Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

This is coming together beautifully, Francis. I really love the hood hinges! Everything, however, is just right on. Excellent work, my friend!

Thanks partner!  I always appreciate your support and comments because I know how much you love the details, you are an example to others!

I have more little details in the works, so I'll get back to you soon! 😊

14 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks partner!  I always appreciate your support and comments because I know how much you love the details, you are an example to others!

I have more little details in the works, so I'll get back to you soon! 😊

You'll always have my support! We are truly like-minded, when it comes to those little details. I'm looking forward to what you have in store, next!

• Like 1

Very exciting to see it coming together Francis!  That color really pops!  Really does a nice job of showcasing all over your beautiful craftsmanship!  I can’t imagine that you still have more parts to make.  You have so many individual pieces of jewelry.  The time and craftsmanship that you have put into each tiny piece is astounding!  The final result will need to highlight each little piece.  

TCOTT

As I review your work on this thread, some 59 pages and counting, my mind wonders, where and how you keep all of the tiny pieces that you have made until you are ready for them?  Like so many tiny precious stones, each a masterpiece in its own right, waiting to take its place in the final symphony.  Are they each wrapped, labeled, and carefully preserved, or are they all in a box together to be dumped out and sorted?  After all this time, your skill level has undoubtedly improved.  Do you ever find yourself wanting to go back and remake parts that you have already checked off, because you have discovered ways of doing things that you previously assumed were beyond your skill level?  Is anything beyond your skill level?

Just my mind wondering on a snowy Saturday morning.

TCOTT

On 2/25/2022 at 2:43 PM, Butter 1 said:

The paint inside the engine bay is awesome. The radiator fits like a glove and looks perfect. The engine appears to be second to none! What will you do with your spare time when this is done?

Thanks Ron, I really appreciate your comments!

My free time is already well spent maintaining the property but rest assured I will start a new project when the truck is finished.  I'm not sure yet where this one will go, I often get carried away and my desire to always do better results in projects that drag on and on, not easy to find the balance when you're an eternal dissatisfied... 🙄

Francis

7 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

As I review your work on this thread, some 59 pages and counting, my mind wonders, where and how you keep all of the tiny pieces that you have made until you are ready for them?  Like so many tiny precious stones, each a masterpiece in its own right, waiting to take its place in the final symphony.  Are they each wrapped, labeled, and carefully preserved, or are they all in a box together to be dumped out and sorted?  After all this time, your skill level has undoubtedly improved.  Do you ever find yourself wanting to go back and remake parts that you have already checked off, because you have discovered ways of doing things that you previously assumed were beyond your skill level?  Is anything beyond your skill level?

Just my mind wondering on a snowy Saturday morning.

TCOTT

Thank Tim,  I am always a little surprised but happy to know that my work still has this kind of effect on you, I can say the same about what I see of your talent with brass! 😉

When you start and invest yourself in this kind of project, it's hard to think of everything that needs to be done and the details get added along the way.  When you start, it's hard to refrain from creating all the pieces of the puzzle and make a product that holds up as they say.  I think that people (rightly) are more critical for this kind of project and we run on this kind of challenge (I speak for myself here...). 

As for my filing system, each part and its components are stored in small zip lock bags (I have dozens of them) until they are needed for final assembly.

It is sometimes difficult not to have to redo parts or to want to improve them because you gain experience during the construction and sometimes you think that you can do better.   Unless it is unavoidable due to a major change (structural or measurement error), I try not to redo parts knowing I have the tools and ideas to do better next time.  It allows me to see the evolution (positive I hope...) of my models over time and to see where I am coming from in my favorite hobby.

The bar is high today, modelers have a renewed passion for this hobby and it shows on everything you can appreciate on this forum! 😊

I have some of the small "missing parts" made and I will update the thread soon!

