Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

On 3/15/2022 at 10:40 PM, Scott8950 said:

Wow! That's very nice and realistic. 

Thanks Scott !

On 3/15/2022 at 10:55 PM, gasser59 said:

Eeeegadds Francis, what a beauty! Completely insane the quality of your assembled work.

Thanks Brad !

On 3/16/2022 at 9:19 AM, Bainford said:

Stellar!! Very impressive to see this coming together. And as you say, I bet it really pops when viewed in person. 

Thanks Trevor !

On 3/16/2022 at 9:23 AM, crazyjim said:

After looking at the engine compartment, I think you need to add more detail Francis.  Just kidding.  It looks fantastic!

Thanks Jim !

On 3/16/2022 at 11:46 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Looking at the engine compartment photos it is virtually impossible to tell this is not a full size vehicle. Awesome job Francis!

Thanks Ian !

On 3/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

Looking even better the closer it gets to the finishing line.  

Thanks Andy !

On 3/17/2022 at 6:33 AM, afx said:

Engine is very impressive.

Thanks JC !

On 3/17/2022 at 9:24 AM, bytownshaker said:

Francis this truck is the most amazing piece of work I've ever seen, as it is not store bought parts everything is made by hand in numerous materials, It truly is piece of art.

I hope I get to see it at one of the shows in Gatineau Ottawa area.

Edgar

Thanks Edgar !

Sorry for the long delay in answering you, my work has not allowed me to connect to the forum since Wednesday.  I want to thank you all for your kind words and encouragement, you are helping in your own way to confirm my commitment to finish this project.

I have probably mentioned it before but you are the fuel for my own tank, the motivation is always there but your comments can only keep it at its peak!

Francis

On 3/20/2022 at 3:35 PM, Butter 1 said:

Your choices of color really allow the beholder an opportunity to see most of the perfect models you built to create one amazing engine compartment. hope to have the honor of seeing it in person some day. Absolutely incredible!

Thanks Ron!   I agree, some colors, especially the lighter ones, are better choices to bring out the details and this lime green is also a "racing" color that is appropriate for this subject.  A lot of these trucks were originally green and I think the shade I chose suits it pretty well without distorting it too much...

Francis

On 3/20/2022 at 5:47 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

The more I think about it, the more I believe we should buy airplane tickets for the last GSL show in 2023! That truck would cause a commotion!

Bravo!

CT 

Don't go too fast my friend, I have to finish it before I think of exposing it...

As for the commotion, considering the quality and diversity of the offer I can see on the site, I think our neighbors will be rather well served!

Thank you by the way Claude, coming from an artist like you, it's all the more surprising, you yourself have caused your share of commotion in the last year! 😉

Francis

Congratulations Francis, she's a beauty.   All of your hard work has certainly paid off and you've every right to be proud of what you created.   This is a truly exceptional model and showcases your talents as few others might or could.  The documentation you did along the way has been a help to all of us modelers and I know I learned some things too.       Cheers, Tim

4 hours ago, Codi said:

Congratulations Francis, she's a beauty.   All of your hard work has certainly paid off and you've every right to be proud of what you created.   This is a truly exceptional model and showcases your talents as few others might or could.  The documentation you did along the way has been a help to all of us modelers and I know I learned some things too.       Cheers, Tim

Tim, I also think you should be checking into flights to Salt Lake for your project.  My passport is ready and if you and Francis were going to be there I will certainly show up as well to see both of these models.

10 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Tim, I also think you should be checking into flights to Salt Lake for your project.  My passport is ready and if you and Francis were going to be there I will certainly show up as well to see both of these models.

If all you talented builders show up I bet it will bring a record turn out. I wouldn't miss it!!!!

On 3/21/2022 at 11:03 PM, ea0863 said:

No wonder Francis' work is so equisitely intricate. A little investigation has revealed he is in fact a bit under three inches tall and has been working at 1:1 scale this whole time! Wonderful job nevertheless Sir. 😁

Thanks Sir!  Now imagine the size of my passport, the customs officer will need a magnifying glass... 😁

On 3/22/2022 at 2:13 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Then I humbly suggest you get on that, This is an important model

Thanks Ian!  I'm going to be a bit of a killjoy but I'm pretty worried these days, our good old earth isn't doing well and it puts a lot of things in context...  however, I'm quite happy to know that my humble work can put a smile on anyone's face!

On 3/22/2022 at 5:39 AM, Codi said:

Thanks Tim,  You yourself have inspired me a lot and I am still learning from your amazing skills, this is in my opinion one of the good reasons why this forum is so relevant, everyone finds something to learn no matter what their skill level.  Your kind words are very much appreciated sir, your knowledge and persistence motivate me a lot!

