Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone know what a gundam is

kpnuts

And if the Tom Daniel stuff are considered models even though they aren't based on actual vehicles, then modeling something based on a cartoon is totally legitimate.

And is some person doesn't consider those "legitimate" modeling (whatever that is) , why is that of the slightest importance?

Edited by Richard Bartrop

I call it even when AMT and Revell do some new tooling that compares to Bandai. 

Most High Grade (HG) kit have more parts then a AMT 3 in 1 and are cheaper and of a higher quality. 

If you you want to have the last say then yes, hang your hat on the fact they don’t need to replica a 1:1 scale item that will get picked apart for being inaccurate. That’s true.

Still great fun kits and Bandai’s quality is like nothing else I’ve seen before.

Chris ?

That's fine guys.

Everybody here has opinions.

You have yours, and I have mine.

One just as valid as the other.

There's really no need to cast aspersions because my opinion doesn't match yours.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Don't understand the need for people to be so narrowed minded.

I don't consider anybody that enjoys this particular hobby anything other than noble if it's what they like to do.

I wouldn't tag a Gundam builder who doesn't like model cars as "narrow minded", or an armor builder who won't build an aircraft carrier "narrow minded".

I would consider them dedicated to their craft, and I wouldn't demand that they genuflect to my way of thinking just because it happens to be a cousin of what I am passionate about.

There are but a few sites on the web dedicated solely to model cars.

I'll bet there are plenty dedicated to Gundam as well.

I doubt very much that they are demanding my approval.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Beats mindless video games.

Do you find them mindless because they are something that you have no interest in, or know little about Bob, or are you just being "narrow minded"? ;)

Steve

I wasnt trying to start name calling or anything let's all cool down I dont have a genre I wont build or dont like, i have some i haven't tried yet, I will build pretty much anything that takes my fancy (I suppose I get attracted to ships more than anything but they tend to be looooong builds so I interspers other kits inbetweene)

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

There's really no need to cast aspersions because my opinion doesn't match yours

I only stated the facts about kit quality and that your correct about not being a replica of a 1:1 object. 

You’ve continued to state your lack of interest in Gundam, no interest (I assume) in looking into or learning about them, yet you keep coming back to comment your opinion. I’m not attacking you I’m only stating facts.

looking forward to your reply 

Chris ?

1 hour ago, Sandboarder said:

I only stated the facts about kit quality and that your correct about not being a replica of a 1:1 object. 

You’ve continued to state your lack of interest in Gundam, no interest (I assume) in looking into or learning about them, yet you keep coming back to comment your opinion. I’m not attacking you I’m only stating facts.

looking forward to your reply 

Chris ?

That reply was directed at Bob.

It was in reference to the "narrow minded" statement.

I respect your opinion Chris, as well as Bob's, and everyone elses.

Everyone's opinion should be respected here.

And I have no knowledge or doubt about the quality of the kits.

I'm only stating my opinion on the subject matter, but that opinion appears to be unacceptable to some.

I've read many statements over the years on some of the boards that some people feel that building factory stock model cars, (which is my main interest) is boring or dumb.

I don't take it personally.

But I won't darken the doorstep of this thread any longer.

I wasn't looking to get into a fight.

I just thought that it might be worthwhile to add a dissenting view to the discussion about these models.

There's a good possibility that someone starting a thread about about 1/25th scale Corvettes on a nautical model forum might get a few raised eyebrows and a couple of guffaws as well. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Dude, this threads ask about Gundam’s!! You don’t build Gundam’s so why comment with your opinion. No asked what does Steve thinks about made up robot mech. 

Im not picking a fight I’m waiting for you to stop commenting on subject you have little or no interest in. 

I really appreciate the work you put into your builds. Not everyone has that level of dedication or motivation. After 25 years of building cars, I don’t have the time anymore and after building Bandai’s kits I’m still in the hobby and the quality is mind blowing which is what this thread is asking about? Yeah, gundam kits?

I respect you but this time your don’t need to have the last comment defending yourself on a subject your not into. Let this thread go.

