Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercury Cyclone

Modlbldr

I picked up this Mercury Psyclone kit recently and dove into it yesterday. Got it primed in dark grey and shot with an old can of auto touch-up paint in orange. Came out a Copper color.

I cut apart some Slixx decals and rearranged them to make the name "Backlash". Dug through my decal stash for the rest of the decals. Here's where I'm at today. I haven't built many drag cars, so let me know what you think. 

Later-

IMG_20200812_103932828.jpg

IMG_20200812_063056815.jpg

IMG_20200812_141757431.jpg

IMG_20200812_141810376.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Did it stay together this time? ?

It's amazing how well it goes together when you build it the way it was supposed to be built. I don't even want to discuss what I was doing wrong. 

I've got to find some different front tires. The two piece kit tires are way too big, in my opinion.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

21 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

Are you still looking for tires?

No. I think these will work. Just some nice old Firestones. I like the look of them because they are tall and somewhat skinny. Looked a bit like these.

I got a bunch of the pieces remaining painted up today and ready to assemble. I should be able to get this done by early next week.

Later-

Screenshot_20200826-165631.png

Edited by Modlbldr

2 hours ago, David Miller said:

Is that kit the same as the newly re-issued Nicolas Eliminator2 Cyclone ? You know the one that has a body of an altered wheelbase car yet the kit wants you to build it as a funny car . The radiator attaches to the core support and lifts up with the body ! 

That would be the one. Lol. Right now I'm having an issue with the front of the body not sitting all the way down. It wants to stick up and shows about an 1/8 inch of the frame rails below the front of the doors. Seems that the interior tin is hitting on the rear chassis wheel wells. I may just end up gluing it closed. I highly doubt I would display it very often with the body up anyway.

I spent some time today painting and assembling the engine. I may be able to get this finished this weekend.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr