Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘85 Corvette.

Scalper

Another start. Monogram classic ‘85 vette molded in red.   Working on the body first. Started painting the black trim.   Going to leave this one Bare plastic. Has my supplies are dwindling. 73057C99-ED53-407B-96E5-342782540B3B.jpeg.9e2eb88570cdeedd649d2ef7d9d282ae.jpeg

91871FEA-16DD-40FB-94A2-886B5E8F609C.thumb.jpeg.0a9c21c40f9f00bfd47e75889055ec86.jpeg

Thabks for looking. All comments welcomed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm following this one.  I had an 84 Corvette back in the day.  I bought it cheap as somebody had ran it through a barbed wire fence.  I worked all summer getting it ready to drive to school.  

I have the kit you are working on.  Did anyone make a Crossfire motor?

3 minutes ago, jdhog said:

I'm following this one.  I had an 84 Corvette back in the day.  I bought it cheap as somebody had ran it through a barbed wire fence.  I worked all summer getting it ready to drive to school.  

I think that the Camaro Z-28 kits for that year had the Crossfire induction system. 

12 hours ago, jdhog said:

Mpc made a 84'corvette with the ceasefire system and also Monogram made a 84 corvette snap kit with part of the engine molded to the body,but the top half was separate, i think.

2 hours ago, kelson said:

Mpc made a 84'corvette with the ceasefire system and also Monogram made a 84 corvette snap kit with part of the engine molded to the body,but the top half was separate, i think.

Yes - the MPC '84 Vette was one of the first model cars I ever built and its a real challenge of a paint job. The majority of the engine is moulded as part of the body, as well as the taillights. If the Crossfire engine is the one with a big square air cleaner, then it has one.

This '85 kit looks a lot better. Looking forward to seeing more progress. 

Nice work, I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

I'm in the process of building this same Monogram 85 Corvette.  I'm using my own 85 C4 as my template, basically making a small clone of my actual car.  I had to buy a spare kit as the original kit I purchased was an opened kit and the body was already painted and the rear glass was damaged.  I noticed something between what was supposed to be 2 identical kits.  There must of been an update of some sort because one kit's exhaust system had turned down exhaust tips, which is wrong for an 85 but correct for an 84.  The other kit I purchased, the opened one, had the correct exhaust tips but the front y-pipe was wrong for that year, it was for an 86 & newer.  

Anyway, I'm kit bashing to get the needed parts I need to make my replica, I needed wheels, etc.  I'm also leaving the body unpainted as my car is red and the body really is in nice shape without mold lines, etc.  I'll just polish it when I'm done and yes, as someone mentioned above, C4's were not that shiny when new.  I'm impressed with the engine bay and suspension detail.  Having the real thing in my driveway is great for reference.  I'm not a fan of the molded in taillights tho, but using Testor's metallic red taillight paint made them pop and I think it looks good.  

I've posted pics of my real 85 and the model 85 in "draft" form.

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg

Looks good. I just remembered another possibility for the Cross Fire Injection, it may be also in the Pontiac Firebird kit of that same year model. All three of those cars shared engines at that time in the 1:1 world. I think it would have to be a Trans Am as that was sort of Pontiacs version of the Z-28.   

1 minute ago, espo said:

Looks good. I just remembered another possibility for the Cross Fire Injection, it may be also in the Pontiac Firebird kit of that same year model. All three of those cars shared engines at that time in the 1:1 world. I think it would have to be a Trans Am as that was sort of Pontiacs version of the Z-28.   

Yes the 82 Trans Am has the cross Fire I believe. I think I have it my parts bag  

On 5/5/2020 at 5:25 AM, kelson said:

I like this kit,the only downside is the molded in taillights.?

The ragtop version (molded in yellow pace car or molded in blue metal flake series) has clear red tail lamps, which makes me thing they forgot to design the parts for the coup.