Model Cars Magazine Forum

First try at a build thread here.  Gonna do a MPC end dump trailer.  I am stitching two of these together and making a 35 ft. tandem.  That 24 ft tri axle always looked strange to me, betting it would be a handful to drive that.   Would be downright scary on wet or sloppy roads.   I am still debating if I want to change it to frameless.  Thinking it would be about the same amount of work as stretching the frame.  Might have to flip a coin.   Anyway I got a start on it, got the tubs cut and glued together.  This might take a while since I am not a very fast builder.

IMG_6333r.jpg

IMG_6335r.jpg

IMG_6336r.jpg

IMG_6337r.jpg

This looks great... I'm thinking about doing another one of these, myself... I'm with you on the 24'er... Never liked that... I did mine with a stretched frame behind a reworked Freightliner FLD120... I can't wait to see what you decide... My vote is for the frameless, though.... Looking good, Bro!!!

I like what you are doing with this one! I had just the opposite idea of cutting one down and making a 20 footer.

Looking forward to seeing more! It will be great frameless or with a frame.

That's going to be a big dump.  Nice progress so far.

That looks great. I love the idea. I had one of these a while back and, long story, it got stolen. But I remember the flash on that kit was terrible. I took it with me to a hotel to work on. I spent hours sanding and cutting all the flash off of the parts. When I left the hotel room it looked like I had a cocaine party! White dust was everywhere.

Was yours the same way or have they gotten better?

9 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

That looks great. I love the idea. I had one of these a while back and, long story, it got stolen. But I remember the flash on that kit was terrible. I took it with me to a hotel to work on. I spent hours sanding and cutting all the flash off of the parts. When I left the hotel room it looked like I had a cocaine party! White dust was everywhere.

Was yours the same way or have they gotten better?

Scott, yes the flash is unreal on this thing.  I spent nearly 2 hrs. yesterday deburring the tub and inner liner.  Had to be careful I didn't cut myself on it.  There is almost enough flash on it to make another kit.   I remember all these truck kits were a bit sloppy even back in the 70's.    Cleanup alone will add several hours to this build.   

Made a bit more progress the last couple days.    Keyword little haha.  Got the seams from gluing the tub pieces together sanded down and a coat primer on inner tub.  Gotta hit the store and get a can of filler primer to get it smoothed out,  got it pretty close already.   Whittled and sanded a whole bunch of flash off of the suspension pieces and chopped off  the springs and mounting points for the forward axle.  Still not sure if I will make it frameless yet,  although I am leaning that way.IMG_6344r.jpg.7712003b963b42079b42073cde960be6.jpgIMG_6345r.jpg.ccb483a5220004544d6173d77ea61eb9.jpg

You're looking really good, Man... Very nice work.... Weather you go frameless or otherwise, this is going to look good... Very clean work on the dump body...

Made a bit more forward progress on this trailer.  Fabbed up the mounts for the subframe arms.  Just going off of pics I found on the net,  eyeball engineering here.  Also noticed I have to do something with the axle spacing.  Tires are touching, DOT would have a field day with that.......  Got the liner primed and sanded smooth and ready for paint.   Put the tractor in front of it just to get an idea what it will look like.  Now to make the plate for the king pin and make it all work.  Will likely take a few tries to get it.  Hope I can pull it off.IMG_6353r.jpg.e0b32c8369c96d8dd76131af3c285b32.jpgIMG_6364r.jpg.fee6301d1c336d953fc3e48550443402.jpgIMG_6370r.jpg.8699edd9e47ad098a7e007dd703f8168.jpgIMG_6378r.jpg.c1b353bdd3e1fe93e70d5d6a6e8bf4b4.jpg

Yes, Sir... That looks really good... I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing... This is already a quality build... Awesome...

And I'm an eyeball engineer, myself... 90% of all my fabs are done that way...

Edited by kilrathy10