Model Cars Magazine Forum

30’s and 40’s kits?

What are some really nice kits of cars or trucks from the 30’s and 40’s ? I know most of them are likely very old tooling and some are not true to the 1:1 version. Can anyone recommend some really good ones, post 1932 ish?

Thanks, Greg.

On 10/3/2020 at 11:19 AM, Ctmodeler said:

Lindberg has a couple. 38 custom ford van. 

There's a great hot rod chassis lurking under that kit, and it will fit under quite a few '30's and '40's kits. The same chassis is under the '38 Ford roadster. Those kits are easy to find and cheap.

Some good '30's-'40's kits were first issued in the 1990's or later, so they're much better detailed than kits dating from the '60s.  The Revell '41 Chevy pickup is one of those, along with their '37 Ford pickups and panel trucks already mentioned. 

The '37 trucks are 1/25 scale and the Revell '37 Ford cars are 1/24, if that matters. If you want to build a stock '37 sedan or coupe, the longer wheelbase on the 1/25 trucks might even work in your favor.  The '37 cars have a hot rod chassis, like the Revell '32 Fords, but they can be converted to stock.  You can find articles on this site showing how to do that.

The Revell '40 and '48 Fords and '49 Mercurys are also newer tools and great kits. 

The '41 Ford Woody is a pretty nice newer-tooled AMT kit.

Edited by Mike999

Don't forget the Galaxie kits of the Chevrolet for '46 thru '48 year models. They offer a 2 door coupe, a Sedan Delivery, and an Aerosedan also. Very accurate chassis, body and interiors. They even have some speed equipment for the 6 cyl. engine.   

Lots of good stuff already mentioned.  The Monogram classic kits do omit some fine detail, but all the shapes are right, and they still build up into nice models.  THe MPC 32 Imperial looks good, though it it is pretty fiddly.   If you want some European subjects, Heller has some very nice subjects, though in their quest for scale appearrance can mean some very delicate parts.  For more recent offerings there are Tamiya's Toyoda Model AA and ICM's Opel Admiral, though I haven't built either of those, so I can't say what they're like to build.

5 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Lots of good stuff already mentioned.  The Monogram classic kits do omit some fine detail, but all the shapes are right, and they still build up into nice models.  THe MPC 32 Imperial looks good, though it it is pretty fiddly.   If you want some European subjects, Heller has some very nice subjects, though in their quest for scale appearrance can mean some very delicate parts.  For more recent offerings there are Tamiya's Toyoda Model AA and ICM's Opel Admiral, though I haven't built either of those, so I can't say what they're like to build.

I'm currently working on the Opel Admiral kit. It has good engraving and precise fit with very little, if any, flash. Well detailed, but the multi-piece body may deter some who would otherwise consider it. 

2 hours ago, Chuckyg1 said:

I'm currently working on the Opel Admiral kit. It has good engraving and precise fit with very little, if any, flash. Well detailed, but the multi-piece body may deter some who would otherwise consider it. 

If everything fits, multi piece isn't a big deal.I forgot to mention that Italeri does some 1930s subjects as well, and they use multi piece bodies.  They do a 1933 Cadillac V-16 with that wild Art Deco styling, but the engine detail isn't the greatest.