Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
StevenGuthmiller

1968 Olds 442 Wheel Options

Recommended Posts

Hi guys.

I'm still trying to make a final decision on what factory stock wheels I will be using on my '68 Olds 442 project, but I need a little bit of information first.

I really don't care for the Oldsmobile rally wheels, so those are out.

My question is, were the Magnums still an option on the '68 Oldsmobiles?

I'm still trying to decide if I want to steal a set of Magnums from either the AMT '66 or the Lindberg '67 along with some white lettered tires, or if I want to go with the painted steelies and dog dish caps along with some red line tires.

But first I need to know if the Magnums were an option or not in '68.

I seem to see nearly as many '68s with Magnums as rallys, but I'm sure some f you will know for certain.

 

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not 100% certain.

But I think it was either rally's or Steel wheels with some version of hubcaps in 1968.

I'm not an Olds guru by a long shot...so don't take my opinion to the bank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at the original '68 showroom brochure. Not a Mag 500 to be seen anywhere on anything, though lots of the "Super Stock" wheels, even highlighted on the optional equipment page. 

Of course showroom literature cannot be considered a definitive reference. If factory brochures were to be believed, for example, Chevy would have never built any L78 375-hp Novas or Camaros. But of course we know they did--lots of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ScreenHunter_01+Apr.+16+21.08.jpg

It looks like the Magnum wheels were called Super Stock I wheels, and what I always called the "Rally" wheel is the Super Stock II and III.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Just looked at the original '68 showroom brochure. Not a Mag 500 to be seen anywhere on anything, though lots of the "Super Stock" wheels, even highlighted on the optional equipment page. 

Of course showroom literature cannot be considered a definitive reference. If factory brochures were to be believed, for example, Chevy would have never built any L78 375-hp Novas or Camaros. But of course we know they did--lots of them. 

"Super Stock 1" was the Magnums.  SS IIs were the Olds specific rallye wheels painted silver and the SSIIIs were the same wheel painted body color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve, I'd suggest the Magnums from the AMT '70 Chevelle SS kit. They have the proper depth and look great when painted properly. 

My '79 Nova actually had a set of SS Is on it when I got it. They had painted rims with chromed spoke section and stainless trim rings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

"Super Stock 1" was the Magnums.  SS IIs were the Olds specific rallye wheels painted silver and the SSIIIs were the same wheel painted body color.

In this brochure they were just called Super Stock but shown is what you describe as the IIs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I researched this myself a while back. The SSII was the only option for 1968. However, there was a production problem for the SSII wheels early in production and even though you ordered the SSII wheels the SSI's were substituted at the factory or dealership. That is why you see a number of 1968 442's while SSI wheels even though they were not an option. The SSI were listed as an option for 1966, 1967 and 1969.

If you like the SSI wheels, then go for it.

Edited by Mike Chernecki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of the insight guys!

I appreciate the help.

 

43 minutes ago, Mike Chernecki said:

I researched this myself a while back. The SSII was the only option for 1968. However, there was a production problem for the SSII wheels early in production and even though you ordered the SSII wheels the SSI's were substituted at the factory or dealership. That is why you see a number of 1968 442's while SSI wheels even though they were not an option. The SSI were listed as an option for 1966, 1967 and 1969.

If you like the SSI wheels, then go for it.

Thanks Mike!

This is exactly the sort of definitive wisdom I was looking for to help me make an informed decision.

 

Now the next question is, is there a kit out there that has a REALLY NICE set of GM steel wheels?

I know there are several kits like the AMT '62 Catalina that have steelies, but they're pretty cheesy.

Right now I'm leaning towards some vintage Johan steel wheels from a '67 Plymouth Fury kit that are exceptionally nice, but I recall running across some really nice chrome steelies in one of my many kits some time ago that I could strip, but of course, I can't remember which kit.

Any help with locating some nice steelies would be very helpful.

I think I'm going with the poverty caps and red lines.

 

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think I'm going with the poverty caps and red lines.

