Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 A12 Roadrunner (I will need some advice)

Brutalform

Since the Superbee is finished except for hood decals, I decided to get on with the Roadrunner I have started on the bench. 

The only extra details would be a distributor and wires. No carbs this time because the air cleaner will not be removable. Also no lift off good because I don’t have an extra. 

I would really be happy if it turned out to look like this car. 

46A37B43-6637-40A0-85E1-EA5E41277943.jpeg

I have s set of Joseph’s (Fireball) 1/25 scale rims and redline tires. Not the same as the Superbee, as these are a one piece casting. I do like how the rears are slightly wider though. 

Just needs the red paint added. 

85383CA7-3227-4E01-90BA-DF4620437940.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

Now for the advice, from someone with more knowledge on Mopars than myself. 

I bought a bench seat with headrests, and a hood from Hart’s Parts. Beautiful parts by the way..... but the hood has a bulge in it before the scoop opening. All of the pics I’ve seen of this car do not show this feature. Was any of these cars produced with a hood like the one I have? Should I sand the bulge off? 

C7D742AC-D53E-4C1B-B763-87DDAA944938.jpeg

F4B4B76D-4836-49EA-89EF-83646EB86E42.jpeg

646A02C3-3327-408B-8D66-A68925732FFA.jpeg

Tom, the bulge is there on the real cars, it just looks like it's a little more pronounced in the resin hood, enough primer and paint should make it look less pronounced, then again it may have been designed that way for the paint application so it wouldn't disappear after it's painted, :)

1969_road_runner_a12_clone.png

Edited by Geno

15 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Hart's Resin has a '69 Road runner grille.

https://hartspartsresin.com/product/69-plymouth-road-runner-grill/

Here's the Roadrunner I built with the Hart's Resin grille.

U2L2JTc.jpg

That’s a fine looking Mopar, Mike! I like your personalized plate. 

I had a resin grill, without the emblem, and it was too big. Even after sanding it was still big. Then it cracked in half. Apparently whoever made it, messed up.

Funny thing is, I ordered the hood and seat, thinking that grill I had in my bin would slip right in. If I would have known I would have just ordered it then. 

Im going to order one tomorrow. 

I don't know if you had considered correcting any of the body flaws on the AMT kits, but it's worth thinking about before you go to paint.

Especially if you're going to add any expensive aftermarket parts or a lot of detailing.

The biggest one, that I really can't get past anymore since it was pointed out to me, is the incorrect shape of the rear wheel opening.

I don't know how hard it would be to fix, but it becomes fairly obvious when compared to the Johan body.

The rear quarter windows are obviously too "sharp" at the C-pillar as well.

AMT

2v2JPr4wrxwUbWP.jpg

Johan

2v2JPr4T5xwUbWP.jpg

Steve

9 hours ago, Brutalform said:

That’s a fine looking Mopar, Mike! I like your personalized plate. 

I had a resin grill, without the emblem, and it was too big. Even after sanding it was still big. Then it cracked in half. Apparently whoever made it, messed up.

Funny thing is, I ordered the hood and seat, thinking that grill I had in my bin would slip right in. If I would have known I would have just ordered it then. 

Im going to order one tomorrow. 

I had to modify the nose of the body behind the grille in order for it to fit.  The grille is not meant for the AMT body, but a little clearence of the sections behind the grille will allow the grille to fit perfectly.  I think the grille was originally made for the JoHan '69 body.  Good luck!

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I don't know if you had considered correcting any of the body flaws on the AMT kits, but it's worth thinking about before you go to paint.

Especially if you're going to add any expensive aftermarket parts or a lot of detailing.

The biggest one, that I really can't get past anymore since it was pointed out to me, is the incorrect shape of the rear wheel opening.

I don't know how hard it would be to fix, but it becomes fairly obvious when compared to the Johan body.

The rear quarter windows are obviously too "sharp" at the C-pillar as well.

