Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build "block" 63 Vette

Sledsel

Well, I have had my hands in too many kits that have become major projects. Seems nothing is getting finished. Well, I saw this Corvette at a good price and grabbed it. Having built it as a kid, I knew what I was getting, and was looking forward to building it again.

Simple promo type chassis, one piece interior tub, basic old AMT kit.

Overall, just as I remembered and considering the age, the mold is holding up well, very little flash, details look good, mold lines are light. 

My plan is to get it built, on the shelf and actually accomplish something. No real frills, modifying or upgrading. Probably add a few minor details under the hood and that's it. My plan is to finish in a week.

First night, assembled engine long block, sanded mold lines from the body, did  clean up for paint, added to the mounting surface above the front tires (the area in just a tad wider than the hood opening) and I did lengthen the radiator with some styrene stock to add the lower radiator hose. 

Not sure what engine option I will use since the fender has the "Fuel Injection" badge and removing without messing up the flags will be tough. I may see if I have the flags in a decal.

Color is going to be metallic burnt orange with a black interior

IMG_20190602_221025.jpg

IMG_20190602_235443.jpg

12 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Not sure what engine option I will use since the fender has the "Fuel Injection" badge and removing without messing up the flags will be tough. I may see if I have the flags in a decal.

Color is going to be metallic burnt orange with a black interior

Since "metallic burnt orange" wasn't a factory color for '63--or any other year of C2--you're already in "Day Two" territory and needn't feel constrained to retain the FI or flag emblems, or any other emblems. Smooth the whole body off if you want to! Use the BB engine! Go wild on the wheels & tires! Have FUN with it! B)

Progress on day 2. Chassis painted and detailed, engine is painted, emblems shaved off the body per Snake's thoughts, and the body primed. Weather is going to be good tomorrow, so I hope to lay some body color. The burnt orange is kinda in the air right now. 

Floor is in flat black with a satin black on the frame. Exhaust is flat aluminum.

I decided on the big block just because this will be a street machine, not a stock build.

IMG_20190604_003234[1].jpg

IMG_20190604_003533[1].jpg

Day 3 progress was a bust... layed some paint down and it was old and went on like spackle. After it set up, into the purple pond.

Day 4, did the interior, basic black, flocking for carpet, white face gauges, kit provided seat belts (thinned a bit)

Engine mostly assembled, used a parts box intake, carbs and air cleaners.

Body sanded, primed, sanded. Trying for different paint Friday.

IMG_20190607_020016[1].jpg

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Those old AMT C2 Vettes are FUN, aren't they? Drive on! B)

Yes, they are.... actually all these old AMT kits are fun. I just need to stop trying to update or improve them and enjoy them. Too many people whine and complain about these old kits.

And we have color.... The color is called Medium Metallic Blue. Not doing anything with it, no rubbing, buffing, anything, just let it dry and BMF the body.

IMG_20190607_154343.jpg

IMG_20190607_154354.jpg

4 hours ago, 58 Impala said:

Beautiful color. The 63 Splitwindow is my all time favorite car. I think the mid 60's coupes are the most beautiful cars ever designed.

X2 Tom.  I was lucky enough to buy and restore a '63 and a '66 back in the '70s when they were cheap.  Hated to see them go but with 2 kids they were not practical for a family.

On 6/9/2019 at 12:13 PM, Gramps46 said:

X2 Tom.  I was lucky enough to buy and restore a '63 and a '66 back in the '70s when they were cheap.  Hated to see them go but with 2 kids they were not practical for a family.

Gary you were fortunate to own them. For me to own any of the C2 coupes now would be a lifelong dream. I've never been in the right place or right time to afford one (I'm 62), now they're out of reach for my wallet. So I guess I'll enjoy building them in styrene.:)