Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello hope everybody’s safe and healthy. Visited Ollie’s and Hobby Lobby today. Picked up the AMT K123 for $20.00 at Ollie’s. Also picked up some paint at Hobby Lobby. Testors Extreme Lacquer Icy Blue for the cab and Krylon Regal Blue for the frame. I had this kit before and it gave me fits with some issues (rear axles mating to the springs, getting the frame straight, and getting the glass in place properly). So if anyone can share some tips I’d appreciate it.

87122D5F-000A-4087-A97A-E590AC02A8EA.jpeg

Edited by JerseeJerry55

For the glass I have also used clear Elmer's glue. Some people call it canopy glue. While it takes a long time for it to dry, if you bungle it, the glue comes off with soap and water and you try again. You can set that window 5 times and just keep cleaning it off and never worry about damage to the glass. I bungle a lot of glass and this has saved me a lot of frustration. 

Now, HPIGuys Workshop (YouTube) claims that if you coat the glass with Future, you can used CA (super glue) and it will not leave that nasty frosting of the glass that is typical with CA glue. However, I have not tried it, so use at your own risk. 

37 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

For the glass I have also used clear Elmer's glue. Some people call it canopy glue. While it takes a long time for it to dry, if you bungle it, the glue comes off with soap and water and you try again. You can set that window 5 times and just keep cleaning it off and never worry about damage to the glass. I bungle a lot of glass and this has saved me a lot of frustration. 

Now, HPIGuys Workshop (YouTube) claims that if you coat the glass with Future, you can used CA (super glue) and it will not leave that nasty frosting of the glass that is typical with CA glue. However, I have not tried it, so use at your own risk. 

Thanks for the tips

I really like these kits. They are temperamental to say the least. I’m not an expert for sure, but this is what I do.

On the frame, assemble both sides at once. Don’t install crossmembers to one side and let dry. I usually use CA glue and stand the frame on end and check it with a square. 
On the windshield I installed a overhead console the the glass stopped against. I also installed pinstripe to separate the corner glass. 
6A47F31A-56DE-40B3-AC86-6D3A97B076DB.jpeg.8a98a662f586339c04d13cdb433cd71d.jpeg

12 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I really like these kits. They are temperamental to say the least. I’m not an expert for sure, but this is what I do.

On the frame, assemble both sides at once. Don’t install crossmembers to one side and let dry. I usually use CA glue and stand the frame on end and check it with a square. 
On the windshield I installed a overhead console the the glass stopped against. I also installed pinstripe to separate the corner glass. 
6A47F31A-56DE-40B3-AC86-6D3A97B076DB.jpeg.8a98a662f586339c04d13cdb433cd71d.jpeg

Brian thanks. That looks great. I also read that Microscale Krystal Klear may do the trick. Along with Elmers or Canopy Cement. I know that the bigger issues straight frame, straight suspension, and getting the plumbing to fit properly under the cab are the bigger concerns. However in my case it's the smaller issues that bug me more. It's like well a compound fracture is the bigger concern. But the paper cut is more the nuisance. At least in my case it would be.

Edited by JerseeJerry55

As I plan out for supplies as this will be started in the Spring I will have questions. Want to do the tanks in a dull Aluminum shade. I know I will have to dechrome the tanks. However does anyone have a suggestion on a brand of spray paint for the job? I will also need suggestions on a product for dechroming parts. I usually use Easy Off in the Yellow can but am open to suggestions as well. As always i appreciate the help.

On 11/12/2020 at 7:03 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Yes! As you peel it off the roll, only one sticky side is open. The red is still on the second side. Place the sticky side on your glass, then peel off the red to expose the other sticky side that you then press into the body. 

Tom

Hi hope all is well. So as I understand and get the job done right. Apply the tape across the top, and bottom of the glass. Then remove the red and carefully press into place inside the cab. Also is it easily removable in case I make a boo boo.

5 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Tom

Hi hope all is well. So as I understand and get the job done right. Apply the tape across the top, and bottom of the glass. Then remove the red and carefully press into place inside the cab. Also is it easily removable in case I make a boo boo.

Absolutely!  If you mess up, peel the tape off and try again!

• 3 weeks later...