Model Cars Magazine Forum

My father, as a teenager/young man, flew in Lancasters during WWII.  He was one of the few to make it out alive.

I had the privilege of getting in one of the remaining still flying Lancasters when it landed in Ottawa a few years ago and after seeing the insides, I don't know how any of the crew survived.  Cramped; thin skinned; no insulation; interior noise must have been incredible; attack from enemy aircraft; flak; bad weather; etc  - brave boys/men all.

7 hours ago, showrods said:

My father, as a teenager/young man, flew in Lancasters during WWII.  He was one of the few to make it out alive.

I had the privilege of getting in one of the remaining still flying Lancasters when it landed in Ottawa a few years ago and after seeing the insides, I don't know how any of the crew survived.  Cramped; thin skinned; no insulation; interior noise must have been incredible; attack from enemy aircraft; flak; bad weather; etc  - brave boys/men all.

I had the same idea after touring the inside of a B-17. They were truly the Greatest Generation.

Thanks, Peter!

Thanks, Nick!

11 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Challenging your skills is exactly what makes you better!

Thanks Rusty!  I need more challenges, I have lots of room to improve.:)

1 hour ago, Belugawrx said:

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum has one of the last, flying Lancasters, and you can hear it coming for miles.

Thanks, Bruce!  I have never heard four Merlins, but we occasionally get flyovers with four Wright radials. What a wonderful sound!