Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holy Grail build.....the INVADER!

Dann Tier

15 hours ago, FredRPG said:

You would be my hero if you replicated the bad exterior grade plywood floor as seen from below. ?

B8997F5F-97E0-47D5-9A02-ED652B8238A2.jpeg

Sorry, bud, mine wont have that....i'm upgrading, but if you need to know how to replicate it for yours, i can still do that for you...if thats what you mean?

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Sorry, bud, mine wont have that....i'm upgrading, but if you need to know how to replicate it for yours, i can still do that for you...if thats what you mean?

Thanks for the kind offer, I don’t have one on my build list, I just think the exposed plywood on such an over engineered car is a funny juxtaposition. You’re probably right though, the way you are upgrading and redoing some of the awkwardness of the car, it would be out of place on your build.  (Just like the k-mart fog lights bolted to the engines for headlights were) thanks again for sharing your build process, I always look forward to the updates. 

4 hours ago, FredRPG said:

Thanks for the kind offer, I don’t have one on my build list, I just think the exposed plywood on such an over engineered car is a funny juxtaposition. You’re probably right though, the way you are upgrading and redoing some of the awkwardness of the car, it would be out of place on your build.  (Just like the k-mart fog lights bolted to the engines for headlights were) thanks again for sharing your build process, I always look forward to the updates. 

LOL, i thought it was cheap looking with the headlamps on the engines......could you imagine trying to see down the road at night with them vibrating all over the place!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I woulda had a bunch of this in paint by now, if it werent for the fact that the new bottle of CA glue i used on it wasnt expired, so i had to redo, and fill stuff again...then i found more details to add, lol.....after ANOTHER session of final sanding, i WILL have paint on the body, and most of the rest of the parts -by midnight. Heres what i've added; 

-Photo 1; I decided to attach the tie rod, since it would be easier, and safer to paint, since the plastic is a brittle, clear type. I will add further details to it after its been painted.

-Photo 2; The real car has a U-joint shaft between the two differentials, so i needed to carefully snip this one out, and add a better one. I aso decided to add the new spindles to the ends of the axle.

-Photo 3; ...fits Perf!! I also decided to upgrade the other two driveshafts -they werent good.

-Photo 4; I needed to filler the contact pins...

-Photo 5; its looking good!

-Photo 6; Still needed a bit of putty.

-Photo 7; I felt like i needed to add these two angled frame pieces, and after the putty is dry, i will sand, and paint it.

-Photo 8; After braking the front framework, i decided it too needed upper frame supports. I felt stupid for not thinking i would need them anyway, but i caught it in time.

-Photo 9; Square rod is my cleaver way at alligning, and tying down my re-routed exhaust pipes.

-Photo 10; The frame has had a VERY slight twist to it from the begining, and i have carefully, and subtly adjusted it along the way. This is one of three solid/sure contact/glue points that will totally finish eliminating the twist. The interior tub contact will be made first, then this rear one, and finally followed up by the fronts.

-Photo 11&12; Something i like to do, is to measure out, and drill little divits wherever i need to locate a part before the the glues dry, and so i dont have to keep moving the bit into proper placement.

DSCF9302.JPG

DSCF9303.JPG

DSCF9304.JPG

DSCF9308.JPG

DSCF9309.JPG

DSCF9307.JPG

DSCF9310.JPG

DSCF9311.JPG

DSCF9312.JPG

DSCF9313.JPG

DSCF9314.JPG

DSCF9315.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

I don't think that there is anything left on this kit that you haven't replaced, re-engineered, augmented or improved!

I wonder if there are any of the original kit designers left out there anywhere and I wonder what they might say if they could see the work you've done.

Thanks for posting these Dann, I do find that posts like yours inspire me to continue working on the projects I have going.

David G.

3 hours ago, David G. said:

I don't think that there is anything left on this kit that you haven't replaced, re-engineered, augmented or improved!

I wonder if there are any of the original kit designers left out there anywhere and I wonder what they might say if they could see the work you've done.

Thanks for posting these Dann, I do find that posts like yours inspire me to continue working on the projects I have going.

David G.

Well said David.

13 hours ago, David G. said:

David G.

Thanks, Bud!...its fun, and i'm glad to share how i like to do things.....looking forward to more of your work!!!.....the original engineers might not like me, lol

....every time i think i'm ready to paint, i find something else to add to this bugger, lol......it IS ready now though!!...dont know why, but the photos got all mixed up, but you can still see how i modified it.

DSCF9342.JPG

DSCF9343.JPG

DSCF9337.JPG

DSCF9338.JPG

DSCF9339.JPG

DSCF9340.JPG

DSCF9341.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Hey, everyone!, heres a bit more i got done yesterday;

-Photo 1; The rear half of the framework still didnt look right to me, so i decided it needed more structural strength, so i added these two side supports...now i'm happy.

-Photo 2; ...speaking of "lacking", the interior still was as well, so i added piping to the tops of the door cards, as well as behind the headrests. You can also see one of my modified driveshafts, which i cut one of the pins off in order to make instillation easier. You can also see one of the front spindle assemblies, with vented disc breaks. You may have noticed that the other one is glued on , but why not this one?, i already found the ride height i wanted, so to make things easier, i glued one down. I left the other one adjustable so that i can make sure all four tyres touch when finished....its the beauty of my Sliding Spindle -Waaaay easier to get the perfect ride height, and/or eliminate wonky tyre contact.

-Photo 3; I didnt like the spinners that came with these wheels in the Accurate Miniatures kit, so i decided to make my own knock-off nuts from super thin sheet styrene, and drilled out hex rod stock.

-Photo 4; This is the look i was going for....next stop; the paint booth!

DSCF9322.JPG

DSCF9324.JPG

DSCF9320.JPG

DSCF9334.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier