Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photo reduction

I just completed a scratch built 1947 travel trailer and want to add an accurate license plate as a final detail. I have a real '47 Ohio trailer license plate in my collection and would like to photograph it for that purpose. I do not have the computer skills to manipulate it to the correct size. I seem to remember seeing a hint several years ago for producing a 1/25 size plate by fastening it to a wall then taking a picture from a specific distance then having a print made. Any suggestions? The trailer I built is a '47 Great Western Deluxe 16'. Anyone interested in seeing it can PM me their email address and I'll send you some pix. Thanks in advance.

Edited by misterNNL
Forgotten details

I've taken a license plate to the place I get copies all the time, they laid on the copier/scanner, then used PhotoShop to reduce to size.   I have them do exactly 1/2" wide, and then make some 5% larger, and more 5% smaller just to be safe.

IMG_6295_Fotor.jpg

That might be the easiest way for you. Pay a millennial to do it for you.  :lol:

I shot a photo of my neighbor's rear plate straight on. I made a copy, and used Paint to fill in the registration stickers on the copy. I then used Snipping tool in Windoze to cut the plate images from the larger photo and pasted them into Word. As Kurt said, US, Canadian, and Mexican plates should be right about 1/2 inch wide, and Word has a built-in ruler. I then printed them on photo paper. I have a pretty nice Canon printer / scanner at work. Better than the HP I have at home.

IMG_20190323_165011069.thumb.jpg.447d84882afac4cc1c54311108382d51.jpg

image.png.0bd43c106fb964d19131ed9c3133b007.png

LOL, that sure brings back some memories.  Back before digital cameras, when I was using my 35mm Nikon SLR, I figured out what distance (with specific lens) I had to be from the plate to get the correctly sized plates on a 4 x6 photo.  I did that for all the popular scales from 1:8 to 1:43.  It was not 100% perfect  (becuase of the way the lab set up their enlargers), but it was close. I still have bunch of 4 x 6 photos with those plates, ready for use. But nowadays, computers make this task so much easier, more accurate, and repeatable.

Here is one of those photo-reduced license plates with a Detail Master photoetched frame.(in 1:43 scale).

RtFront_zps92107242.jpg

6 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

I use MS Paint...it comes free with every copy of Windows.

So do I, but there's limits to that. If the source image is quite big and the required size only a few millimetres, you will end up with something unrecognizable. But I agree that it will work for license plates.

Edited by Tommy124

I can start with a photo I took with my phone, an eBay image, or one from the Acme plate maker.   I clean up and crop in a free program called Irfanview, then set it up for printing in Microsoft Word. I may have to do some different size reductions until I get an image that fits into a Model Car Garage photo etched frame. Then I’ll print several copies on 60 lb card stock off my Canon inkjet.

Tom, if you can take a clear straight on photo of the plate, email it to me and I’ll be happy to make the plates for you. You can also scan the plate if you have a flat scanner 

2 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I spent a whole $ 1.27 at the UPS store today and in 15 minutes later I had the perfect '47 trailer license plate in 1/25 scale. Could not be easier. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Aww, c'mon...show us a picture