[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Superbird McMonte

Baldwin Motion’s officially model builder

Recommended Posts

While looking for the resin 1970 L88 Motion hood I made years ago, I found this old body from around 1995. 

33A8A87E-90B3-40E6-8038-FB8DFB9E828F.thumb.jpeg.befdbd9dde7c823d078c6e33e99b9e18.jpeg

DB571BED-831C-4D96-919E-D2869A0C255C.thumb.jpeg.1635115f964165510287be0171072bda.jpeg

At one time it was used as a master to cast Baldwin Motion Phase III GT Corvettes. They were for me and Joel exclusively. At one time it was a finished replica of the car he bought back from a Hollywood lot. It was in all the Corvette magazines in 1992.

4A9E4E10-FF0A-4779-B3BD-463FEB133D49.thumb.jpeg.07440a068f9ef31f76bc9bef6d4403fa.jpeg

AA9D0C66-5D0B-41DA-B0FF-16BBC215916B.jpeg.2d4b54fce3c34e73ff2399cc5822bdf1.jpeg

I went to a shop in New Jersey that was doing a frame on restoration with Joel in his 5.0 Mustang convertible to check progress. Today the car is in Dan McMichael’s collection and has been on My Classic Car.

BF0240F9-DB75-45F6-B376-C371049F346B.thumb.jpeg.ee5c89a0f345277e4b7a21c3394af07c.jpeg

An interesting story about this gold Corvette.

4339D677-7F5B-4EC3-8E41-D46C019FC90A.thumb.jpeg.9ed9469c924bea2c8c2e0fbc971ba60d.jpeg

19F96EF8-9CC4-424B-947F-E271AFB4C37E.thumb.jpeg.bab5298bf1948482dbacee98324f370a.jpeg

C2F8D801-8E79-42CC-AAB1-4AE5C9991C9B.thumb.jpeg.b8b0948fe2e9d24637d1a7d4d20b47d6.jpegWhile I was at the shop in New Jersey, Joel and the shop owner we’re looking at pictures of a phase 3 Corvette that was blue with white accents and the Shelby scoops.  Joel was trying to decide whether or not it might have been a car that he built. Looking over their shoulder’s I noticed that it had two slotted taillights.  Joel said it looked like something he might’ve done but never did one in that color. I said it’s probably the gold one in the magazine article that you took pictures of when it was new. It has two taillights also. It dawned on Joel that it was the same car repainted a number of times. Because flipping through the pictures he had, they were pictures of it red with white accents. That car has since been restored back to gold with black accents and was auctioned off on one of the Barrett Jackson auctions a number of years ago.

This is one of Joe’s first phase 3 GT Corvettes. It was featured at the Waldorf Astoria auto show in 1969. Zora Arkus-Duntov loved this car!

621B4FA1-57E5-4389-8372-A0BBB7B3C666.thumb.jpeg.cfa104cc624c382a4acbc73c21701936.jpeg

 

3AD7446D-CDAB-4F19-B508-A4E5064852B7.thumb.jpeg.e2e41a5c9d505ce61d56148317efef0e.jpeg

3D4A54CB-3435-48FC-A8FC-C365A7AEF4B1.thumb.jpeg.4e321f9b2692f5ca0715d907964b8f39.jpeg

I resin cast a full bumper front end conversion kit for the Camaro 15 years ago. Wish I knew were that mold went!

6FC58508-EC71-44FD-8307-F1B6A511A676.thumb.jpeg.fe08e6b4a256b72e57ccb5950b228035.jpeg

2CB7C7DE-D01D-42C4-A752-B31CDC96DD0D.thumb.jpeg.6b25c45da33d010c2d982d396f61db65.jpeg

EC1D42AF-C813-4B60-AC8F-1F7C15691E6B.thumb.jpeg.653514b89b6d1bfcf4fe0a2eba2baead.jpeg

This green Camaro is the oldest, completed  Motion build I still have. Built in 2000, it is my first base/clear attempt. 

03218208-8FEA-45E4-965C-B7DD802F35AF.thumb.jpeg.70f5003044f796af1d4d9e40e86526dd.jpeg

71229AE3-9785-4D11-A8EA-31FD77E856D6.thumb.jpeg.d51575c19eb0ca2aa7450105b40e5b68.jpeg

7FF838A2-C575-449A-B443-BEA989DA144E.thumb.jpeg.6847187ecc1b5a4ca38a88bf927c4dad.jpeg

9C944B50-397B-45C3-A9DD-DB89E07B7AC2.thumb.jpeg.d703563b47900d8f4407b8ced5df7bc1.jpeg

This red Manta Ray was a curbside resin kit I was selling around 2001. This model went to Joel.

