Model Cars Magazine Forum

Most Modern Ford Automatic?

Unfortunately Ford didn't think much when they did their engines and transmissions as most Ford engine familys have different bolt patterns (one for the Flathead, one for the Ford Y-block, one for the Lincoln Y-block, two for the 221-351W, 351C and 5.0 small block and early Modular, two for the MEL, one for the FE, one for the 335 family 351M-400 and 385 family 429-460, and one for the Coyote...all different) so Ford had to do different cases for their transmissions to fit their engines, so the C4 had two different patterns and the C6 had three and so on.
As most of the later cars from Ford had the 5.0 the C5 and the AOD can be retrofitted on the 1965 or later 289-351W small block, but you can't fit an AOD or any other modern transmission to a FE, 335 or 385 series without an adapter as none of them were made with a case that fits directly.
The engineers at GM and Chevrolet was smarter as all Chevy engines has the same bolt pattern, so you can put whatever transmission you want to any of their engines.

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

How about the transmissions in some of the later model Mustang kits?

I think those have five and six speed manuals depending on the year. I'm gonna stab the five speed into my project and see if it will possibly work before I commit to an automatic. 

57 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

No problem, only reason I remembered is I have one in my stash lol....

I'm pretty sure I have one in the stash. I'm wondering exactly what kind of automatic it is. I've also considered the engine and transmission from the Foose pickup. I don't know exactly what that transmission is either. Just that it's an automatic. Gonna have to do some research. 

It's a C6 in the Foose truck, so it's a 3 speed.
The Roush built engine is an all aluminum FE sideoiler and there aren't many transmissions available that fits to the FE, the old cast iron Cruise-O-Matic, they made a few aluminum C4's with FE bolt pattern, the aluminum C6 and the FMX was also behind FE's, all 3-speed and the C6 is the strongest of them.

Edited by Force

You might look for the newest Mustang kit you can find that has an Automatic Transmission in it. I would think that would give you the transmission you're looking for and you have the rest of the kit for parts.