Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
cobraman

VW bug 1/24 or 1/25 fenderless ?

Recommended Posts

I know I could just slice them off but was wondering if anyone knew of a kit where the fenders are not molded with the body?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've built at least one of every VW Beetle kit ever made, and I don't know of any with separate fenders.  None have realistic inner quarter panels eithor so some scratch building is in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the old IMC kit have separate fenders?

I know everything else opened on it but can't remember if the fenders were moded in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No IMC are not separate. They almost where removed on my chopped beetle project.

20190922_131642.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys ! I will cut them off then. Unless there is a resin body. I will have to check that. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just look online for a bug with the fenders off. The inner well isn't all that much and shouldn't be too hard to replicate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is one thats nearly fenderless, the revell mad max looking one in yellow on the box, but the hood looks to be canvas or something. The one i have doesn't have a box so I'm not sure of the kit number or even what they called it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the ca. 1971 Revell/Advent Baja Chopper/Baja Bug/Champion Spark Bug/Killer Bee. The kit number for the Killer Bee is 85-2144.

image.png.e524b402bf68ff44f34ff92e59de90a9.png

image.png.a774f8d5c97f65021b5e31e483fd8363.png

image.png.8d5fe69e982c1764ba9ed43efa9ea443.png

image.png.168ccab8458cce9547507d45f53fb6ca.png

image.png.3ed541471b57454b3c78a1a6d679c7ba.png

image.png.54702485a224cfaf3d89190057e48c8b.png

There's a killer Bee kit available on ebay for $24.99 if you're interested.

Edited by SfanGoch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.9f819b91a579673fe906481368239ecb.png

image.png.37992b5a6de8069382e3c3e33c83a0b0.png

Here's a couple of photos I took many years ago just for this same reason.  

image.png.8204782072dffb352cecc5242e81c982.png

and here's something I was playing with a bunch o' years ago...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are planning a volksrod project, remember that you should move the front axle forwards by stretching the front og the floorpan. The inner fenders on a torsionbar front bug is very simple, the picture poster by Tom over here is of a SuperBeetle with macpherson struts up front. I would claim that the best bet is either the tamiya 66 or hasegawa 66 or 67 (same kits but with different body) or the gunze 56 oval. Old tool revell 1:25 could also work fine and that comes with hop up engine parts in the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.9f819b91a579673fe906481368239ecb.png

image.png.37992b5a6de8069382e3c3e33c83a0b0.png

Here's a couple of photos I took many years ago just for this same reason.  

image.png.8204782072dffb352cecc5242e81c982.png

and here's something I was playing with a bunch o' years ago...

Tom, that is the latter Super Beetle that had a strut front suspension.

I hated those things!!!LOL

375915.jpg

Edited by OldTrucker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Atmobil said:

If you are planning a volksrod project, remember that you should move the front axle forwards by stretching the front og the floorpan. The inner fenders on a torsionbar front bug is very simple, the picture poster by Tom over here is of a SuperBeetle with macpherson struts up front. I would claim that the best bet is either the tamiya 66 or hasegawa 66 or 67 (same kits but with different body) or the gunze 56 oval. Old tool revell 1:25 could also work fine and that comes with hop up engine parts in the box.

You might try turning the front torsion tubes around. The front suspension is pretty much one part and by mounting the front side of the tubes to the frame would move your front tires forward a good bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's pretty much what I was thinking of building. Maybe I can find some plastic spoons or something like that to make those inner panels ?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, espo said:

You might try turning the front torsion tubes around. The front suspension is pretty much one part and by mounting the front side of the tubes to the frame would move your front tires forward a good bit. 

Would that be acceptable to do in real life? Don't think I've ever seen or heard of that done 1:1, but then I don't get out much. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Would that be acceptable to do in real life? Don't think I've ever seen or heard of that done 1:1, but then I don't get out much. :unsure:

I think it can be doable in 1:1. The reason I say this is that at the local annual indoor car show there have been a few Bugs that looked like this was done and that's what made me think off it. I remember one in particular that was a father son project, it helps that they run a hot rod garage, and they had a fenderless, chopped top, flame painted black bug on display. I should have taken a picture, but it looked like they had done something on this order. But now we're talking plastic scale models, and the engineering does seem to change sometimes.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, espo said:

You might try turning the front torsion tubes around. The front suspension is pretty much one part and by mounting the front side of the tubes to the frame would move your front tires forward a good bit. 

You either have to space the axle out further or reverse the torsion arms towards the front which requires reworking the steering components.

Others have used early Ford front axles to lengthen the wheelbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you search frame head extension and beetle hot rod on a search engine, it should bring up a few links to 1/1 bug parts. There are 1/1 kits available for the torsion bar and traditional old ford axles to make it a pretty much bolt on job and should help with your build idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

You either have to space the axle out further or reverse the torsion arms towards the front which requires reworking the steering components.

Others have used early Ford front axles to lengthen the wheelbase.

I think I would agree. As I remember the "arms" were extended forward on the Black Bug that I saw at the car show. Thinking about it the steering linkage would be hard to connect to the steering box in a safe fashion. The best way may be to use an I beam type suspension  of some sort. on a 1:1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 7:56 PM, Dave Van said:

Just cut them off!!!!! old tool Revell

2vg3Abm4xJcANd.jpg

Dave, that would make any Vee Dub fan proud to call their own! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stitchdup said:

If you search frame head extension and beetle hot rod on a search engine, it should bring up a few links to 1/1 bug parts. There are 1/1 kits available for the torsion bar and traditional old ford axles to make it a pretty much bolt on job and should help with your build idea

The shop I worked at the boss's brother made them. Used one (10 inch) on my 64 Baja Beetle I had at the time.

Helped balance it out with the 6 cylinder Porsche engine hanging out the back!LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...