BB748778-D2C1-4CE6-88AD-AB6B77EBD6FE.jpeg.a401aa90fe7b9ab260aab943805fc891.jpeg

These two are across the room right now and I have a third in red again, awaiting clear. Joel only built 3 Manta Rays, so I will have a replica of each!

C70B3998-D18F-478A-BB3B-D8BAF8213FBF.jpeg.a487aaab8aa4be7428b89150390e3f7b.jpeg

5F677056-0C49-4585-910F-A146826F4300.thumb.jpeg.20e81aef65cbedca70bba29f8f34fed7.jpegThis one is the Motion Moray. I presently sits in clay to make a mold of the body!

771C2BE3-5D8E-476F-AFF4-69F207EA2DCB.jpeg.eac0325aa4fa59ebc4ccb04b4cdf8941.jpeg

2A5C8350-615C-49EA-ACB1-2C8788215DEF.jpeg.467f49e2abe3df80b343c6745ef2b6a2.jpeg

This a Motion Nova hiding on my desk.EF2000F5-2CFA-432C-8B5B-CD696A814333.thumb.jpeg.fa7cee6c1ea580e4224d1bb74604d846.jpeg

B02B064C-2B1F-4A40-9C23-15317A1AB10B.thumb.jpeg.c5f223793f073975f9f3dba5d384cf50.jpeg

33012B8A-4311-405E-8A6B-7F1EFC2CAF92.thumb.jpeg.25d3cf1c76779724e1512b87721bcc7a.jpeg

261724AC-7055-4B3A-8641-1D5ABB8217DF.thumb.jpeg.8fa64d7ff49d5821acffe8315fdec4e5.jpeg

ED40628F-B866-49FE-ACC3-CACFF042EEF5.thumb.jpeg.b6eb9ae581ce29c9058f43678b703535.jpeg

5236B6F0-F423-4254-98EE-1157486F0A62.thumb.jpeg.5c198239774797d74474e6c024fc8cb5.jpeg

35435C59-1CDF-4547-86D3-E5DE46911A9E.thumb.jpeg.3353b3a91e8cd63002282ee9dfc20c52.jpeg

43D92CCA-D4C8-43BD-BB9A-A43FF3B7D2A4.thumb.jpeg.58ead5e0e3b8a669bf3bc44e07b2190b.jpeg

32EE42B3-C892-4670-8557-D9A04958F2F7.thumb.jpeg.b6818394e8211d9805051db3527225cf.jpeg

78095255-F2DB-4137-AC0D-506634507052.thumb.jpeg.205fa201f17e5cd994749aa35f363f42.jpegHope you like them! 

Any questions or comments are welcome!

Back to the 1968 Baldwin Motion Chevelle!

Edited by Superbird McMonte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool stuff !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the BM 70 Phase III corvette been available anywhere, either resin or plastic? A quick google search showed one from Mini Exotics. I love that body style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool pics and builds in progress,years ago I bought the phase III GT corvette in resin from mini exotics,but couldn't figure how I was going to cut out the back panel to install the taillights,so in the box it still sits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Has the BM 70 Phase III corvette been available anywhere, either resin or plastic? A quick google search showed one from Mini Exotics. I love that body style.

 Yes, Mini Exotics made one at least 25 years ago. Not to toot my own horn but Joel like mine better. 😜 He bought the Mini Exotics one and did a comparison. What he really liked about mine was that I did the side vents the same way he did.  The first couple of side vents on the real Motion cars were cut off the car is turned inside out and put back on. When I did mine, to get the same affect I had to pour resin directly onto the plastic vents with a mold release. Then, popped the resin off and cleaned out the holes. I made a mold of those pieces and then copied them in resin.

A funny thing about mini exotics, when they realized they were selling the resin body to Joel they removed the Motion emblem from the little rubber sheet of photo etch emblems that came with the resin body.

 I told Joel that there used to be Motion emblems on that little sheet. He got a laugh out of it because he figured they thought he would sue them for copyright infringement. He said he would never go after a little guy like that. Only a big corporation that was duplicating something of his without permission.  Funny thing is Revell did exactly that. The first two issues of the Motion Corvette and 69 Camaro from the Skips series had a sheet with his decals on it and no permission from Motion. 

