Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italdesign Nazca M12

Dominik

Italdesign Nazca M12 - Revell, KitNr.7345

Some day, i'm lucky to get a kit that i always wanted to built because its really rare - and sometimes if its offered they want a horroble price. But sometimes, you can get a kit began as a gluebomb or something like that.

I found this one started and some parts from the frame were broken. I grabbed it for a less price, lucky about it and started to built. I'm wondering, that i've never seen one built - it isn't that bad! In my opinion it is well made, with the frame and details. I was pleased with it. a small sad point is, that the "gullwings"-windows are not movable as the Uhlenhaut 300SLR showed.

I made no detailwork on the engine, no changes at all - without (how often) to work on the stance.

Paint is silver for rims out of the rattlecan, clearcoat as always. I painted the lousy chromeplated rims black. More isn't done on it. I like it.

CIMG171230_008.jpg.fee623b2113309dbd9b483f6b06d2928.jpg

CIMG171230_009.jpg.1ca46f45f91969e915f184335f099ffd.jpg

CIMG171230_010.jpg.21ad0a71cbe2e0d9b603ac2957f3d9cc.jpg

CIMG171230_011.jpg.6d48e5067a9ce1415d063c6883f1ce8b.jpg

CIMG171230_012.jpg.f4b6aba20468cc70a4fb2862b83be4c1.jpg

CIMG171230_014.jpg.b103b3b215017a6a10fce7c2495e6ce0.jpg

CIMG171230_017.jpg.8086f1b7bbab4da3435951d1e4dbfd0c.jpg

CIMG171230_015.jpg.37344b26cedc081b6c77e31647ca0e61.jpg

CIMG171230_016.jpg.77e999404734000b0077e1570f004e05.jpg

That looks great, Dominik... very futuristic, still! I guess it's about the same vintage as the Revell Bugatti EB110, which I thought was a tough build but a pretty good kit! I've got one in the stash, though when I build mine it'll be with the BMW "kidney" grille, which apparently had to come off the kit and the real thing at the last minute...

Nice to see one built up!

All the best,

M.

Cool, someone actually built this!  You did a fine job!  I thought the windows were supposed to be moveable too.  Did it assemble ok?  

I have two in my stash, first one bought on closeout sale from a drug store going out of business when it was a new kit, second a few months ago via Facebook 'Model Car Market' when it was showing in the background of other models, I asked, he offered a reasonable price, snagged it!

But what has challenged me to start it, how to do the windows.  The concept cars had what looks like NASA gold on helmet visors.  Will be experimenting with Alclad gold over clear plastic, no black base of course.  Then of course correcting the grill.  BMW had two versions of this show car, they had a spyder version which would take more work to modify, and the headlights were different.  I have the Autoweek issues, noticed the same license plate for both.  Finding chrome BMW badges moved this up my long to-do list.

IMG_6945_Fotor.jpg

I just dug out my kit, a Revell Germany issue. The instructions still show the BMW grille. There look to have been two tiny modifications to the parts: 98, the grille surface in black, has a couple of extra fins in the middle, and the main front body shell has had a piece removed in the centre of the aperture. You can see exactly where it was on the mould. All that's needed to build it as intended is a slim, slightly Y-shaped plastic rod pillar in the middle of the hole, and cutting away the raised detail on the middle of part 98. A two minute job...

The windows on mine are tinted pretty dark, so it'll be time for some window tint film, I think for the gold...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon
  • Like 1

Fine looking buildup of a model we very rarely see. I bought several of these years back (when they were really cheap)...one to build straight as a historical reference, the rest to hack into other things.

This is one of Georgetto Giugiaro's designs that demonstrates the man's extraordinary talent. Perfect proportions, subtle, elegant, yet brutally fast appearing without a lot of stuck on flippers and vents and whiffles that most of today's designers seem to find necessary.

Hmmmm...looks like a ZF gearbox ala DeTomaso Pantera in there. Never noticed that before.