Steve

Please reconsider.  I know there's a small but ardent group of fetishists who think poverty caps somehow "make" a muscle car, but this is an Oldsmobile.  Let it have a little class to go with the fast.  I like Can-Con's solution for the wheels.  Redlines will still look sharp and be accurate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monty said:

Please reconsider.  I know there's a small but ardent group of fetishists who think poverty caps somehow "make" a muscle car, but this is an Oldsmobile.  Let it have a little class to go with the fast.  I like Can-Con's solution for the wheels.  Redlines will still look sharp and be accurate.  

Nothing is set in stone yet Monty.

I'm still not certain myself.

 

I have a set of dog dish caps and a couple of sets of Magnums.

I will just need to make a decision before I look for a set of tires.

If I go with the Magnums, I will use white lettered tires.

I'm not much of a fan of red lines anyway, but I feel like they look better with steel wheels.

 

 

 

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All those Magnum 500s and or Super Stock wheels were made by Kelsey Hays.... Probably including the chevy rally wheels...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Deuces said:

All those Magnum 500s and or Super Stock wheels were made by Kelsey Hays.... Probably including the chevy rally wheels...

Fun fact, Kelsey Hays bought a place called Motor Wheel which produced rims in Lansing Michigan, same as the Oldsmobiles.

Edited by suprafastcelica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 4 car manufacturers had the Magnums.... GM, Ford, Chrysler and AMC.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Deuces said:

All 4 car manufacturers had the Magnums.... GM, Ford, Chrysler and AMC.....

Of course!

Best looking factory wheel ever!! :D

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deuces said:

All 4 car manufacturers had the Magnums.... GM, Ford, Chrysler and AMC.....

I think the only musclecar maker who never used them was Pontiac. Oh wait, maybe Buick, although I think Motor Wheel made their Gran Sport wheels, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see.... Chevelle, Camaro and Nova SS models had them.... Dodge Charger R/T had those... The BOSS 429 Pony had them.. And the AMC AMX had them also.... I'm sure I missed a few... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a note on the  Magnums, I have them on my 1970 Chevelle and I also have a set of the Olds SSI wheels. Other than the Chevelle set being painted and the Olds set being chrome plated, they are identical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Just a note on the  Magnums, I have them on my 1970 Chevelle and I also have a set of the Olds SSI wheels. Other than the Chevelle set being painted and the Olds set being chrome plated, they are identical.

Likewise, I looked at the set in the Chevelle and the Lindberg '67 442 kits and they are both equally as nice.

The ones in the Olds are definitely much smaller than the Chevelle wheels.

My guess is that the Olds wheels are supposed to represent a 14" wheel, and the Chevelle 15"?

Although there appears to be much more difference than that.

If I use them, I will use the ones from the Chevelle.

 

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Likewise, I looked at the set in the Chevelle and the Lindberg '67 442 kits and they are both equally as nice.

The ones in the Olds are definitely much smaller than the Chevelle wheels.

My guess is that the Olds wheels are supposed to represent a 14" wheel, and the Chevelle 15"?

Although there appears to be much more difference than that.

If I use them, I will use the ones from the Chevelle.

If you're going for factory correct, I'm not sure if the ones from the Chevelle would be right.

As someone mentioned, Chevy's version of these wheels was painted, and I think they always used a trim ring.

Since the Olds version was chromed, I don't think they ever offered trim rings from the factory (?)

A friend of mine used to have a '69 W-30 that he bought from the original owner.  It had SSI wheels, and I clearly recall those didn't have trim rings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blackwall vote, RWL draws eye from wheel. Found SS1 with redlines, looks decent. Wheel still pops.Red ducts weird. Local LEO has one family owned silver 68 W30 Hurst. Just cool car, only SS2's, I've never found pic of SS1's on H.

image5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On this Hurst Olds, I think these are actually Hurst wheels:

31803570001_large.jpg?v=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

If you're going for factory correct, I'm not sure if the ones from the Chevelle would be right.

As someone mentioned, Chevy's version of these wheels was painted, and I think they always used a trim ring.

Since the Olds version was chromed, I don't think they ever offered trim rings from the factory (?)

A friend of mine used to have a '69 W-30 that he bought from the original owner.  It had SSI wheels, and I clearly recall those didn't have trim rings.

Yes, definitely trim rings from the factory.

My old '79 Nova had the Olds wheels. Chrome spokes, painted rim with stainless steel trim rings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...