2 hours ago, kelson said:

Very cool pics and builds in progress,years ago I bought the phase III GT corvette in resin from mini exotics,but couldn't figure how I was going to cut out the back panel to install the taillights,so in the box it still sits.

Do you have the photo etch in there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

 

 

 

This a Motion Nova hiding on my desk.EF2000F5-2CFA-432C-8B5B-CD696A814333.thumb.jpeg.fa7cee6c1ea580e4224d1bb74604d846.jpeg

 

Is the stinger scoop on the Nova a separate piece that you made a mold out of or did you just cut it out of another hood for a one time build? I ask this because I am planning on doing a Gumball Rally Yellow Camaro build in the future and am currently trying to figure out the best way to do the hood. It'll be a while before I can do anything, but I just want to get some things lined up for when I can as I've yet to see the hood or scoop offered in resin. By the way, all those Motion cars look sweet!

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Is the stinger scoop on the Nova a separate piece that you made a mold out of or did you just cut it out of another hood for a one time build? I ask this because I am planning on doing a Gumball Rally Yellow Camaro build in the future and am currently trying to figure out the best way to do the hood. It'll be a while before I can do anything, but I just want to get some things lined up for when I can as I've yet to see the hood or scoop offered in resin. By the way, all those Motion cars look sweet!

The scoop is off of the 67 Revell Corvette. I made a Motion hood like that for the AMT Nova many years ago in resin. It didn’t interchange with the Revell Nova so I transferred the scoop to the new hood. I’ll look around for an extra if you like. If you’re using the AMT Nova, it’s a homerun! If you’re using Revell’s Nova, you could use the resin scoop or watch for me to cast this one. 

8DC0C2B0-084D-4917-B5DC-7FA8D1A9B414.thumb.png.6e2784935cdf59bf7c3f5deb90d51897.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

 Yes, Mini Exotics made one at least 25 years ago. Not to toot my own horn but Joel like mine better. 😜 He bought the Mini Exotics one and did a comparison. What he really liked about mine was that I did the side vents the same way he did.  The first couple of side vents on the real Motion cars were cut off the car is turned inside out and put back on. When I did mine, to get the same affect I had to pour resin directly onto the plastic vents with a mold release. Then, popped the resin off and cleaned out the holes. I made a mold of those pieces and then copied them in resin.

A funny thing about mini exotics, when they realized they were selling the resin body to Joel they removed the Motion emblem from the little rubber sheet of photo etch emblems that came with the resin body.

 I told Joel that there used to be Motion emblems on that little sheet. He got a laugh out of it because he figured they thought he would sue them for copyright infringement. He said he would never go after a little guy like that. Only a big corporation that was duplicating something of his without permission.  Funny thing is Revell did exactly that. The first two issues of the Motion Corvette and 69 Camaro from the Skips series had a sheet with his decals on it and no permission from Motion. 

Do you have the photo etch in there?

Yup,it still has the photoetch in the box with the Motion emblems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kelson said:

Yup,it still has the photoetch in the box with the Motion emblems.

You’re very lucky! I don’t have any but I did make a mold of a set! They were mounted on plastic. I need to mold them on a thinner media. I’ll be working on that soon!😜👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 8:12 AM, Superbird McMonte said:

The scoop is off of the 67 Revell Corvette. I made a Motion hood like that for the AMT Nova many years ago in resin. It didn’t interchange with the Revell Nova so I transferred the scoop to the new hood. I’ll look around for an extra if you like. If you’re using the AMT Nova, it’s a homerun! If you’re using Revell’s Nova, you could use the resin scoop or watch for me to cast this one. 

Thanks, I won't need one right away so I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. I just don't want to have to buy a whole kit just to cut a piece off of a hood, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks, I won't need one right away so I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. I just don't want to have to buy a whole kit just to cut a piece off of a hood, lol.

 I’ve said the exact same thing a number of times! And then I buy the kit anyway! 😂😂😂👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the Motion Vega you built. What did you use for the hood scoop? Do you have the decals for this car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 2:29 PM, gearhedjon said:

I really like the Motion Vega you built. What did you use for the hood scoop? Do you have the decals for this car?

 That is the hood scoop from the 1969 Baldwin Motion Camaro.  I had used that scoop to make a hood for a 69 Chevelle. After I cast it and resin I used it again on the Vega. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrific thread Dominick,  Thank you for sharing the inside scoop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What can I say... COOL cars, all of them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you get the wheels for the Moray and Manta Ray builds? It looks like you cast your own copies. I take it you started with the basic wheel and perhaps modified it to make a deeper version? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now