Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why not construct a story about the local garage that wanted to celebrate a special anniversary of the founding of their business in 1962 so they found a clean '62 Ford pick up truck that they had restored. They proudly display it at local car shows and drive it as a parade vehicle. That would work nicely.

Edited by misterNNL
My kindle thinks it knows what I'm trying to say.

Nice. I'm Xtra fond of these trucks.

I bought my '61 F100 long bed Custom Cab in 1976. A couple years later I replaced the original 292 with a mighty 390 with a cam, Edelbrock manifold, Carter AFB carb, long tube headers and US Mag slots. Nearly 400,000 miles later, the 390 got replaced with a 428 Cobra Jet. Repainted in original color.

Note that in the AMT 1962 F100 kit, and for that replacement grille you got, they used a 1961 grille. In spite of the 1962 license plates on the bumpers. The real 62 grille looks a lot like a 63 grille without the 2 heavy bars of the  '61, but with a more complex grille.

100mph1.jpg

7 hours ago, DustyMojave said:

Nice. I'm Xtra fond of these trucks.

I bought my '61 F100 long bed Custom Cab in 1976. A couple years later I replaced the original 292 with a mighty 390 with a cam, Edelbrock manifold, Carter AFB carb, long tube headers and US Mag slots. Nearly 400,000 miles later, the 390 got replaced with a 428 Cobra Jet. Repainted in original color.

Note that in the AMT 1962 F100 kit, and for that replacement grille you got, they used a 1961 grille. In spite of the 1962 license plates on the bumpers. The real 62 grille looks a lot like a 63 grille without the 2 heavy bars of the  '61, but with a more complex grille.

100mph1.jpg

PM sent to you.

15 hours ago, DustyMojave said:

Not true. The grille in the AMT '62 F-100 kit and Roger's model is '62 vintage. The '61 has the FORD letters in the grille like so.

20191224_144718-1.jpg.b36b830cf85d3ca8352c4efa5a0c0843.jpg

The '62 has the slender cross bar in the grille like so. Same grille as in Roger's truck.

47989277668_42ec596ac1_c.jpg

A neighbor up the block from me shortly after I bought my '61 F100 bought a '62 long bed Custom Cab Integral Cab. '62 version of my '61. I bought the aftermarket side saddle auxiliary gas tanks from it and put them in mine. His had a grille different from all of those shown, but most like the '63 shown in the "Quick Guide" above. IIRC, small rectangles instead of the long bars. My long time best friend had a 63 Short Bed Styleside (like the green one shown above with the 57-60 style bed). It had the same grille as the '63 shown in the guide. But painted white with black accents instead of chrome. After some fool ran a red light and he rammed the side of the car, he replaced the whole front clip with pieces from a '64 Custom Cab. That grille was aluminum with the recessed areas painted black.. I've seen photos of the '62 grille shown in the guide with the slender horizontal bar, but I've never encountered one in person. Maybe Ford was still doing with pickup grilles what they did with sedan grilles in the late 30s. Differences in the grille to signify different sub models. It was quite common in Detroit in the 60s. I used to have a neighbor around the corner who had a '67 Dodge Coronet with mis-matched grille halves. Both halves were '67 Coronet, but different sub models.

On December 16, 2020 at 10:56 AM, Painted Black said:

Roger,

From what I have researched, they are the same grille, just the one you pictured is steel vs the anodized alum style.  I think the painted grilles were standard cab and the alum were Custom Cab...could be wrong, but that is what I have learned so far.

If you compare them, they're quite different. The white '63 grille I posted is basically a slotted grille with two verticle bars. The aluminum '63 grille is much more complex.

• 1 month later...

My apologies for not responding to these posts. Over thanksgiving I came down with COVID-19 and ended up in the hospital and a long recovery. I wasn’t very active on the forum during this time. I didn’t have the original kit grille and purchased a resin piece that had a separate grill, lower roll pan and bumper. This is what ended up on my truck as it was the closest to the reference photos I had. The printed grille  I had purchased was too flat and I decided against it.