Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Garage and Tools: WIP

David G.

22 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I've been using this kit for my shadowbox dio. Real nice kit. I like what you have going on here.

Thanks Rob. It's a neat kit, just the tools alone would be worth the purchase.

14 hours ago, PHPaul said:

Question - Is the rest of the garage (walls and floor) going to be weathered to match the equipment?

No, the garage is not really suitable for displaying larger American cars so I don't actually plan on using the garage part for much more than storing all the bits and bobs as I complete them. I'm working on a larger photo diorama which is about four times the size of this one. The larger diorama will provide three or four shooting "locations" for photos. That's the plan anyway.

Thanks for the feedback,

David G.

Wow! Great Work. I love it, but I've never let my tool box get that dirty. Since even a small one that size is about 3 Grand from Snap-on, they are WAY TOO expensive to let get that dirty.  That said, I have seen them look that way. Mine Though, even after 20 years, still looks almost new.

18 hours ago, kelson said:

There is a seller on Ebay selling a 3d printed model car chassis dyno,it looks very nice!.?

Not quite the direction I plan to go but I may look into that. Thanks for the tip.

13 hours ago, alexis said:

Wow! Great Work. I love it, but I've never let my tool box get that dirty. Since even a small one that size is about 3 Grand from Snap-on, they are WAY TOO expensive to let get that dirty.  That said, I have seen them look that way. Mine Though, even after 20 years, still looks almost new.

Thank you. I actually dialed it back a bit on the tool box. When I saw it again the morning after I weathered it, I thought "Yeah, that's a bit much." and removed about half of the grime.

Thank you for taking the time to look, all comments are appreciated.

David G.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

After reading the start of the thread I was going to offer my garage kit to add to yours. As I read along I see you have decided to build something bigger. I like your weathering. I am still in the shiny-new phase of my builds.

Thanks for your comment Bill, and your thoughtfulness.

I like to build a wide variety of model types and styles. As I like to say, "Shiny and Dull, I build 'em all!"

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for posts of your work, I would enjoy seeing what you've done.

David G. 

That reminds me, it's time for an update!

Just a little one, but here it is.

The next little step I chose to take in this journey of a thousand steps is the oil pails. As I began to remove the handles from their sprues I realized that they were too thin. Way too thin. Though they looked great, I was unable to remove the handles without damaging them. I decided that the only way to go was to make my own out of music wire.

Garage_20.jpg.59cc411f2e86254d7eae472d79825e3b.jpg

With the biggest challenge of this little part of the project behind me, the rest of it went together rather quickly. The handles are bits of wire insulation.

Garage_23.jpg.09162d2a3a88a3526178a2dc9e0e2883.jpg

Here is a shot of the newest members of the garage settling into their new home.

Garage_24.jpg.8a32000e4406681afced9dba8890caa6.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

15 hours ago, David G. said:

Thanks for your comment Bill, and your thoughtfulness.

I like to build a wide variety of model types and styles. As I like to say, "Shiny and Dull, I build 'em all!"

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for posts of your work, I would enjoy seeing what you've done.

David G. 

David, Thank you for your interest, below is a pic of my most recent build with a load of about half the stuff (not detailed yet) for my current build. Also a link to the Freightliner build.

IMG_1323.JPG

Just for reference sake,  here is the Fujimi Garage using two wall and floor kits joined together:

workshop1-vi.jpg

I only used one Fujimi Tools kit, plus a scratchbuilt table, and bits and bobs from the parts bins.

The biggest drawback to this setup for me was the clear tops sag in the middle, due to not having any support.

I've considered getting a thicker piece of plexiglass to use as a top.

6 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

David, Thank you for your interest, below is a pic of my most recent build with a load of about half the stuff (not detailed yet) for my current build. Also a link to the Freightliner build.

Thanks for the link Bill. I did go check it out, you built a real sweet rig there.

6 hours ago, Bucky said:

Just for reference sake,  here is the Fujimi Garage using two wall and floor kits joined together:

workshop1-vi.jpg

I only used one Fujimi Tools kit, plus a scratchbuilt table, and bits and bobs from the parts bins.

The biggest drawback to this setup for me was the clear tops sag in the middle, due to not having any support.

Thanks for the photo Keith, nice work on the tools and equipment.

When I bought mine I had no idea of how the size would work out as completed. Had I known, I probably would have bought two.

As it it though, mine's not bad it's just not suitable for large American cars.

Thanks again for the feedback.

David G.

• 4 months later...

I know it's been a while since I worked on this one. I kind of did a rage quit because of some issues I was having but I decided to give this one another go.

Here are some jack stands I finished the other day.

Garage_25.jpg.2bfb789752b03413f8c4e058dae83b37.jpg

This is listed as an air conditioner but I think that something was lost in translation because it looks like a wall furnace to me.

