If you can find this ancient Revell tire pack, the SMALLER pair of slicks otter work for you.

Image result for revell competition tire pack   OR...

The original AMT-style piecrusts that were probably included in the early issues of that kit should work as well.

I can measure all of 'em if you need numbers.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

5 minutes ago, berr13 said:

If you're talking about the AMT Racemaster pie crust slicks, my 1/25 scale ruler scales them out to slightly over 8" wide, with a 29" outside diameter.  Inside diameter is 15".

Those are probably close to what the original kit came with. I don't mind modernizing a little if need be, into late 60's or even 70's street n strip car. That would put on a wrinkle wall a little wider. But I'm not real fussy about it !  Wheels might be another matter, the offset will matter.

Edited by Dave G.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If you can find this ancient Revell tire pack, the SMALLER pair of slicks otter work for you.

The original AMT-style piecrusts that were probably included in the early issues of that kit should work as well.

I can measure all of 'em if you need numbers.

The Revell Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit includes a pair of skinny M&H piecrust slicks. Don't have the Parts Pack, but wouldn't be surprised if it included these same slicks, and the Beatnik Bandit should be easy to find and inexpensive.

Below are the original-style AMT no-name piecrusts. They measure about 8..75" tread width, about 30.5" outside diameter, for 15" rims.

DSCN7036.JPG

Both the Beatnik Bandit and the vintage Revell parts pack piecrusts measure about 7.5" overall width, with an almost 29" diameter. The Bandit tires have the M&H lettering, while the parts-packs are no-name. Unfortunately, though the sidewalls on the M&H version are engraved 7.10-15, they need a bout a scale 17" rim. In the wayback, for some odd reason, Revell wheels were larger diameter than AMT's, even when they represented the same 1:1 size

Round 2 offered some great options using the AMT name on their packaging. One set is the Good Year "Blue Streak" Slicks. They are listed as being 9.00-15 And have pad printed Good Year lettering and a Blue Stripe, eight tires in one package. The other eight tire package is listed as M&H Race Master Drag Slicks. These have the "Pie Crust" edges and have two each wide white, white lettered, narrow white with lettering, and narrow white with a red stripe in the center. They are listed as being 1/25th scale.   

I still like the 10-1/2x15 M&H idea at the moment, even if it means some alterations to get them in. But I also don't have the kit yet and the last one I built with slicks was some 50+ years ago, so I don't recall what the floor pan and frame even looks like right now. I know the frame is molded in, I remember that much but no clue as to space to hack out an inner fender well without cutting the frame and making it a more complex job or not. Most cars back then had some space there.

Those AMT '49-'50 Ford frames are really pretty easy to modify to get a wider tire inside the stock quarter panel by removing the stock inner fenders and fabbing up some simple squared-off replacements, shaving the frame rails a tad if necessary.

Clearance between the inner sidewall and the leaf spring is another possible problem, and the axle itself may need to be slightly narrowed.

All in all though, it's entirely do-able with only moderate effort.  B)

Image result for AMT '49 Ford frame

Indeed, looks doable to me. Move the spring hangers in slightly, cut the back wall of the wheel well and shape some thin plastic or even cardboard in it's place slightly further in board. A slice out of the frame.  The springs might be a bit of a pain.  But for more tire it looks like fabricating sub frames would be required, not sure I want to go there. I need to get one of these kits in hand to really tell. I probably can cut all this with my raza saw ( my dremel speed control box fried)

Someone mentioned radiusing the wheel wells. No way, it's not a look I like at all, maybe elongate slightly but keep the stock general profile would be ok.

Thanks for all the photos guys ! And ideas too.

Edited by Dave G.

I'm not done. :P Here are a few more options, because I have a good variety of pie crust slicks on hand. #1-#3 are about the same O.D. (1.200"), but #4 has an O.D. of 1.112". Any of the four below will fit properly with a little wiggle room side-to-side. I don't have the kit's rear axle/leaf springs to determine of they'll rub on the top of the wheelhouse or not.

