Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can You Identify?

Forgive me if this isn't the right place for this topic. If not, could a moderator please move it? Thanks

Can any of you savvy model builders and kit-bashers tell me what this wheel is?

DSC02614-vi.jpg

DSC02616-vi.jpg

I found these in a kit tonight, and looked them up on the WWW. The real ones look pretty good, to me!

Sorry for the picture quality. i take pics about the same level as I build models!

Kelsey-Hayes aftermarket wheel from the late Sixties.  I've seen them referred to as "20 spoke" wheels, though they were sold under another name that I can't remember.

The unplated ones are from one issueof the AMT '69 Cougar kit (recent issues don't have them).  Plated versions are available in the AMT '66 Mercury, and '53 Corvette (the Corvette wheels do not have open slots between the spokes).

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Kelsey-Hayes aftermarket wheel from the late Sixties.  I've seen them referred to as "20 spoke" wheels, though they were sold under another name that I can't remember.

The unplated ones are from one issueof the AMT '69 Cougar kit (recent issues don't have them).  Plated versions are available in the AMT '66 Mercury, and '53 Corvette (the Corvette wheels do not have open slots between the spokes).

"Strippers".  They were also in the AMT '72 Monte Carlo annual and the "Xstacy" Chevy van.

15 minutes ago, Mark said:

Man, those are nice looking wheels...now have to conjure up a project that includes a set!

I had one started years ago.

IMG 0916

Got this far,,

IMG 1024

I guess I got in too much of a hurry and the paint all cracked on me right down to the primer, ruining it. I stripped it and re-primed it but never progressed any farther.

I should start repainting it. <_<

The chrome versions look really good but if you only put a black wash in them, they look more like customer Spoke wheels rather than allow wheels. To get the effect of the pics I attached you would have to paint them fully, then carefully remove the black from the tops of the spokes, quite the undertaking. Regardless of which you choose, I think they are great looking wheels.

That's what those are supposed to be?!

I used to have an X-tacy Van kit and have a couple of the '53 Vette kits and thought those were just some poorly designed wire wheel replicas!  May have to try and de-chrome them and see how they look under that chrome. is there a good way to get the backs see through like the Cougar versions in the first pic?

2 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

That's what those are supposed to be?!

I used to have an X-tacy Van kit and have a couple of the '53 Vette kits and thought those were just some poorly designed wire wheel replicas!  May have to try and de-chrome them and see how they look under that chrome. is there a good way to get the backs see through like the Cougar versions in the first pic?

It might work with some careful grinding on the back side.

5 minutes ago, Bucky said:

It might work with some careful grinding on the back side.

That's what I had been thinking, maybe I'll take a closer look at the early 80's issue I have that's easiest to get to tonight. Those might look decent on some of the Muscle Car Era stuff I have laying around!

19 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Every time I look at these wheels, I like 'em more than the last time I looked!

Same here, still don't think that look right on a '53 Vette or '71-'95 G-Van, but a C2 or C3 Vette or late 60's to early 70's Muscle Car, maybe even one of the revival Stutz Blackhawks from the Late 60's and into the 70's, without a doubt. I do prefer textured and machined aluminum (kinda the 2 tone aluminum) vs the machined and matte black finish though, then again, I find my self getting pretty annoyed with that look on modern rims now too:rolleyes:

Here's an ad that shows those off nicely!

11130051643_06dc96f157_b.jpg

So, any chance there might be a run on the '53 Vette kits now that more of us know what those "custom" wheels are supposed to look like and started to take a liking to them:lol:

I certainly respect your position on these wheels. If ya come across any, let me know. I never knew about these wheels back in the day. When Kelsey produced them, I was 14 years old, and thought Magnum 500 wheels were the best (still do, for the most part).

In my opinion, these Stripper wheels should have been offered as factory optional. They look as good as a lot of the factory stuff out today.