AMT

2v2JPr4wrxwUbWP.jpg

Johan

2v2JPr4T5xwUbWP.jpg

Steve

I saw a post by Mr Obsessive where he shows how to correct the body. I really don’t plan on getting into that right now. The AMT body obviously isn’t perfect, but it won’t bother me. Just like the Buick GN rear side windows, or the 90 Mustang LX roof line, they would have to be grossly out of proportion, before I’d consider correcting it.

4 hours ago, mrmike said:

I had to modify the nose of the body behind the grille in order for it to fit.  The grille is not meant for the AMT body, but a little clearence of the sections behind the grille will allow the grille to fit perfectly.  I think the grille was originally made for the JoHan '69 body.  Good luck!

Thanks Mike. I ordered one last night. 

11 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Johan is the basis by which all other bodies should be judged. 

"Johan - accept no substitutes"

Shame they weren't as respected in their day. When we could buy them new for $5 each!

Yea, that price is gone forever. 

I had a JoHan Cadillac I sold on eBay a few years ago. I was amazed that it sold for what it did, with many bidders. 

Well here's one that you might want to consider that would be a little easier.

While the resin front seat looks very nice, if it were mine, I would seriously consider cutting off the headrests and replacing the posts.

It would be a relatively easy fix for a detail that looks entirely too thick and out of proportion.

Or even better yet, you could remount them in the down position.

image.thumb.png.a4221ae88a8e679e66e6b5ccbb82b994.png

image.png.0a97b276964eddbf4ac6fe2c76f49b05.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

30 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well here's one that you might want to consider that would be a little easier.

While the resin front seat looks very nice, if it were mine, I would seriously consider cutting off the headrests and replacing the posts.

It would be a relatively easy fix for a detail that looks entirely too thick and out of proportion.

Or even better yet, you could remount them in the down position.

image.thumb.png.a4221ae88a8e679e66e6b5ccbb82b994.png

image.png.0a97b276964eddbf4ac6fe2c76f49b05.png

Steve

I’m a step ahead of you Steve. I already have the holes in the seat back drilled a little deeper, and the post cut short enough just to secure them to the seat, in a lowered position. 

They look about as thick as garden hose. 

3 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I’m a step ahead of you Steve. I already have the holes in the seat back drilled a little deeper, and the post cut short enough just to secure them to the seat, in a lowered position. 

They look about as thick as garden hose. 

Great minds think alike! ;)

Steve

On 3/24/2019 at 1:54 PM, Brutalform said:

And I’ll have to remove the “GTX” from the grill unless I can grub another from somewhere. 

B97F27DB-9739-444F-B5D9-13EB9D586E42.jpeg

Tom, Check out Rico Radenz's Shapeways parts, he has 68 and 69 RR, GTX Satellites 3 d grilles that are beautiful.

Grills_01.jpg.2abceb32d8a1e9c64134b52ca264b0c0.jpg

5aabb3f7095df_69GTXGrill_03.jpg.eddf086487fa1eb3257e70bf1fc84455.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ra-sti-acute-s-scale-accessories

Edited by BobbyG
added pic

5 hours ago, BobbyG said:

Tom, Check out Rico Radenz's Shapeways parts, he has 68 and 69 RR, GTX Satellites 3 d grilles that are beautiful.

Grills_01.jpg.2abceb32d8a1e9c64134b52ca264b0c0.jpg

5aabb3f7095df_69GTXGrill_03.jpg.eddf086487fa1eb3257e70bf1fc84455.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ra-sti-acute-s-scale-accessories

Thanks Bob. I like that they are see thru like the 1:1 grill. Little expensive but appears to be well worth it.

Edited by Brutalform

1 hour ago, Superbird McMonte said:

I have a bunch of 1969 grills cast from the Johan originals. If you would like a couple, message me your address.

I should be ok. I ordered one from Hart’s Parts. But I do appreciate the offer. Thank you.