Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Cougar inner fenders resin

2 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

When I built my 69 Cougar Drag Kat (Early 70's issue?). It had inner fenders. I just dug through my meager parts box as I know I had some 67 Mustang parts in it. Unfortunately, not the engine bay. Sorry. Good Luck.

That would have been the MPC kit. It did have proper inner fenders. The AMT kit is a completely different kit.

Remember, AMT and MPC were competitors at that time.

8 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

That would have been the MPC kit. It did have proper inner fenders. The AMT kit is a completely different kit.

Remember, AMT and MPC were competitors at that time.

You may end up having to cut up another kit to get a realistic looking engine compartment.

6 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Rex, what would you say? Use the entire chassis from 67 Mustang?

I would certainly experiment with that.  I used a 69/70 Revell/Monorgram engine compartment for one of the 73 MPC Mustang kits.  It is not a perfect fit but this is why I despise the older promo chassis based kits.

31BA7748-DCAB-471E-97B1-CF4CF52FCF43.jpeg

I have a couple of the Missing Link inner fender units, and IMHO they are better suited for a 65-66 Mustang or a Falcon or Maverick than the 69 Cougar. I would seek out an MPC 71-73 Cougar inner fender unit (I did) for a 69 Cougar build. Not perfect, but the size is better I think.

8 hours ago, Rodent said:

I would seek out an MPC 71-73 Cougar inner fender unit (I did) for a 69 Cougar build. Not perfect, but the size is better I think.

And there's one on eBay right now, NOS:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MPC-1973-MERCURY-COUGAR-ORIGINAL-ENGINE-BAY-PARTS-NOS-KIT-7322-CIRCA-1973/233704121620

7 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Would the new '69 boss from Revell work and chassis ?

I don't know. I would have to do some test fitting. A 1:1 Cougar has a three-inch longer wheelbase than a Mustang, and the floor pan of the Revell kit is part of the interior bucket. I haven't started mine, but I was planning on cutting away the Cougar wheelwells, but leaving the upper suspension mounting point, then using the MPC 71-73 Cougar inner fenders. Not 100% accurate, but it would get you a better looking engine compartment IMHO. It's going to take a bit of trimming and fitting.

57 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I don't know. I would have to do some test fitting. A 1:1 Cougar has a three-inch longer wheelbase than a Mustang, and the floor pan of the Revell kit is part of the interior bucket. I haven't started mine, but I was planning on cutting away the Cougar wheelwells, but leaving the upper suspension mounting point, then using the MPC 71-73 Cougar inner fenders. Not 100% accurate, but it would get you a better looking engine compartment IMHO. It's going to take a bit of trimming and fitting.

I'm thinking the AMT '67 Shelby gt-350 would work better ?

3 hours ago, Rodent said:

On the actual cars, the difference in the wheelbase is behind the front seats.  Mustang Carpet fits in a Cougar.  

BTW the engine compartment from the AMT 67 Mustang fits the AMT 69 Cougar nicely.  Cut out, clean up the edges, add a couple of strips of Evergreen on the sides and install in the Cougar.

I used the front portion of the Mustang chassis and rear portion of the Cougar chassis in my build.  Can't remember where the splice is.

17 hours ago, vamach1 said:

You may end up having to cut up another kit to get a realistic looking engine compartment.

I don't have the fortitude to build replica stock. 

That's why I build hot rods and customs. If someone wants to call my work wrong I don't really care.

First photo is an AMT '69 Cougar with the MPC 71-73 inner fenders and core support taped in. It fits very well IMHO and will require minimal shaping to fit the body. The core support even fits in the body groves for the kit's support. The second one is the Missing Link unit. It is very nicely made and they are very inexpensive when he has them, but it would take more work to make it fit the Cougar. The distance from the shock towers to the firewall isn't long enough for the Cougar body, plus the shape looks more like a pre-66 Falcon or a 65-66 Mustang to my eye. I will pull out an AMT 66 Mustang body one of these times and mock up the Missing Link part just for fun. I expect it to be a perfect fit.

