Model Cars Magazine Forum

KENWORTH X 2 K123 & K100 Aerodyne

Finally got round to starting these two, I bought them both in the summer but other jobs had to be finished first. Although the Revell Aerodyne is the much later kit I found that there was probably more flashing and cleaning up to do than the AMT kit, in fact if it wasn't for the numbers on the sprue I would not have known which part was what, I find it quite therapeutic and relaxing cleaning up the parts ( before the stress of trying to match up all the parts) The AMT kit has not posed any major problems so far apart from there does not seem to be a drawing of the left hand side of the engine at all, I managed to glue the inline fuel filters too high up the block partly because the part was chamfered at the top back and looked like it should fit under the top of the engine block, too late to move it now without destroying the rest of the engine, I can live with it, you won't be able to see once the cabs on any way. There are a few little things with the revell  kit like there does not seem to be a alternator and I can not work out how to fit the radiator without splitting the front of the chassis and lifting out the front crossmember ( all ready glued) all part of the fun and nothing that cannot be sorted, it is interesting building the two together, but if you think it will be better to post the builds separately let me know.

SAM_4057.JPG

SAM_4062.JPG

SAM_4064.JPG

SAM_4066.JPG

SAM_4068.JPG

Finally got started again and got round to taking some photo's of progress so far, the work on the chassis was done at the end of last year before I ran out of glue, all of the air line detail was glued with super glue but I was short of a couple of bits that I needed plastic weld for, so I was stuck ( or not as it turned out) I couldn't make much progress with the engine's either because the K100 engine kit didn't seem to have a starter motor or a alternator so I have since made the two up from plastic, I couldn't do much with the  K123 engine either as I wanted to make a oil filter on the block and do away with the lubrifiner and the top oil cooler.

Anyway we are now back in business, so here are a few photo's of the two so far, the last three are of the K123

And a late happy new year to everyone and have a great year modelling.

Also just wanted to say that I hope nobody get's the hump if I don't post comments on their builds, there is just so many going on at the moment its mind blowing, so good luck to everybody with their project's.

SAM_4096.JPG

SAM_4099.JPG

SAM_4104.JPG

SAM_4103.JPG

SAM_4107.JPG

SAM_4106.JPG

SAM_4106.JPG

Thanks for the comments guys, not sure if it's all 100% correct, I checked out loads of video's of the two engine's as well as the diagrams posted on this forum, nearly every engine was different from the next so hopefully the two are somewhere close, the thing is you won't be able see hardly any of it once the cabs are on, guess I just like fiddling around with bits of wire, there's probably a cure ? 

SAM_4114.thumb.JPG.7426bddf260ae3eebc95fa8a36b4359a.JPGSAM_4114.thumb.JPG.7426bddf260ae3eebc95fa8a36b4359a.JPGA small update of progress mainly on the K123, I decided to fix the fuel tanks to the chassis this time round as they will be painted the same colour as the chassis so this enabled me to finish most of the plumbing, usually it is a bit of a catch 22 situation working out where to finish adding parts when they need to be different colours. I also changed the front axle to a metal one from KFS as the one in the kit had a broken tie rod, I should have got one for the K100 at the same time I think, as it is such a good moulding and much stronger than the plastic one, this weekend I will start work on the K100 chassis to bring it up to the same level but I will not be able to fix the fuel tanks as they will be aluminium on this one.SAM_4116.thumb.JPG.0809b2d68be0c2f806209a3ffe4d7d5e.JPG

SAM_4113.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, finally got enough done to make it worth while posting an update with a few photo's of progress so far, most of the work has been with the k100 since the last photo's, each weekend I think I might get some paint on it but then find there are still bits to do, its a bit of a catch 22 with painting I find, as some bits like the shock's need to be painted before fixing but then that mean's you can't do a full chassis spray after, and there is all ways the chance you are going to spoil the paint finish trying to connect up air lines, fuel tanks etc, its all ways difficult to know how far to go before painting. I will probably start work on the k123/5 now and bring it up to the same stage as the k100 so that I can do a lot of the painting at the same time, anyway here are a few photo's of progress on the k100 

SAM_4138.JPG

SAM_4140.JPG

SAM_4141.JPG

SAM_4143.JPG

SAM_4142.JPG

Just a quick update, i decided to do a little more work on the K100 before re-starting on the K123/5 , the cab alterations were the biggest job left to do on the K100 so i thought i would get that out of the way first, rest should be plain sailing! ( bound to regret saying that later)

There is still some work to do on the cab, air vents and front panel etc plus the main cut to clean up but nothing major!

SAM_4145.JPG

SAM_4146.JPG

SAM_4148.JPG

SAM_4149.JPG

• 4 months later...

Hi folks, its been a while, still can't get on to the site like before, it allways comes up (  sorry couldn't find what you are looking for) but it lets me click on to forums, so I get here in the end. Anyway I have been busy working on the two Kenworth's, mainly the k123 because I realised I was going to run out of liquid glue again I will have no chance of getting any for a while now with the covid travel problems, I don't know where to get it in France and it can't be posted from Britain, mus'nt grumble though, its a minor problem when you consider what everybody is going through.

Anyway here are a few photo's of some of the components for the k123 , all of them are scratch built apart from the fifth wheel unit, and a couple of pick's of the k123 with some of them test fitted, its a lot further on now but I don't have any photo's at the moment, maybe after the weekend,

Hope every body is well and happy stress free modeling.

SAM_4159.JPG

SAM_4160.JPG

SAM_4161.JPG

SAM_4162.JPG

SAM_4165.JPG

Thanks for the kind comments Jim & Dan , i have tried to post comments on other people's builds but i can't get anywhere with this set up now, it won't accept my user name or password, i must admit it was a surprise  when the photo's i put on showed up, its probably me or this old laptop, i can model a bit but i am useless with computers so apologies to everyone for not posting comments on their builds, i can view them but can't add comments, sorry,  they all look great by the way.