Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24th Scale Lotus Super 7 Series 2

Bernard Kron

DSCF7893-web.jpg
Lotus Super Seven Series 2 Club Racer

This is a Lotus Super 7 with, in terms of Lotus subculture, “all the right stuff”. It’s based on the 1/24th scale Tamiya kit built pretty much straight out of the box with the exception of the Lotus “wobbly” magnesium wheels. Along with the bare metal aluminum body panels and the kit-supplied Cosworth-Ford motor with twin Webers, the wobblies complete the list of high-status details. Of course the fact that it’s a pukka Lotus S2 as opposed to a mere Caterham replica will get you respect on both track days and at the Concourse. The wobblies were cast by Dave Bantoft, a very fine modeler in Australia, who generously supplied me with them. Thanks Dave! The bare metal finish was achieved with a combination of Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome and Kosutte Ginsan metalizing powder. The fiberglas body parts and the roll over bar are finished in Tamiya TS-43 Racing Green. In keeping with the club racer theme I deleted the rear spare tire. The interior surfaces are finished in Testors Acryl Signal Red. Chrome bits were picked out in Molotow Chrome paint.

This was my first Tamiya kit and the precision fit and detail accuracy made the experience a genuine pleasure.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF7886-qwb.jpg
DSCF7884-web.jpg
DSCF7889-web.jpg
DSCF7879-web.jpg
DSCF7892-web.jpg
DSCF7890-web.jpg
DSCF7889-B-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, slusher said:

Very nice!

8 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Just came across this. I really like how it turned out with the Wobblies and Donnington wind screens. It is a very nice kit for starters and you took it to another demension.

Thanks again, to you both!

On 10/3/2020 at 4:43 PM, Dave B said:

Looks the part Bernard, nice to see it finished.

Dave B

Thanks Dave. Couldn't have done it without you! Sorry I had to go the "as-raced" route, but the bare aluminum's fragility demanded it. The other set of wobblies should look better under the Lotus Eleven since I can leave the tires intact.

17 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Nice. I've seen these at Goodwood festival of Speed, these things can move!

Thanks Gareth. While this kit is just short of full detail (no separate space frame) there's enough there to give an appreciation of how advanced it was for a 1957 design. The suspension, especially, might very well be from sports cars of 10 years later. Between their ultralight weight, near-center engine location, and superior road holding, I suspect  they provide an almost modern driving experience, especially since the Series 2 was fitted with disc brakes.