#1 -- AMT Firestone Deluxe Champion 'Gum Dipped' 7.50x15 pie crust slick:

IMG_20181119_200000.thumb.jpg.ddbc69b3f53f413f8d02c6c3821a2610.jpg

#2 -- AMT newly tooled double-groove pie-crust cheater slick (Barris Surf Buggy, etc.):

IMG_20181119_200021.thumb.jpg.657fa05696b9e35ae2a2877cba6f3886.jpg

#3 -- I believe these are the 'no name' early AMT pie crust slicks Bill mentioned. No sidewall markings whatsoever:

IMG_20181119_200007.thumb.jpg.3a2200a74e2800111d54d48f7e1dcb40.jpg

#4 -- M+H Racemaster Dragster 7.10 x 15 pie crust slicks (no idea on the source):

IMG_20181119_200049.thumb.jpg.ae53987d409a912a64009fab9ce05383.jpg

15 hours ago, dodgefever said:

I think the first issue had either the no-name or the skinny Firestone slicks, which would fit inside the stock wheel wells.   Any of the later, wider slicks, including the current parts pack M&H ones, will require radiussing the wheel arches.

Back in the day when I built a lot of these cars I made a lot of them as class B circle track cars and on those I cut all sorts of fender wells, put dents in the bodies with candle heat etc. But when I built the street n strip version I did not. I want to kind of replicate what I remember of that build. But today there are more parts available to work with. And I was probably 12 when I built that car, it would have been 1962 then, that's a long time ago lol ! I'm willing to cut inner fender wells and reconstruct somewhat in there but not outer..

I'm also thinking now the Olds engine I used in that kit may have come from one of the 40 Ford kits of that day, maybe the sedan ? I know it was an Olds not a Caddy that comes with it. And it wasn't a Buick nail head either. I know because Olds power was something my dad considered  a big deal back then. I remember him bragging about his Olds 88 of the day. On this build though if I don't hooshcow an Olds I think I'd like to do an FE Ford or maybe a Y block and keep it all Ford . The thing is I drag raced with real FE Fords in my 67 Mustang GT so they have a little sweet spot in my heart these days..

Edited by Dave G.

Fair enough.  I know at least the first issue instructions didn't call for the wheel wells to be opened up for the Drag version, and those early ones came with the narrower slicks.  Your Olds probably came from the '39/'40 sedan, which has just been reissued.  The Olds will fit better than the OHV Ford engines, because as you probably know, those have front sump oil pans.

Thanks. Yes I thought of the front sump but some hot rodders have run the pickup back to the rear on those in real already. When I drag raced them I went down with the sump, two extra quarts and baffled the pan  but making an FE live the drag strip life is a message for another board. I will say I ran them hard.

So guys, anyone know if the slicks from the AMT 40 Ford sedan are the same as the ones in the 49 kit ?  I think my local hobby store has this kit and from it I get the Olds engine and slicks for the 49 maybe. Not that I really want a 40 Ford sedan right now but the stock build might interest me down the road.

I just watched a review video on the Gasman 49 Ford and I think I can use the slicks included in the kit and get them to fit inside the fender wells with the right wheel combo and some inner well trimming. etc..Actually alterations as already mentioned and spoken about within this thread. I just had an idea in my head that the Gasman slicks were larger than they are. Last I knew they had some of these kits listed at Amazon, if still so I'll order one up later today.

Edit: Now purchased from Amazon for $21.99, should have it in hand Tues.

Edited by Dave G.
additional text

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2018 at 2:37 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I can measure all of 'em if you need numbers

On 11/18/2018 at 4:08 PM, Don Sikora II said:

The Revell Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit includes a pair of skinny M&H piecrust slicks. Don't have the Parts Pack, but wouldn't be surprised if it included these same slicks, and the Beatnik Bandit should be easy to find and inexpensive.

The slicks from the Beatnik Bandit are engraved as 7.10 x 15 M&H Racemaster Dragster on the sidewalls. Like Don said, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the ones in the Revell parts pack that Ace-Garageguy posted.

In another post on the thread, Casey showed this tire in his pic #4.

I've been doing some research to see if this slick would be era-correct for a late '50s car. I can't prove it but I'm pretty sure that it would be. I might add a couple of grooves to make street legal cheater slicks. Does anyone know for sure?