Model Cars Magazine Forum

27 minutes ago, afx said:

Yes, at least very close to it..

Related imageImage result for aurora ford gt40 model kit

The GT40 pictured above is the 1964 April test days version reference the headlamps and lack of a tail spoiler.  You can build that version using a K&B slot body on the Aurora  or IMC chassis.  K&B was an offshoot of Aurora at the time.

GT40Proto.jpg.92872528457a56c9532fd3b91f210741.jpgFord_GT40_1964_trials_003sm.jpg.cbe442abb12a117927f3a74f818f302f.jpgFord_GT40_1964_trials_004bw.jpg.12b08bd2f3e21378614306302aa565af.jpg

7 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Always full of sarcasm aren't you. It's not a crime to ask a simple question.  Isn't that the point of a forum? Ask questions? You do this every time someone asks something. Thanks to those that offered help. I wasn't aware side many kits had been done. Any idea which kits are currently available?

Yeah, I've kinda got to agree it gets a little annoying every time a question is asked like this that seems to come up. Sure, I have my fair share of kit knowledge also, but I also try to explain it and the differences between kits instead of just showing I can use a search bar or Google or spend hours of my life knowing every little nuance of a kit because I don't. I'm familiar with kits I have and that is quite a large collection and through some research what kits those kits are based from or share roots with but I don't know everything about every kit ever made like some here seem to think they do. 

Anyway back to the topic and the other part of your comment and question, I would say if any are currently available, it would be the Fujimi kits. Even if any aren't in the current release lineup, as I had mentioned earlier those would still be the easiest ones to find in the either in the resale market or maybe in those out of the way hobby shops that have older stock on the shelves. 

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks. So the thing did actually run as-kitted by Aurora? 

Everyone has a different opinion but mine is that the Aurora nose incorporated some but not all the changes made by Shelby et al.  You'll want to take a look at the canard (?) spoilers at the front corners and the brake ducting under the nose inlet.  You may need to look at the radiator outlet on the hood but I thought the shape was pretty close.  The wheels are a really bad representation of wire wheels which, after the engines were "breathed on" by Shelby American, tended to fail due to the increased horsepower and they were heavy.  Thus the change to Halibrands before the racing season began.  The engine, such as it is, is distinctly undersized.  Source another 289 or button the body down.  I've got some photos I can post to illustrate the points on the 1 to 1.  Like I said its a basis for a GT40 of a limited time frame and after that the changes were numerous and noticeable.

The Fujimi kits (and Revell reboxes) are the best overall for the Mk2 and the Mk1's as they appeared in 1966 and later.  All of them have the common nose design with minor variations in ducts and radiator outlets.  Sadly, none of them have complete driveline detail, but those can be had in the aftermarket (HRM's engine kit is excellent).  The kits of the Mk1's from before 1966 can suffer from inaccuracies in certain areas and/or lacking in detail.  None have correctly caprtured the cars as they appeared at Daytona in 1965 for example.  The IMC (and later reboxing by Union) kits do have complete driveline and suspension detail but the fit can take some work to get right.

One area to explore is the slot car and resin market.  Fortunately the GT40 appeared at the height of the 24th scale slot car craze, so there were alot of bodies available.  The early roadsters - GT108, GT111, and the X1- were available as slot bodies (by Monogram and Lancer respectively). Some later resin kits were based on those slot bodies.  As with the early kits, these can also suffer from inaccuracies in overall shape so work from period photos of the cars you want to recreate.  Bonus is that most of the slot bodies are 24th scale and will drop on the Fujimi chassis.

Blue body (L) unknown mfg, white body (R) KB/Aurora 25th scale

2019112795142025.jpg.4934d5a3a19a7e6bc59ea503ce7e8254.jpg

GT40 roadster (GT108/GT111) - Monogram (L), GT40 X-1 roadster - Lancer (R)

2019112795152033.jpg.dda611b56c3fb819b5d0ed09c56c479a.jpg

Edited by djflyer

34 minutes ago, djflyer said:

Blue body (L) unknown mfg, white body (R) KB/Aurora 25th scale

2019112795142025.jpg.4934d5a3a19a7e6bc59ea503ce7e8254.jpg

The blue body is a COX slot body and is fairly accurate.  Here is the nose and tail of a COX mounted to a Fujimi chassis and interior because the COX only had a slot racing chassis.

DSCN0095.JPG.7ab607d7ab2a6fa9275d40e33bf88561.JPG

1 hour ago, mad mike said:

How about the one kit to rule them all? Well, at least in size. Altaya of France will release the 69 Gulf GT40 in 1/8 soon. I just hope the quality will be better than shown in the prototype pics.

https://www.altaya.fr/modelisme-maquette/ford-gt

They also show 1/43 and 1/24 versions.  Hopefully the 1/8 version is not just a blown up 1/24 one but has the level of detail on par with Exoto.  I have a lot of 1/43 GT40's but not a lot of 1/24 ones in diecast.  With the popularity of  Ford vs. Ferrari your would think someone would take the WIX car molds and do the complete 66 Lemans lineup.

IMG_6412.JPG

On 11/29/2019 at 8:21 PM, mad mike said:

How about the one kit to rule them all? Well, at least in size. Altaya of France will release the 69 Gulf GT40 in 1/8 soon. I just hope the quality will be better than shown in the prototype pics.

https://www.altaya.fr/modelisme-maquette/ford-gt

I really cannot understand how Altaya/Hachette gets the bodies of their 1/43 and 1/24 models correct (at least to my eye) - and totally misses the roofline and rear of the 1/8 - how about that? What's up with them???