Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford/Shelby Gaurdsman Blue for Cobra/GT350,etc.

That's why I posted a picture of CSX2345 Gary, because there can be no doubt it is the authentic Guardsman Blue that Shelby used on the race cars. It finished it last race in 1965 and they parked it.

I'm no paint expert either but that doesn't look metallic to my eye.  However I've not seen the car in person.

That  Colorite paint chip is NO indication of what the paint looks like when applied on a surface.

Look at this Tamiya paint chart and tell me which of the paints are "metallic" There are SOME that the name says metallic. But some metallic colors are not labeled metallic. Such as "TS50 Mica Blue". Most of us on here have seen that color, if not on a model we've painted ourselves, then at model shows or even in magazines. To me, TS50 looks almost metalflake.Like ALL of the Tamiya paint chips, the metallic or pearl does NOT show any metallic or pearl or translucent quality. It's "ink on paper" type paint "chips", not actual paint chips.

Look at this Tamiya paint chart from the Tamiya site.

tamiya-ts-paint-chips-be5c.jpg

Now perhaps part of the issue here is individual definition of "metallic". I'm NOT talking "metal flake" here. I was "there" when the Shelby team was racing Cobras. Carroll Shelby took my dad for a ride around Riverside Raceway in Cobra #1 in 1962. It was painted a yellow gold metallic, almost metal flake at the time ( I learned later that that particular car got repainted many times in different colors to make it seem that they had built many Cobras to convince FIA and SCCA that Cobras were actually in production). I Tech Inspected Cobras at SCCA races many times over the years, including USRRC events. I GUARANTEE you that those Guardsman Blue Cobras were DEFINITELY metallic. Look at the sheen along the upper flank of the Cobra here:

Cobra_#99_1964_USRRC_Sept64_MidOhio.jpg

The increase in silvery quality of the paint shows that it IS metallic. Just as the Chevy behind it is metallic color, while the Porsche 356 Coupe is NOT metallic. You don't see that sort of sheen on this Mustang that is painted in a blue that is NOT metallic. Both in the sun, both blue, the Mustang is shiny and glossy, but it has has no sheen, the Cobra DOES have a sheen.

Maier-Motorsports-Mustang-77-copy-1200x8

I didn't start this thread to argue about what is a metallic color and what is not. I was asking for suggestions for the best choice in model paint to represent Guardsman Blue.

"Guardsman Blue ...... there ain't no such thing ....... the painters would all get drunk on Friday and they wouldn't show up. Whatever the painter that week thought was Guardsman Blue to him, that was Guardsman Blue, see, so there might be 500 different colors of Guardsman Blue."

Carroll Shelby.

Ken Miles Cobra.jpg

On 3/21/2020 at 1:59 PM, DustyMojave said:

I've not tried those craft acrylic paints on styrene.

* How well do they adhere?

* Do they go on as thin as paint made for model cars?

* It looks pretty good on the hood of that Cobra, (I presume it's an MPC 1/16 scale kit)

* I also presume you will be adding clear over that to get a gloss finish. Is that correct?

* Further, since we are in official panic mode, such stores are currently shut down in LA County where I live as well as all of California, both since yesterday evening. So I can't just run to the nearest store (about 24 miles). I'm not sure how the panic will affect buying online.

Adherence of paint is good, dries quickly(15 min to touch)

That's the 1:25th Revell kit..I've cut the doors and trunk out

As a clear, I will use Alclad Aqua Gloss (goes over anything)?

They do take a bit more thinner to get through the brush, I also pump up the comp. to 25 - 30 psi.

I hear you about panic it's all getting here pretty quick..

Take care of yourself

Edited by Belugawrx
more thinner

• 10 months later...
On 3/22/2020 at 5:05 PM, 65slotcar said:
"Guardsman Blue ...... there ain't no such thing ....... the painters would all get drunk on Friday and they wouldn't show up. Whatever the painter that week thought was Guardsman Blue to him, that was Guardsman Blue, see, so there might be 500 different colors of Guardsman Blue."

Carroll Shelby.

Ken Miles Cobra.jpg

Read the top of the photo. I wanted to bring this thread back to the top because the question of Guardsman Blue will undoubtedly continue to resurface and I’m so glad, that in this thread, the above post was finally made. I realize that the original poster was trying to find a premixed paint that most closely resembles original “Shelby Guardsman Blue”, but that is where the problem begins, because ANYBODY trying to mix “Shelby Guardsman Blue” is doing so according to their own interpretation. Now we do have the Cobra to go by that AFX posted, but does that mean that that car is the best example of “Shelby Guardsman Blue”? ... not necessarily, because as Carroll said, “Whatever the painter that week thought was Guardsman Blue to him, that was Guardsman Blue”. I’ve read where there were races where three different team Cobras were all painted “Guardsman Blue”, but all were noticeably different shades. Apparently there was also a “Ford Guardsman Blue”, which probably does have a code, which from what I’ve come to learn was ALSO metallic, but was darker than the Shelby variations. This is just part of the stuff that makes the old Shelbys fascinating ... that they were raw and kind of crude, in a very purpose built way. 

My suggestion to anyone building more than one Shelby kit to be painted in “Guardsman Blue” is to make sure they are varying shades of the same general blue, because that would be much more authentic, whereas making them all the same PERFECT Guardsman Blue would be totally inaccurate to history.🤠

34 minutes ago, Venom said:

My suggestion to anyone building more than one Shelby kit to be painted in “Guardsman Blue” is to make sure they are varying shades of the same general blue, because that would be much more authentic, whereas making them all the same PERFECT Guardsman Blue would be totally inaccurate to history.🤠

Following your suggestion I painted each of my Cobras a different color of Guardsman Blue.

20210214_190404.jpg.5a1478f90c394975f82d4ad29bc7baa2.jpg

48 minutes ago, Venom said:

Ha ha! .... That’s because you know what’s up Gramps🤠 Very impressive lineup of legendary Shelbys!!!👍

Yes it is.  If nothing else building Cobra’s years apart will probably take care of the paint not being the same on each one. 😉

12 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Yes it is.  If nothing else building Cobra’s years apart will probably take care of the paint not being the same on each one. 😉

I sometimes wonder just how much deviation there was in the shades of original Guardsman Blue. Obviously lighting plays a roll in how we perceive it.

2293631C-059A-411B-A659-F95F4B56C501.jpeg.b79177b07e4e069161e32e1e31961635.jpeg319CFF22-E22E-4ABF-BA5E-DC819F5212F2.jpeg.9ddd11087e2f62d2374964d058bb50ae.jpeg8649B6D2-84D3-401D-879D-6488642496B2.jpeg.07948bbe35ad81e2eb3f8acb063633d6.jpeg

To me, this is what I perceive as the best representation of Guardsman Blue, but then that could depend on how your monitor is set.94F2DEA6-AA46-49E1-AF64-A5BD6CBC24CB.jpeg.f82f697150e6344ec93d59cc44c9bfc2.jpeg

I guess to me it appears that it’s not a really pure blue ... it’s got a touch of dirtiness to it if you know what I mean.

Edited by Venom