I'm primarily an automotive builder, but have built other things. That includes a large scale Headless Horseman and a small scale Pirate Ship.... Both of those projects taught me techniques that I could use on the cars and such..... It never hurts to get out of your comfort zone and try something new!

Guys, why not just let Steve have his opinion and leave it at that.  He is clearly not interested in your Gundam hobbies.  So what.  You cant and won't convert him.  Just let it go before this thread gets locked (which it seems to be the direction it is heading for).  At this point Steve seem to be trolling (whether accidentally or on purpose), to defend his stance. Who cares.  JUST DROP IT!

And before you go there: nobody made me a moderator - I'm saying all of this as a fellow forum member.  We are all under stress like we never had before - do we need to get all in the huff here, talking about models?

Edited by peteski

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Guys, why not just let Steve have his opinion and leave it at that.  He is clearly not interested in your Gundam hobbies.  So what.  You cant and won't convert him.  Just let it go before this thread gets locked (which it seems to be the direction it is heading for).  At this point Steve seem to be trolling (whether accidentally or on purpose), to defend his stance. Who cares.  JUST DROP IT!

And before you go there: nobody made me a moderator - I'm saying all of this as a fellow forum member.  We are all under stress like we never had before - do we need to get all in the huff here, talking about models?

I agree and believe my comments are on topic. The topic is “what a Gundam is” I stated their origins, made mention of how great a Bandai brand kit is and how easy they are to build from my personal experience. 

Request to lock the thread if you feel the need. So the stress of the world situation gives people the right to troll and discredit a subject they have no interest in??

I think if your off topic and not talking from personal experience then keep your opinions and comments to yourself. 

Sorry that this reply is off topic. I hope you agree with my statement.

This section of the forum is for discussing anything,  There is no off-topic here.  Gundam would also be prefect suitable for the "All the Rest" section but  that's not the point.

My beef was about what seem to have become personal attacks between members. I'm no moderator and I don't want this thread locked either. Gundam is a worthy discussion that IMO should continue.  I just thought that it was going towards the big thread lock.

This section of the forum is for discussing anything,  There is no off-topic here.  Gundam would also be prefect suitable for the "All the Rest" section but  that's not the point.

My beef was about what seem to have become personal attacks between members. I'm no moderator and I don't want this thread locked either. Gundam is a worthy discussion that IMO should continue.  I just thought that it was going towards the big thread lock.

While the section is “off-topic” this thread of discussion is titled “what is a gundam”. Hence all discussion should be about the titles topic and original poster’s question, Gundam’s. 

I did not attack Steve, I only quoted him. I encouraged him to stop trolling and posting in a section asking “what is a gundam” which he has no interest in. No interest = stop posting, yes?

I have no issue with any members but weather you be trolling, bored, cyber bulling or discrediting a subject, I will ask you to stop. Which I have done while supporting the topic of debate.  

Chris, I wrote " This section of the forum is for discussing anything". Anything means "anything and everything".

I AM AGREEING WITH YOU!!

I think if we all drop this part of the conversation, we can go back to happily discussing Gundam.

Chris, I wrote " This section of the forum is for discussing anything". Anything means "anything and everything".

No this thread topic is “Anyone know what a gundam is”

I’m a member of lots of forums and it doesn’t matter what section you post in. You generally discuss the threads topic. In this case it’s “anyone know what a gundam is”

If a members trolls your threads with off topic conversations and opinions, normally everyone hates on them for doing it. 

Now im happy to discuss Gundam in more detail and share images and information with KPnuts. If you want to discuss anything and everything start your own thread in this section, as you pointed out it’s for anything and everything. 

47 minutes ago, Sandboarder said:

No this thread topic is “Anyone know what a gundam is”

I’m a member of lots of forums and it doesn’t matter what section you post in. You generally discuss the threads topic. In this case it’s “anyone know what a gundam is”

If a members trolls your threads with off topic conversations and opinions, normally everyone hates on them for doing it.

Now im happy to discuss Gundam in more detail and share images and information with KPnuts. If you want to discuss anything and everything start your own thread in this section, as you pointed out it’s for anything and everything. 