Francis

On 2/23/2022 at 6:20 PM, Codi said:

Hello Francis,  you're making great progress sir.  It's nice to see the engine in the car and shows how striking it is from any angle.  You've got to be so excited at this point.   Cheers to you!   Tim

Thanks Tim, I still have a ways to go but putting some color on the styrene gives me a second wind and hope.  Yes, it's good to put a smile on your face and hope for the best for the future...  It's coming along piece by piece! 😊

Hello everyone,

I don't usually update on Saturdays but I made more progress than usual, I was on vacation this week and took the opportunity to spend more free time on the truck while the winter stretches out and before the nice weather arrives!

I've started making the components to trim the engine bay although I'm sure the Hemi engine will have the the biggest visual impact.

Enough blah blah blah, here are some of the results of my work, I've done more, I'll do another update soon.

Francis

Super coil in progress made from Evergreen styrene square rod.647_Super_Coil_Prog_1.JPG.79b0ffc3948928553be49583bed6d197.JPG

On the rotary table set at 90 degrees.648_Super_Coil_Prog_2.JPG.6eb7638f3d12f752bb130ddf4f28c0e1.JPG

Drilling holes for the bracket.649_Super_Coil_Prog_3.JPG.927d791733478b04bce567653d1433ab.JPG

More holes for the cover bolts and coil wire of course...650_Super_Coil_Prog_4.JPG.81c1f8071d90a3873a9bda0a4e582e66.JPG

Bracket hand made with 0.005" brass651_Super_Coil_Prog_5.JPG.e64f63cd7394e2eb55a4dba98fc69855.JPG

Different view, it hold in place with 2 aluminum pins.652_Super_Coil_Prog_6.JPG.5c3da6dff02af66c88b32d4470e172ec.JPG

I put some color on it and fine tuned the bracket shape.653_Super_Coil_Final_1.JPG.34c28af5a0a4d8785a647d9cb727a16b.JPG

Different view, the wires are for picture taking only654_Super_Coil_Final_2.JPG.6ca0c4d35259bced0f9b67c53b7742a3.JPG

Coolant overflow tank in progress made from styrene.655_Coolant_Tank_Prog_1.JPG.7dee4d5a910a718ca20b0d4a3c22a08f.JPG

At a more advanced stage, after some filing and sanding.656_Coolant_Tank_Prog_2.JPG.de671570e4b063d16865fc7def473379.JPG

Different angle.657_Coolant_Tank_Prog_3.JPG.3f167cf97f12cc99f40f0f67b464c2e5.JPG

Final part.657b_Coolant_Tank_Final.jpg.00c0a65e4455e16873dd40ddab116371.jpg

13 hours ago, Bainford said:

Lovely stuff, Francis. These beautifully detailed components are even more impressive as the assembly comes together. I’m enjoying the ride. 

Thank you Trevor, I appreciate your support sir!  I have more new photos in the bank and will post them soon, it's rare that I have a lot of bench time, it feels good and it makes the project progress!  It will start to look like something more concrete in the next few days if everything goes well... 😁

Hello everyone,

As promised I'm posting the pictures of the little detail pieces made last week, I was supposed to do it yesterday but something came up so I'm doing it tonight.

I hope to post some pictures of the engine compartment in the next few days showing all these little elements installed in their respective places, it seems that the under hood will be well filled in.... 😁

I am slowly but surely coming to the end of the fabrication of the parts, the final assembly is on the menu for the next step.

Francis

MSD box in the rotary table.580_MSD_Box_Prog_1.JPG.57cc742e3f594ed770ae950985640119.JPG

Final part separated from the aluminum rod.581_MSD_Box_Prog_2.JPG.7cc583b37056d1a7a0fe8f7d97b43283.JPG

Final part anodized in red.582_MSD_Box_Anodized.JPG.10979fc3ed3f931720996a834f27748e.JPG

Front brake line locking solenoid.562_Brake_Line_Lock_Prog_1.JPG.76b5649431f5fc2bbac92030e98213c9.JPG

Final part with wiring.564_Brake_Line_Lock_Fin_1.JPG.e9813ea43ba35b9dcdaa54492699d70e.JPG

