Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford vs. Ferrari

So I just watched the excellent Ford vs. Ferrari movie last night.  Now I have a need to build a Ford GT 40. Have any of you out there in model building land build the Monogram version? This kit has been on my shelf for a while and I think I need to build it once the L-29 (in the background) is done. I'm curious how it goes together. 

20200511_192447_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod
Correction

I do not remember anything in particular that was difficult.  The bundle of snakes exhaust pipes might be tricky.  It is much better than the LS kit from Japan and fits a little better than the IMC kits.  As you can see I did the Shelby version @ Daytona. 

IMG_7837.JPG

IMG_7838.JPG

IMG_7839.JPG

IMG_7840.JPG

IMG_7841.JPG

Edited by vamach1

Excellent assistance folks. I have been thinking of something as a simple in between build before diving back into a more complicated model. It looks like the GT 40 might be just the right thing.  Maybe do an uncomplicated out of box build. Almost the moment I hit the post button I saw the other thread about these so I'll read that through also.  Thanks again for the help. 

I think mine stalled out because the rear section didn't want to fit snugly.  Something I did wrong for certain.  Just saying that there might be potential for something to not fit and to build carefully.  

Thanks for posting the built up Rex, I had not seen one built up before.  I did notice the kit body has the scopes on the sides of the rear bonnet which is correct for GT103 and GT104, the Daytona cars, just as you built it.  Interestingly they are not shown on the box art.

Looking forward to your build Eric.

Being an old Aurora tool, it's a bit of a weird homunculus of MkI and MkII with most of the details being sheer guesswork given that the kit was tooled while the car was still being refined on track. Even the contemporary IMC kit outshines the Aurora in just about every respect, but with the existence of the excellent Fujimi MkII kit, there's simply no reason to bother with the Aurora tooling. 

It most closely resembles the early 1965 season cars (Daytona, Sebring) if that matters to you.  By the Lemans practice week and especially the Lemans race way too many things had changed.  Recall that racing cars were/are constantly changing.  Find a car that you like at a time period that you like and go to town.  Or paint it Candy Apple red with Manga girls all over it.  Its all good.