Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models 2020

Mr mopar

Gonna add this info from Atlantis' facebook post:

New Announcement. It's BIG, BOSS and BAD, The meanest 3 wheeler ever Seen! Atlantis Models will be releasing in the 1st Qtr. 2020 the Tom Daniel designed 1/8 Scale King Chopper! Complete with Tom's pet vulture. Updated Artwork by Kelly Daniel. (not final)

Molded in Metallic Purple, tons of chrome,clear parts, rubber engine tubing in 3 colors, updated decals and huge rubber tires!

In early 1984, a bunch of us went to dinner after the first NNL Western Nationals. One well known modeler (who can identify himself if he wants) presented a plan to the group. He had contacted Revell in Venice CA (before the Monogram merger) about having a private run of kits made. He was told that there was a requirement of three runs of 5000 bagged kits with instructions- no box or decals- for X amount of dollars. If each of us at the dinner invested $1000 we could have gotten the ball rolling- it might as well have been a million for me.  Less than a year later, the Advent line of kits were released. 

The relevance to this discussion was that we were told that Revell had ALL of their old tools up to that point. In the intervening years  with all of the mergers, moves, and changes in management, who knows what happened to all of the tools, but the information is interesting.

Edited by Vince Nemanic

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen any kind of a list of what tooling Atlantis purchased from Revell? Anyone know if any of the old ex-Renwal tools may be in Atlantis hands now? Specifically the old visible chassis tooling? I would love to see them look into a reissue of that one. 

1 hour ago, Toner283 said:

Has anyone seen any kind of a list of what tooling Atlantis purchased from Revell? Anyone know if any of the old ex-Renwal tools may be in Atlantis hands now? Specifically the old visible chassis tooling? I would love to see them look into a reissue of that one. 

I follow them on facebook and and follow the blog, and I do not think they have stated what molds they have. There are probably good business reasons for doing so.  For example,  If they said they had a certain mold, and then that mold was unserviceable, people who really wanted this hypothetical kit would be disappointed. 

• 6 months later...

With the Notable Exception of the AH-56 Cheyenne, Atlantis has nothing for me, so far this year. I really hope they come up with some more Automotive stuff. The 1/48 Mobilgas Tanker, is of course, Awesome, but the rest of the line up, a big "Meh!" for me, right now.

I want to support them, but the kits they have on offer currently, just do not open my wallet. Maybe better luck, next Quarter............

17 minutes ago, alexis said:

I really hope they come up with some more Automotive stuff.

They  " are getting the GM licensing first- 1 step at a time! thanks!", so maybe the 1/48 Chevy Stakebed?:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Casey

I've got 5 Atlantis kits already. But, Nothing they have now appeals to me.  I'll buy more from them. (I've got 2 of the AH-56 Helicopters on order)Just not this Quarter. (or the next 2 after that unless something I want is announced.)

On 5/19/2020 at 9:56 PM, SfanGoch said:

Who could pass up listening to Bert Kaempfert's "That Happy Feeling" in its entirety? Bill, remember when Sandy Becker used it as the theme song for his show on WNEW Channel 5?

I, for one, like the "beautiful music" movement.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...