Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing Chrome Plating

Casey429

Need some help here everybody, this is uncharted water for me, so i don't want to screw up. How do I de-chrome parts? I've heard of bleach and CSC. I've used CSC for stripping paint, but don't have any expereience witht he stuff on chrome. I'd like to use bleach, because thats what I have on hand. If anyone can throw in some pointers, that would be great.

Thanks!

Easy Off works well for me........however if you use this, be sure to get the Easy Off in the yellow can!

The Fume Free doesn't do a dang thing and it's a real waste of time! :x

What I like best about the Easy Off is that it will also take off the clear lacquer that the model companies use in the plating process. I'm not sure the CSC or Westley's does that.

As with all these products MAKE SURE you're wearing rubber gloves as each of these products are nasty to your skin!

I've found that Castrol Super Clean (CSC) will take the lacquer undercoat off, but it takes a while. Typically, the chrome plating is gone within an hour but the undercoat takes 2-3 days. I just drop the parts in and leave them in there for the week.

Definitely use rubber gloves for removing the stripped parts from the CSC bath. Auto parts stores usually have "solvent gloves" that are rubber and fairly inexpensive that are made to protect from all sorts of nasty chemicals.

you guys must use a different csc than i do. i dip chrome in that stuff and its gone right down to the plastic in two minutes.

unfortunately they seem to have changed the formula in california and the new stuff doesnt remove paint half as well as it used to. so last time i was in reno i bought some jugs there and its back to its true strength.

the "california" (and some other states too im sure) stuff still does the job on chrome plating and fast too.

As an alternative to CSC. I use Purple Power. Rumor has it that it doesen't last as long as CSC, but I personally have not noticed. I get it at the local Advance auto parts in 5 Gallon form for about $17.00. I also use it to scrub the oil stains off my driveway. As for chrome, it strips it off in a matter of minuites. It takes a lot longer to strip the laquer coat though. I usually like to leave the laquer coat on if I am going to use something like alcad II because the surface is already smooth. Just a coat of gloss black,than Alcad!!! For removing the laquer coat, it may be best to use oven cleaner if you are in a time crunch!!! KT

Casey, the CSC works pretty good, but I prefer Westley's Bleche White (a whitewall cleaner). Neither one will harm the plastic.

I bit the bullet and bought some Bleche White. How long should I let it sit in there before all the chrome is gone and I can paint the parts?

Casey,

As the others have noted, the chrome comes off in a very short time, but the clear coat under the chrome can take several days. I usually just leave the clear on there if it isn't messed up. (Sometimes they put it on kinda thick or even get runs in it!).

Make sure you wear the rubber gloves, and wash the parts off really well with clear water, and let them dry completely before you try and paint them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Can't remember if it was.................uh, where was I?.......hmmm..........Oh Yeah! is it shaving cream that you soak chrome plated parts in, to get the chrome off? I haven't tried it yet, but I seem to remember that's what we did years (centuries) ago. I saw where someone used brake fluid to strip the paint off a Ferrari. Oh well, thanx for..........uh.............

• 1 month later...
Thanx guys. finally got me an Allison, and it's all chrome--for now, anyways. Hopefuelly while I'm painting it, I'll figure out what to put it in! Nice truck, Kenny.

######'n

If its a parts pack motor...household bleach(clorox) will dechrome in 10 min or so..DOT3 brake fluid is for strippin paint!

you can also use oven cleaner the blue top

works good for me

Easy Off works for me...........but the yellow can version works much faster if you don't want to wait until next year for the chrome to be dechromed! :lol::o

Also the blue can (Fume Free) version doesn't remove the lacquer base underneath which is recommended if you want a flawless rechrome job. :lol:

Unless they reformulated it recently, I've not had the Fume Free Easy Off do the job for me. Just be sure to wear rubber gloves if you use it!

Edited by MrObsessive