My 67 and 69 Mustangs are kind of buried right now, so no pics of those parts.

s0IPO8VaMJI7AqwYQX6pmAVIyhrmzN7CBupYu8BHoAPdF9jk4_MRCyGQge-bmosN8KAiilRU0vawyegnt3i-CW52-DNSSXtX5cR9quStrm4RrdsjRqmloVg3njT_z3KWvOmbvyikFQi03-ByMQbMo5ZekBP6xUiUgg-BY7fIiNj1cTjt0YGmAmFOx6DW6_M5ETzVMQeLM9BodwD6nV86lxe7-9u6uwTZzrCwyunnRkChhNYVFYMjLkAMsvKhhIW9Se2CdT4Zcpec0zkjDUSj0u-ucKJh130vRAQ8ig5DQaeJqhc9nNC9kZLGXH9QfYbQ4RGv1p1yX0zICup--aG09jOJL2R4xDf4rAGFQDRRtutZrT0p7gwcAZFDPYWYK1QSkoxn65AKt40oe1wBQzl_nGGkwdo7ebmBrL3cvs92CGiQXskmlm8rZcg08CwUNTlwk0jeRrXQn3yKXKfEf23Wm3vNTx5bRYsSsMuO3iRiPNghUK2O5JnpR8A6CbkUkDkRHKYgdBz7iUQLZEf_nk4j6_pGj-atBUg_V9_eaDeHV_ryVseRAM1_LK-bhdCHar8riBlK-hcHg4eZM8wEaBIpMoALTeeiezdz9qbS_DLQ70TTEpENqsQcIuq7dqKn8YMum-iPH2WVb9vRthqE5O3ZhdNbW_e7BZHk74YHifBbdEP2oHmA0r7njoWSQrsYYA=w674-h716-no?authuser=0

-0vAu9ywLUvjny0x-W0GyooW-fk8Ar5EF7CvsfcoQzNhPNuAdEdRTr3M7BdieO21fdGYD4JcoqCYib2tRVA36N8UO_D0kwMaY1Zx_u3VvEofP7HXn9lqI9QHBQrYD_k9RIQ_aVXdwJbgXV71EoZy-dfixBH2DEz84oCoLD7FbSVfbbdPbkTCCtikgj9SKm9mn99xdfVZMzuOwn9tX_YJlXhVp617J69Wp04tWNYGSpM6wvSQgm6ZuHlIW6QWyCX5MzDHFicri5aBD73ebopcgmum7xwLWXEe4_VRS6xRW8nuYigY1fnLHEHGFYJHQZ2Zyd1NOf6dtYK3tA-iaKbwYZRmMFrhWHRj4NG1MtqQ_u7z7IbKlKUzefyzshf3hB3QRS7kXlmAkKp3oFZLvuKB_2H867bndN0D5Gl7BiWuvGtWoI36ZM5W_45AVYMLp9FJZE2uWZvc3DgiIErtF2sI0hiFBIdoOJoXVQghEhv1QSK7AQWBqUv8vc7c_f2vlxQuz284yiUZpeyDnsSKKUK23VB8tYJTQXs_37nsUBdMTQKw_8U8Q1zQkdrPkgoZz8QIKAwnEoBTd9W8eqjJC5aJrVwCL_SeK4J6kL5XVRTiZt4dH1szg8zSOKxJ2Gj01_f-rCqMSJIT9q3LiDf9MBkSem1qyUvBJgBHo5Hbo6xdDC_-FWvZeeEc-i5hNgswhA=w696-h716-no?authuser=0

7 hours ago, sfhess said:

On the actual cars, the difference in the wheelbase is behind the front seats.  Mustang Carpet fits in a Cougar.  

BTW the engine compartment from the AMT 67 Mustang fits the AMT 69 Cougar nicely.  Cut out, clean up the edges, add a couple of strips of Evergreen on the sides and install in the Cougar.

I used the front portion of the Mustang chassis and rear portion of the Cougar chassis in my build.  Can't remember where the splice is.

That is what I just did , thank you all for helping me out with this !