Garage_26.jpg.818a522f2a99dc15984521acc77fac09.jpg

I wish I would have thought to put a little weight in the bottom before I glued the back on but I didn't, oh well. I put some double stick tape on the back instead. It will always be placed against a wall so, there you go.

Garage_27.jpg.5a3a1acccab31129859532ff68f0c091.jpg

Here's a view of the shop with all of the new additions in place.

Garage_29.jpg.38f0d10cbdb96484632580f4aba13828.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

16 hours ago, kelson said:

Glad to see you back at it!,it looks good!.

Thank you Curtis, it's good to be working on this one again.

15 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Excellent detail, David........ especially the handles on the oil pails ! The whole model is nicely done.

David

Thanks David, I'm glad that that one worked out as well as it did.

Thanks again,

David G.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:14 AM, Bucky said:

Another Zombie Thread climbs out of the grave!

Lowe's can cut you a piece of Plexiglas.  The top of my paint spray booth has a Plexiglas panel, to let in light.  Over time it tends to get "cloudy." And of course get paint on it.  I took the old sheet to Lowe's and had them cut an exact copy.

You might even find an offcut piece that will work in the trash can.  Lowe's will still charge you for it, but not as much as cutting a full new sheet.  I've even picked up a few of those offcuts and used them to cover part of the workbench.  It's a good hard surface for cutting on, better than wood.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I got these bits done.

The creeper and engine stand.

Garage_35.jpg.9aa9d460ec7393f6d82eb2c2ac030e5f.jpg

I didn't do much detailing on the bottom because they'll likely never be upside down. While, the creeper may lean against the wall sometimes, if the engine stand flips over there's a whole different set of problems there! :D

Garage_36.jpg.b80246b95c7ca3524405ee9d214a3b47.jpg

And of course a shot with them in the service bay.

Garage_34.jpg.ff61602337cbbcf2a60579f805888f16.jpg

David G.

12 hours ago, Bainford said:

Looking great. Very nice weathering. 
That photo reminds me of my trade school auto shop on the first day of school, with the shiny floors and well used equipment. 

Thank you for the compliment Trevor. 

I remember when I was in school we had Metal, Wood and Auto Shops as well as Band and Home Economics. That was a long time ago and most of those are gone now. :( 

Here in the States a majority of public schools have long since done away with Shop Classes, do schools in Canada still offer Shop Class?

David G.

9 hours ago, David G. said:

Here in the States a majority of public schools have long since done away with Shop Classes, do schools in Canada still offer Shop Class?

It's been a long time for me, now, but I'm willing to bet that a good quality high-school shop class is a hard to find. Perhaps replaced by computer labs, now.

13 hours ago, landman said:

Nice Dio. Everytime I see a two post lift I say i have to get one haven't done it yet. My old single post looks elderly compared to these.

DSC_0013.JPG

Thanks Pat. You have a lot going on there visually, looks great! My plan is to eventually build something like you have there and use all these little bits to "clutter up" the scene as a photo setting.

12 hours ago, gasser59 said:

This is a great dio and there's so much to look over. If I may suggest, add a red based automotive decal to your creeper t accentuate the red head pad. Here's mine hiding under the window.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 3.54.20 PM.png

Thanks Brad. I have a lot of red going on already. What I was thinking about was a way to make a manufacturer's stencil in black or dark blue. 

Something like this.

creeper.jpg.f85d10cc82e81bde3ba8f9dc9a5b48a8.jpg

I may or may not pursue this- it's just sort of bubbling on a back burner somewhere in the kitchen of my mind.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback.

David G.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:03 AM, David G. said:

This is listed as an air conditioner but I think that something was lost in translation because it looks like a wall furnace to me.

Garage_26.jpg.818a522f2a99dc15984521acc77fac09.jpg

I wish I would have thought to put a little weight in the bottom before I glued the back on but I didn't, oh well. I put some double stick tape on the back instead. It will always be placed against a wall so, there you go.

Garage_27.jpg.5a3a1acccab31129859532ff68f0c091.jpg

David G.

David, I too noticed the pieces are so light weight they are unstable. I hid a piece of sheet metal under the floor and attached mini magnets to a number of items. I wish I would have thought of it before I painted them.

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

6 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

David, I too noticed the pieces are so light weight they are unstable. I hid a piece of sheet metal under the floor and attached mini magnets to a number of items. I wish I would have thought of it before I painted them.

Thanks for your comment Bill.

Now that you mention it, I remember learning of you doing this as I followed your WIP on the diorama build. What an excellently clever idea!  I ended up using museum wax to hold the oil ad gas cans on the shelf and double-stick tape on the back and base of the heater to keep it in place.

Great looking diorama BTW

David G. 

• David G. changed the title to Fujimi Garage and Tools: WIP