Model Cars Magazine Forum

Artesania Latina Cutty Sark

• 1 month later...

Ok so I'm back on this, first thing to sort is something that's been bugging me since I noticed it in the photos (didn't notice it on the actual thing for some reason) the cowls the anchor chains go into (sorry dont know what they're called) are not the same distances from the hold frame.

IMG-20200108-44988.jpg

So sorted that (disguising the old hole was a pain but I dont think it notices now)

IMG-2405.jpg

IMG-2404.jpg

Personally I think this is a great kit (I know some people say otherwise) I dont know anything about the other kit as I've not built them but I'm not too worried about accuracy so i not too bothered about whether it's the right hull lines or too wide, whatever.

They give you ample material to build her (up till now since my brother stripped the planking off and I stripped all the decking off) they give you nearly enough to build her twice, i only had to buy 10 strips of decking to finish that off and have not had to buy any of the side planking and still have loads left over the quality of the materials is top notch my only slight complaint is the instructions are quite confusing (that said they give you a full size high quality photo of the finished model so you can measure and check off that) 

8 hours ago, kpnuts said:

They give you ample material to build her (up till now since my brother stripped the planking off and I stripped all the decking off) they give you nearly enough to build her twice, i only had to buy 10 strips of decking to finish that off and have not had to buy any of the side planking and still have loads left over the quality of the materials is top notch my only slight complaint is the instructions are quite confusing (that said they give you a full size high quality photo of the finished model so you can measure and check off that) 

Maybe this is a double plank on frame kit?
I really don't know much about wooden ship kits, but I have heard that term so I figured I would just throw it in here. :D

More work on her, the forward cabins were very confusing.

The steps were a pain to fit and to be honest they couldn't be used anyway, look where they are you would have to get round the belaying pins and anyway they come out under the poop deck (incidentally that is exactly where the instructions tell you to put them.

IMG-20200310-203955-429.jpg
IMG-2443.jpg
IMG-2444.jpg
IMG-20200310-203955-427.jpg

IMG-2450.jpg
IMG-2449.jpg
IMG-2451.jpg

On 3/5/2020 at 1:36 AM, kpnuts said:

No done as per the instructions, normally double plank ships are for ship that are actually going into water.

Not when it pertains to display models such as the ship kits from Artesania Latina, etc. These models were not designed to be actually sailed in your bathtub or local pond. :D The first layer of basswod planking is to establish the hull lines. The second layer, usually narrower walnut or tanganyika strips are applied as a finishing layer; and, depending on the vessel, green colored rectangular wood pieces are applied as the second layer , from the waterline to keel, to simulate copper sheathing plates. My Mamoli 1/93 U.S.S. Constitution is a double plank on frame model.

Nice build of the Cutty Sark Ken. Have seen some of your plastic classic ship,builds as well as this wooden one. I believe that Artisania Latina have recently developed a plank on frame kit of the VASA as an instalment piece part build with the cooperation of the Vasa Museum.

Hi all let me start this update by saying (in the politest possible way)

F$%# b%$$/%% hell.

Let me explain.*

I do my modeling in the spare bedroom, I lay a piece of vinyl down on the floor immediately round my work bench and on top of the bench I put the container with all the brass pieces on the bed behind me after removing some parts needed for my next bit of work I set to adding some of the stanchions on the bow and heard this noise as if a plastic container of billions of bits had fallen on the floor, imagine my surprise when turning round to find that is exactly what had happened and of course as it was BEHIND me and not around the vinyl protection area it had fallen on a shag pile carpet, of course the lid came off. So after moving the bed (carpet was under it) shaking the carpet out I got this.

IMG-2520.jpg

And after several hours 

This

IMG-2519.jpg

So on with the update.

IMG-2527.jpg
IMG-2526.jpg
IMG-2523.jpg
IMG-2522.jpg
IMG-2524.jpg
IMG-2525.jpg

I'm really chuffed with how it's going (I should point out check ALL the stanchinons BEFORE gluing them in place as some of the holes are not clear and removing and drilling them after they are glued in place is no easy task.

Hi all was about to start on the fore mast, but then thought I better sort all the lower stuff before going in an upwards direction.

So first I thought about the problem of doing the portholes heres my answer to getting them all in the right place.

IMG-2539.jpg

IMG-2540.jpg

IMG-2541.jpg

IMG-2542.jpg

IMG-2543.jpg

Then to  do the rudder.

IMG-2545.jpg

IMG-2546.jpg
IMG-2547.jpg

IMG-2548.jpg

Hi all finished the first yard.

IMG-2639.jpg
IMG-2640.jpg

And before I get comments about the order I'm building this in I know it's not per instructions but hey they are pretty useless anyway.

I've added the first real sail.

IMG-2631.jpg
IMG-2638.jpg
IMG-2636.jpg
IMG-2637.jpg

I know it will get in the way of a lot of the rigging but I intend to tie it up out of the way temporarily. I know the lines from the base of the sail which go toward the stern will get in the way but I will leave them till last. 

Apart from the instructions i really like this kit (yes I know it's not an accurate depiction of the Cutty Sark)

It will still be a lovely model of a clipper ship anyway.

Hi all bit more done got the coppering room done (changed the top door as using the kit one and adding the embellishments made the door ridiculously thick) and the central ward room also more rigging on the sail (probably doesn't even notice) but it's there 

IMG-2667.jpg
IMG-2666.jpg
IMG-2668.jpg
IMG-2669.jpg

IMG-2664.jpg

You cant really tell but some swearing was involved in the practically invisible rigging you cant even see on the sails.

IMG-2671.jpg
IMG-2661.jpg
IMG-2663.jpg
IMG-2670.jpg