View from another angle.565_Brake_Line_Lock_Fin_2.JPG.f4e2d28b459366b3cdbcffb928045645.JPG

Starter relay in the rotary table.566_Starter_Relay_Prog_1.JPG.b0fbdd565fce41362a2192733dcae689.JPG

At a more advanced stage, the relay and the support are made of brass.567_Starter_Relay_Prog_2.JPG.805fb81b7803e2ed644cc005c64172dc.JPG

I added an aluminum terminal.568_Starter_Relay_Prog_3.JPG.edc93766156b20251d3ebac927845b8e.JPG

Relay completed next to the big dime.569_Starter_Relay_Prog_4.JPG.08c891a6503ae8d42cd9e27b9710ad18.JPG

563_Brake_Line_Lock_Prog_2.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, landman said:

Incroyable!

Merci mon ami !

Francis

6 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Goodness shown here!  I love this stuff!

Thanks Mike, I am always honored to have your support!

Francis

For those who are interested, all these little things are already put to work, the assembly and the details of the engine compartment are in progress, I hope to propose you some pictures next week.  I have a lot of wires and pipes to connect to all these things...  😁

Now, back to work, the one who pays for all these expensive tools... 😉

Francis

On 3/1/2022 at 10:35 PM, Ian McLaren said:

You just continue to amaze and raise the bar my friend. No words do justice.

Thanks Ian, It is not easy (at least for me) to do justice to the product in photos, I am really more comfortable on the milling machine than with my camera, each has its strengths and weaknesses!

Francis

Hello,

Just a little preview of what's to come, the cabin is now installed for good on the frame, I'll post pictures of the engine compartment when I'll be more advanced in the details, there's a lot to do... and I realized that I have other small parts to do to integrate on the wheel apron and the firewall... 🙄

Stay tuned,

Francis

688_Cab_Installed.jpg.a92491371e4e9115ddc3d7cf97b5d8d5.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Ian, It is not easy (at least for me) to do justice to the product in photos, I am really more comfortable on the milling machine than with my camera, each has its strengths and weaknesses!

Francis

I know exactly what you mean about pictures, It drives me crazy when I look at close up photos of my parts.  What I think are great parts show flaws ( I check my work with photos because my eyes don't tell the whole story) and OK parts can have areas that look like the surface of the moon but still look good to the naked eye and on the model.  If you can get a part, in any scale, that looks great in a extreme closeup you are at the top of your game. In the scale you have chosen, it's an almost impossible task that you and Tim seem to have a handle on.

19 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

I know exactly what you mean about pictures, It drives me crazy when I look at close up photos of my parts.  What I think are great parts show flaws ( I check my work with photos because my eyes don't tell the whole story) and OK parts can have areas that look like the surface of the moon but still look good to the naked eye and on the model.  If you can get a part, in any scale, that looks great in a extreme closeup you are at the top of your game. In the scale you have chosen, it's an almost impossible task that you and Tim seem to have a handle on.

Thanks for your comments Ian, I think you have really described well the paradox of taking pictures where we want to show the details as close as possible without showing all the little flaws in them.  The smart phones that just about everyone has are becoming the magnification tool of choice at exhibitions but we have to remember that these toys are supposed to be appreciated by the naked eye.   As for the finishing of the pieces, it is always possible to do better but at some point, we have to accept our limits and move forward, otherwise, we don't see the end of it.

In any case, the experience acquired on the past work becomes a good reference for the future and it keeps one well motivated...😊

Thanks again for your support, Francis

Smiling now Francis!

Guys, let us realize, Francis is fabricating utterly exact parts in different materials.  Metals, aluminum and brass,  and styrene-types of materials.  Sensational what is going on here!  Such a great incentive.  We all know that we can do better.

We all know as well, we do not have to do this.  This is a very special style of modeling in our world, very few know about this.

I cannot do this, we all build differently.  The love and utter dedication is truly a sight to behold, and a very special incentive for me.

Thank you for the opportunity to view amazing modeling!

Mike..