Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
JerseeJerry55

Warmer weather project

Recommended Posts

Hello and hope all are well. Just got the AMT Ford snow plow kit. Unsure of tractor or dump truck in it’s future. If anyone has built the snow plow version can you pass on any issues or build tips. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I built this one several years ago and for the most part it builds very nice. The plow is a bit tricky just because of all the little parts, but not too bad and the details are a bit lacking, but you can add your own. Overall I loved this build and had a lot of fun doing it. I would show you pictures, but it and several other of my models were stolen and it is gone. It was an original kit, but the good news is that they are redoing it and I can build it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I built this one several years ago and for the most part it builds very nice. The plow is a bit tricky just because of all the little parts, but not too bad and the details are a bit lacking, but you can add your own. Overall I loved this build and had a lot of fun doing it. I would show you pictures, but it and several other of my models were stolen and it is gone. It was an original kit, but the good news is that they are redoing it and I can build it again. 

Thanks for the reply. My concern is assembling things such as the bed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, JerseeJerry55 said:

Thanks for the reply. My concern is assembling things such as the bed. 

I don't remember having any issues with the bed, it went together just fine. You should have no issues unless the re-pop is warped or bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

I don't remember having any issues with the bed, it went together just fine. You should have no issues unless the re-pop is warped or bad. 

I’m a pins and holes builder. So flat surface to equally flat surface is not my strong suit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerry:  Do you do your building on a flat surface?  If not may I suggest a trip to the hardware store and get a piece of glass about 12" square.  Place it on a cutting board or some other surface that is equally flat so that it rests evenly.  Use the glass surface as a building surface  and a small square to help with making 90 degree joints.  Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Jerry:  Do you do your building on a flat surface?  If not may I suggest a trip to the hardware store and get a piece of glass about 12" square.  Place it on a cutting board or some other surface that is equally flat so that it rests evenly.  Use the glass surface as a building surface  and a small square to help with making 90 degree joints.  Hope this helps.

I will try that. Thanks for the tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 9:27 AM, JerseeJerry55 said:

I’m a pins and holes builder. So flat surface to equally flat surface is not my strong suit. 

AMT kits are a little harder than others. Sometimes the instructions are vague, and don't show exactly where a part is supposed to go. Sometimes it requires a little test fitting with trial and error, before you actually build. There's a little more satisfaction that comes with it though. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, delta99 said:

AMT kits are a little harder than others. Sometimes the instructions are vague, and don't show exactly where a part is supposed to go. Sometimes it requires a little test fitting with trial and error, before you actually build. There's a little more satisfaction that comes with it though. Good luck!

Thanks I will keep that in mind as I build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dump truck frame started. Wasn’t crazy that the frame inserts for the tractor version were mismolded so I chose the more challenging version.

1F1156E8-D2B9-42AA-A122-7051AFBE6C07.jpeg

49C9574D-A9E3-4E13-9B1E-190DECA49316.jpeg

D18AA51C-738D-4D4C-88AB-38F0493E2BAB.jpeg

C12B214A-094C-4B30-815D-6D33B7BFA172.jpeg

D670312F-3B46-441B-84C5-1B3F438870BD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice and flat 

Theres been a few builds where I've used a small line level to assure frames are correct , doesnt hurt to check..now the wheels will sit on ground ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good

What color you going for on the frame and engine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vince66 said:

Looking good

What color you going for on the frame and engine. 

Thank you. Frame will be Black. The engine undecided. If I do it as an early 1970’s example will be Ford engine Blue. If I make her late 1970’s Cat Yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the front of the dump box may be a smidge too close to the cab. Seeing as I have already glued the hinge box in place what are my options to move the hinge box back slightly? 

44782D73-36F0-437F-A660-8639182F74D5.jpeg

9FC6DC0C-83C0-42E3-8006-87EF45667519.jpeg

0F47CDB6-C8A4-41D8-8CA2-3826EE6E909B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

    Jerry,

             I like that kitas a dump truck. Though I have never built a snow plow . Only saw snow in Miami once .

And it for sure doesn't snow .Where I am in the Philippines !

       Liking what you've done thus far. Keep up the good work !

 

   Be Well

   Gator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good!

My only complaint with this kit is that the cab fits loosely on the interior bucket and there is a lot of gaps around the firewall unless you fill them. I used Evergreen styrene to fill the gaps on mine. I also used doll house hinges to hinge the hood.

As far as the bed to the back of cab clearance, it looks like the one that I built years ago is the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looking good!

My only complaint with this kit is that the cab fits loosely on the interior bucket and there is a lot of gaps around the firewall unless you fill them. I used Evergreen styrene to fill the gaps on mine. I also used doll house hinges to hinge the hood.

As far as the bed to the back of cab clearance, it looks like the one that I built years ago is the same way.

Thank you much appreciated. I will keep that in mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More work on the cab/hood. Roof lights, horn holes drilled. Did the seals around windshield, and rear glass in Black Sharpie. Lettering, emblems, wipers, and door handles done in Silver Sharpie.

55313FAD-3F84-4BDE-BD70-968102E51E86.jpeg

D8D00834-F3F0-4243-ABEA-F1B9FDF74A25.jpeg

397069F0-4453-4692-8CDC-B7B2188B4E91.jpeg

AF250189-3702-442E-9D6C-34FF6770B9A3.jpeg

8AEF57A1-B8A8-4EEC-B4B1-367F8B64BCAA.jpeg

6C3D170E-D830-4311-96EB-B02E72881803.jpeg

6E18D63F-39B8-47CB-8401-E6E1FCAA4D2D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, the wheelbase on the AMT dump kit is a  bit too short. I slid the tandem back as much as possible on my build.

IMG_5456 (3).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...