Hello everyone,

Sorry guys, I was supposed to post these pictures yesterday before I left for the night shift but I ran out of time.  Before I moved on to assembling the bed I thought it was time to install the Lenco shifter inside the cabin, I knew I was in for a good challenge, using eyelash clamps to get all the components in place was something that had been bothering me since the first day I decided to make the cabin with the glued down floor in place.  Let's just say that to a certain extent, I felt a bit like I was putting together a sailboat in a bottle...  Before assembling the shifter, I decided to redo the levers because my first design was not correct and I was able to find a better reference to make them more realistic even if they won't be very visible once installed.  I also installed the parachute release system, I included a picture of what I had taken as a model, the support will probably not be visible with the seats in place, to follow...  The interior assembly is by far my least favorite part, I saved it for the end, usually we do the opposite and save the best for the end but in this context, I don't see how I could have done otherwise...

I'm now going to focus on the back of the truck, I'll get back to you later with some pictures of my progress.

See you later, Francis

New shifter levers in progress.684_Lenco_Lever_Mod_Prog_1.jpg.6e3ad038b441a5c370aad3b8d356bdae.jpg

Almost finished...685_Lenco_Lever_Mod_Prog_2.jpg.0ab1ce3cff319ba3eeb3d53509700e23.jpg

This shape is closer to the real ones.686_Lenco_Lever_Mod_Final.jpg.d01908bdd0956853382556265442a383.jpg

View from the driver side.1125033069_691_ShifterChute_Detail_1.jpg.82aaff7cc1324d8893fb6fd25d53b9ae.jpg

View from the passenger side.2055313884_692_ShifterChute_Detail_2.jpg.46447d4a2ed9630e9d23cae28edc57b8.jpg

The model I was inspired by.

Parachute_Lever_Low.jpg.2ececb94bed5fc60feafa866672953cc.jpg

On 3/24/2022 at 5:15 PM, Ian McLaren said:

Great job on the shifter Francis!

Thanks Ian, I know I can do better so that leaves me room for improvement for my next build... 😁

Francis

18 hours ago, Bainford said:

Yes, agreed! Looks fantastic. 

Thanks Trevor,  I'm not totally satisfied but I'll let the truck live with its little flaws without constantly redoing what I don't like.  Hopefully some of the details inside the cab will be barely visible at the very end.

I hope that overall the truck will have a lot to offer to those who will take the time to look at it as a model built from scratch... 😉

Francis

Honestly Francis, if I didn’t know what color you had chosen to paint your truck, I wouldn’t be able to tell which pictures were if your model, and which was the 1/1.  I’ve said it many times before, your precision machining and attention to detail is truly awe inspiring!

TCOTT

11 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Honestly Francis, if I didn’t know what color you had chosen to paint your truck, I wouldn’t be able to tell which pictures were if your model, and which was the 1/1.  I’ve said it many times before, your precision machining and attention to detail is truly awe inspiring!

TCOTT

Thanks Tim!

I've lost count of the number of times I've changed my mind about the color choice for the truck during the build, but I eventually went back to my first choice to stay true to the spark that led to this project.  It would be hard to say that the color is not showy but it has the advantage of bringing out the details but also the flaws...

I can't believe that I started this pickup almost 4 years ago, I think in all modesty that my skills have improved since the beginning of this project.  The motivation generated by the members and their projects on this forum only adds to the desire and ideas that are germinating in the back of my head... 😉

Francis

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Ever update is such a treat. More amazing details. An awe inspiring build.

Thanks Bob!

I moved to the back of the truck and hope to bring you more details in the coming weeks.  I hope you'll like what follows as well, my motivation is still present despite the number of hours that have been accumulating since the beginning of the project.

At least the pile of parts I made is starting to produce something concrete... 😁

Francis

WOW! beyond amazing. the colors really are perfect. so impressed . would like to see it in sitting on the table in front of me someday.yeah i am sying the same thing right now let me finish this so a can move on. thanks for the great photos of your incredible work.charlie

On 3/28/2022 at 7:02 PM, charlie libby said:

WOW! beyond amazing. the colors really are perfect. so impressed . would like to see it in sitting on the table in front of me someday.yeah i am sying the same thing right now let me finish this so a can move on. thanks for the great photos of your incredible work.charlie

Thanks for your superlatives Charlie!

I have to say that I am very happy with the color and the general comments about it.  It's always hard to choose the best color for a particular subject (at least for me...), sometimes you have to compromise to get the best of both worlds.  A light color brings out the details better than a dark color, and since I made a lot of parts, I wanted them to be as visible as possible.

The assembly of the back part of the truck has started and I hope to show you some pictures soon, it looks promising... 😁