Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP - Fujimi GT40 MKII - Ken Miles

16 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

I had always assumed "trans" referred to transformation.  You are transforming one body style into another using parts, usually chassis and interior from the original kit, into a different body version.

Stay safe ya'll.

Car guy transformer.

IMG_7499.JPG

I hope so Dann. I hope so! I have been looking at Randy Ditton's brass build of the MKI and it is stunning. I hope to do my build just as much justice. Not only that, I am a small fry when compared to the lot of you guys. I am just trying to keep being inspired by all of you. Hopefully my build does the same.

15 hours ago, Codi said:

And I thought I was crazy Justin.  Your focus and attention to detail / accuracy are commendable.  It shows in the results so far.  cheers, tim

Thank you Tim! I'm checking out your builds! I like crazy.

And thank you again.

I don't know if it is my autism or the fact that I get an annoyed feeling when I see so much attention to detail and then on the same build I see my bad paint job. Or vice versa, a great paint job, but the "extras" were omitted. I know it is different to each builder but to me it is like "well if I am going to make the bonnet articulated, then I should do the parts that are seen under the bonnet." but then I get more obsessed and say to myself "dammit, if I can see the parts under the bonnet, then they should be accurate..." ? ? maybe a bit of column a and a bit of column b. 

Edited by IbuildScaleModels

15 hours ago, Codi said:

And I thought I was crazy Justin.  Your focus and attention to detail / accuracy are commendable.  It shows in the results so far.  cheers, tim

Wow... Just wow. I am humbled even further! I'm going to shut up for a while and build so that I can hold weight to your comment Tim. I need to improve. I'll be back with more pictures. 

Edit: Tim, so.... I am going through your fotki album. I think you are thinking too highly of my skills. I am flabbergasted by guys that have your level of skill. That scratchbuilt engine, the suspension, the pinion, the... EVERYTHING! SWEET BABY JESUS!!! I can only hope to make it to your level one day!

Humbled.... Justin

more thoughts...

Tim, thank you thank you! I do enjoy the details. I just want it to look as realistic as possible so that the people who know this car look at it and say 'hey check, there's the correct oil pump. Oh hey look at that...there's a... (finish the sentence)" 

Bill, thank you also! I have yet to mold/cast the number lights, make a radiator fan, put the ventilation tubes in, build the oil pan, put the wiring in... seems like a lot of stuff to do. I will get there.

Well Justin, you just prove to every one that the talent has nothing to do with the tooling used.  You're right about the incredible display of skills shown everywhere on this forum and sir; you're part of them!   You have the attention to detail and I like that ...  If something good can emerge from these hard times (COVID-19), among other it's the incredible work done by all of you guys and it's a blessing for this fantastic hobby.  I'll be back to check your next updates, keep your good work!

Thanks for sharing Justin and take care of you, Francis

Francis, you are too kind! And thank you guys for believing in me. It humbles me to see how guys like you, who make such fine models and spend so much time doing so, compliment my work. 

Just an update on the hood... Just need to say oops! I heated up the hood over the stove to get more of a curve in the hood and ended up warping it! ? 

At least Gramps and Rex sent me some spare parts that I will now have to use. 

Also at the same time I am slowly cutting away at some brass to make the front upper suspension... 

I am using Albion Alloys 1mm brass rod for the suspension. I started using the 1.1mm brass tubing as it was the right size but once I put a bend into it, the tube just became completely deformed. So a bit of a compromise needed to happen. I should be able to use the 1.1 tubing for the rear suspension as there are 0 bends and all angles. Just a hell of a lot of cuts to make. 

Enjoy and keep building! 

Justin

IMG_20200422_135122.jpg

IMG_20200422_135126.jpg

IMG_20200422_135118.jpg

IMG_20200422_135058.jpg

IMG_20200422_104425.jpg

IMG_20200422_105029.jpg

IMG_20200422_105049.jpg

IMG_20200422_105231.jpg

IMG_20200422_135151.jpg

On 4/22/2020 at 1:59 PM, IbuildScaleModels said:

Just an update on the hood... Just need to say oops! I heated up the hood over the stove to get more of a curve in the hood and ended up warping it!

Don't worry Justin, sh... happen sometime but it's often an opportunity to improve the goofed part.  Great recover so far my friend!!!

Just testing a theory out to see if I can make a piston from 3mm diameter brss rod... Yup... I can do... ? 

I was thinking about this all last night after thinking of what milling machine I would need... Either it doesn't matter or I grab a watchmaker mill. 

IMG_20200425_124805.jpg

IMG_20200425_133225.jpg

IMG_20200425_133241.jpg

IMG_20200425_133243.jpg

IMG_20200425_134626.jpg

IMG_20200425_134702.jpg

IMG_20200425_134709.jpg

IMG_20200425_151026.jpg

IMG_20200425_151053.jpg