Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebay prices dropping!!!!

32 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

And we only have ourselves to blame for this one. Back when online shopping was the "new" thing, everyone bought from there because it was cheaper - driving the hobby shops OOB.

Now it's the ONLY way to find anything, and the prices aren't so cheap anymore. 

We reap what we have sown.

In the UK most of what we call our High Streets have been reduced to Charity Shops, Estate Agents, Hairdressers/Barbers and coffee shops. The big Supermarkets, Tesco, Morrison Sainburys, Asda etc have taken all of the customers out of town with huge stores being built. The landlords have hiked up the rents here so steep, small traders (hobby shops) don't have the money any longer to rent. There are no large chain stores of model shops as most have gone out of business who have refused to accept online trading.

A small newspaper shop in town has moved from one side of the street to another due to his rent review increase being too big, and the other landlord offering a cut price rent to fill his premises. The new rent deal for his old shop(still empty after nearly twelve months) is £1100 per month plus electricity, refuse collection and water. On top of that the new tenant has to pay nearly the same as his rent for business shop rates to the local council. So £2000 approx is to be paid on top of shop fittings and stock of whatever he is trading in. As it might be a new business start-up he can't get any credit so has to pay for his fittings and stock in cash!

By two sons were very good at BMX racing and I looked at setting them up with a bike shop when they left school That was in the mid 1980's and we looked at the proposition and I needed £50,000 just for the first year with no profit, therefore no wages for them!

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

I wish the shipping charges could drop. I pass on a lot of ebay items due to some of those shipping costs. Not paying 20 bucks for a kit and then 17 bucks for shipping. maybe I'm cheap !:D

True, high shipping costs have been the biggest deterrent to me buying stuff online, especially when the items up for sale aren't any cheaper than buying locally.

Sellers who ask full retail plus shipping, or even sometimes less than retail but charge rediculous amounts for shipping don't make any sense to me. 

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

It's based on the percentage of his sales. If he sold 1 item and got a perfect rating, then he would have a 100% positive. 

Understand the rating system, but not quite what I meant.  I'm talking about the seller who's been on eBay, say, less than a year. But already has many, many positive feedbacks. 

Which I guess could be just evidence of hard work, but always looked a little suspicious to me. Especially if the seller is charging higher than normal prices, doesn't combine shipping, etc.

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

I wish the shipping charges could drop. I pass on a lot of ebay items due to some of those shipping costs. Not paying 20 bucks for a kit and then 17 bucks for shipping. maybe I'm cheap !:D

No you are not cheap, just aware. The going rate to ship a kit anywhere in the Continental US, is about $9.00. That’s if you are shipping across the country. Much less if it is the next state over. Then you figure getting it to the post office, boxing, tape, etc. But $17 is s bit ridiculous, especially when they are most likely shipping more than one item. But many sellers do offer a flat rate. I’ve even had a money refunded to me, and have refunded money, to a buyer, if the shipping was considerably less. Just like anything “buyer beware”! If I can’t find it at the LHS, or locally anywhere first, I’ll search eBay. 

Edited by Brutalform

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

...I’ve even had a money refunded to me, and have refunded money, to a buyer, if the shipping was considerably less...

I always do that when selling on eBay.  Buyers often win multiple auctions, and in my listings, I tell them to either ask for a combined shipping total, or wait for my invoice with the total after the auction.  But buyers often pay immediately, and get socked by eBay for shipping charges on every item.  When I go to the Post Office and get the actual shipping cost, I refund any difference thru PayPal.

As you mentioned, some of those "handling" charges eBay sellers tack onto the shipping are just ridiculous.  However much I want a kit, I refuse to deal with greedheads who do that.

I once did a trade with a guy on this board. He's on the West Coast, I'm on the East Coast.  So both of us are at the furthest ends of the USPS route.  Both of our kits were BIG, and nowadays USPS charges by size and weight.  It was sort of funny: both of us paid exactly the same amount of shipping. $17.10, as I remember. 

On 2/13/2019 at 12:44 AM, peteski said:

Wow, that is some strong aversion to eBay. TO me it has its place and it is a world-wide marketplace with items I guarantee that you will not find elsewhere.  But yes, there is lots of garbage there too.

With all this hoopla, and since nobody else wants to, I think I'll ask the seller if it is a typo.

Well, I did contact the seller back on Feb. 13th politely asking whether the price was a typo or not.  He has not replied as of yet, so I have to assume that he is really hoping that someone will pay that price.  Nutz!