Sorry Chris. We have a total communication breakdown here.  I'm not saying that the Gundam thread is for discussing anything and everything.  I'm saying that the Off-Topic Lounge section of this forum is for any topic (including a Gundam topic).  This thread is well within the scope of this forum section.    Forget it that I mentioned anything. Sorry!  Carry on.

18 minutes ago, peteski said:

Sorry Chris. We have a total communication breakdown here.  I'm not saying that the Gundam thread is for discussing anything and everything.  I'm saying that the Off-Topic Lounge section of this forum is for any topic (including a Gundam topic).  This thread is well within the scope of this forum section.    Forget it that I mentioned anything. Sorry!  Carry on.

I knew we were on the same page. I’m glad we can have a good chat and discussion. 

?

4 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Sorry to have opened such a bag of worms, I thought it was a fairly innocuous question. Obviously I should have stuck to safe subjects like, oh I don’t know, oh what’s better acrylics or enamels.

I apologise for hijacking your thread and getting on forum etiquette.

Is the kit you’ve order an RX-178? If so I have a HG version of that and can try a share some ‘what’s in the box’ pictures when I get the chance, if you like. 2 popular things when building these are the Tamiya panel line and to finish them in a flat coat. You have a choice to paint them or just use a clear coat which is why it’s good that they are moulded in the correct colours. 

Just 2 popular techniques a lot of builders do. 

Edited by Sandboarder

Gundam is new to me.  It's making a big contribution to the business at a couple of the  local hobby shops - that's good with me. 

The interest in model cars has gone down.  Their model car inventory is still good but much less than it used to be.   Gundam has taken it's place and is more popular with the younger crowd that spends money.   It's brought some other changes.  The paint, tool and book selection has become much larger and more interesting - which opens up lots of new options for model car projects.  From the ownre's side, model car kits are in direct competition with Hobby Lobby - imagine being a local shop going against that giant.  Gundam is a product that  does well for the local hpbby shop.

I considered starting a Gundam project, but already have too many hobby projects.

so Gundam question - HG?  What is  the difference between HG and a standard Gundam?

I have never built a Gundam kit but some of the members of my club have and brought them to our show-n-tell meetings.  What impressed the heck out of me is the kit's engineering.  I don't remember the manufacturer - the amazing thing was that the parts were molded in multiple colors on the parts tree!  That's an amazing feat of engineering.  The molds must be really complex!  The molding quality was also very fine, and most of the joints on the models were articulated.

I remember my first experience with IPMS many years ago, and the prevailing opinion was that if it didn't have wings or treads, it wasn't "real" modelling, so forget stinking up the place with car models.    Today, the local club here, the Rocky Mountain Model Club, boasts some of the best military modelers in the country, and they have no problem with people who want to build cars, or Gundam, or anything else that strikes your fancy.

Now, some people seem to feel that it is very important to let us know that they don't consider certain subjects "real" modelling.  I guess the big takeaway is that what they think is not really that important.

Muncie There’s a few scales and difficulties. HG is high grade and basically a skill 3 in their line off 6 skills. I attached a image show some differences. But there’s also a vintage original kits that are getting re-issued as FG or fun Grade with the least amount of parts. 

KPnuts I get lost in there unit codes but have found a bunch I like so I started with them a pick out more as I go looking at kits. 

Peteski have you seen the RG parts tree? They figure out a way to mould parts together the the tree. I’ve seen hands with moving fingers still sealed in the plastic bag. 

?

8010320A-81AB-4A9F-A7D3-8CB7B0F7027F.jpeg

Edited by Sandboarder

27 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I remember my first experience with IPMS many years ago, and the prevailing opinion was that if it didn't have wings or treads, it wasn't "real" modelling, so forget stinking up the place with car models.    Today, the local club here, the Rocky Mountain Model Club, boasts some of the best military modelers in the country, and they have no problem with people who want to build cars, or Gundam, or anything else that strikes your fancy.

Now, some people seem to feel that it is very important to let us know that they don't consider certain subjects "real" modelling.  I guess the big takeaway is that what they think is not really that important.

I agree 100%. I'm also pleased that IPMS became more enlightened and less narrow minded.