Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bill "Grumpy" Jenkens Vega

Hello all, a couple of weeks ago I was at a swap meet and was lucky enough to pick up a "Twister Vega" and want to build a Grumpy vega  so tomorrow I'll be ordering the slixxs decals and was wondering what size motor did he run ? small block or big block,  also what type of valve covers did he use,  Will also be getting the comp resin dual quad tunnel ram for it also, Thank you for all your help, Rick

'

NHRA legal- Small block. NHRA was very specific mini cars had small blocks.

I don't think he ran a big block in the early Vega. He might of ran a big block in the Vega for match racing around 1974 but I doubt it. The Monza in its wider configuration probably had one for match racing.

Definite small block in the Vega. 

I'll try to find the book tomorrow and see if there's any pics of the engines in there. But I don't recall Grump every getting particularly fancy with valve covers, I think he mainly used simple stamped stuff. But at this point he might have used something like Morosos. 

12 hours ago, Rick Wolfe said:

Hello all, a couple of weeks ago I was at a swap meet and was lucky enough to pick up a "Twister Vega" and want to build a Grumpy vega  so tomorrow I'll be ordering the slixxs decals and was wondering what size motor did he run ? small block or big block,  also what type of valve covers did he use,  Will also be getting the comp resin dual quad tunnel ram for it also, Thank you for all your help, Rick

'

Here's the article on the restored Grumpy's Toy X Vega. It states it was a 331ci small block. https://www.dragzine.com/features/pri-coverage/pri-2013-bill-jenkins-restored-grumpys-toy-x-pro-stock-vega/

19 hours ago, iBorg said:

NHRA legal- Small block. NHRA was very specific mini cars had small blocks.

I don't think he ran a big block in the early Vega. He might of ran a big block in the Vega for match racing around 1974 but I doubt it. The Monza in its wider configuration probably had one for match racing.

He ran a small blocks for weight breaks