Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Faded Glory" - As-Found '48 Ford Coupe Hot Rod - New photos added

Bernard Kron

DSCF7404-web-1024.jpg

“Faded Glory” – As-found ’48 Ford Coupe Hot Rod

Textures, details and surface finishes that “scale” in miniature have always impressed me. Not that I’m not regularly blown away by spectacularly glossy paint jobs and super-detailing, but building a model that looks “real” and “natural” to the eye is a challenge that I take on from time to time, usually in combination with a project that’s otherwise fairly technically straightforward. As I approached the middle of summer which would see me away from my workbench for a month or more I decided to take on a simple project which I could complete in a few weeks where I would focus on this naturalistic approach to modeling.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Textures, details and surface finishes that “scale” in miniature have always impressed me. Not that I’m not regularly blown away by spectacularly glossy paint jobs and super-detailing, but building a model that looks “real” and “natural” to the eye is a challenge that I take on from time to time, usually in combination with a project that’s otherwise fairly technically straightforward. As I approached the middle of summer which would see me away from my workbench for a month or more I decided to take on a simple project which I could complete in a few weeks where I would focus on this naturalistic approach to modeling

Beautiful work, Bernard! Your finish work is one of the things I enjoy most about your models. They look natural and real! Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Thank you everyone. I'm still having huge problems posting anything of my own on the forums. Indeed, in the past three days I haven't even been able to connect to MCM. It just has timed out. This is my first attempt to post a comment. I'm glad you all like the result of my project, even if I've only been able to post a single picture and a paragraph so far. If I can post this comment, I'll attempt more photo posts. I've messaged Dave Ambrose a couple of times but have gotten no reply. Help!

The photos have to be manually and individually posted, but at least I got that done. If I can I'll post more of the project description in small chunks if the system will let me. I think I'm desperately in need of some sort of account reset or something...

It seems I can only manually type in new stuff. No copy and pasting of any kind... Grrrrrr.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you found your calling, B. These handful of weathered models you've turned out in recent times really do look right-on and this one is no exception. Its perfect! Great, textured patina and that Pontiac look not only well-used but it also looks like it's been in the car for a long time. Also, a really nice touch with the custom coupe pleated interior. 

This looks like one of those time-capsule cars you pull out of a long slumber and then struggle with whether to drive it as-is or restore it.

B) 

40 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

This looks like one of those time-capsule cars you pull out of a long slumber and then struggle with whether to drive it as-is or restore it.

B) 

Thanks Dennis. Much appreciated. "time-capsule cars" are a popular trend right now, as people realize that the traces of materials and techniques of earlier times are potentially a valuable a part of the experience of the history of what the car once was. In modeling these things the challenge is to achieve some impact without going over the top and getting corny about it. Realism in general, whether like this, or with a concourse shine, is what I'm chasing in my modeling.

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 1 month later...

As much as "barn-find" is used to death these days, the finish you have achieved here really does epitomise the type of deterioration and grime you would expect to find when waking an old girl from a long deep slumber.  Would love to see a daylight shot of this car with natural shadows.

Cheers

Alan

19 hours ago, alan barton said:

As much as "barn-find" is used to death these days, the finish you have achieved here really does epitomise the type of deterioration and grime you would expect to find when waking an old girl from a long deep slumber.  Would love to see a daylight shot of this car with natural shadows.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks to you all!

Alan, below are some pictures I took just now outdoors in natural daylight. At least in this case the chronically gray, overcast weather we have on the eastern coast of the Pacific Northwest on the USA served some practical purpose by ensuring a nice, even, diffuse light! (And it wasn't raining...)

DSCF7440-web-1024.jpg

DSCF7439-web-1024.jpg

DSCF7438-web-1024.jpg

DSCF7443-web-1024.jpg

That's what I'm talking about!  The daylight has nicely diffused the tones you achieved.  I can smell the dust from here!

I remember the Pacific NorthWest well!  In 1996 I attended the first day of the Portland Swap Meet where it rained almost constantly.  Walking for six hours in freezing wet overalls is not good for your health and I ended up with chronic pneumonia and off work for six weeks, not good when you are an exchange teacher at a small Alberta High School!

I remember one stall holder telling me quite earnestly that it rains for three hundred and sixty days of the year, and drips off the trees for the other five!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton