Model Cars Magazine Forum

Check out this BMF.

I was just wondering if this foil was sent like this, or could it have happened waiting in the USPS distribution center?  I ordered this three weeks ago, from Rhode Island to Pa, and it sat at our USPS facility for over two weeks. I’m requesting a refund regardless, but was wondering if temperature could have caused this?  After almost three weeks I am back to square one, with no foil. 

ADECC76C-80D8-4D7C-8F75-36B5DBB1707A.jpeg

F2A25B77-F45F-4652-BB42-C61731156AB2.jpeg

9273FBBB-339C-46CD-80B6-10BB74A0BCD1.jpeg

45B27762-1F36-4A63-8732-85DED82CD801.jpeg

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Did you order direct from BMF or from a vendor?

From a vendor on eBay. I’ve bought many from him in the past, and they all were perfect except for these two that arrived today. This package did sit in the USPS distribution facility for almost two weeks with no activity with the tracking number. That’s why I was wondering if that MIGHT have caused the wrinkles. Ever since that Louis DeJoy, general postmaster idiot took over, mail has been getting seriously delayed. 

8 hours ago, Brutalform said:

From a vendor on eBay. I’ve bought many from him in the past, and they all were perfect except for these two that arrived today. This package did sit in the USPS distribution facility for almost two weeks with no activity with the tracking number. That’s why I was wondering if that MIGHT have caused the wrinkles. Ever since that Louis DeJoy, general postmaster idiot took over, mail has been getting seriously delayed. 

I always buy direct from BMF. He ships it in a cardboard box. It arrives just like it left. 

Something you can do to "fix" the sheet you have is place it on a flat surface and roll a smooth sided drinking glass over it.  

13 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I always buy direct from BMF. He ships it in a cardboard box. It arrives just like it left. 

Something you can do to "fix" the sheet you have is place it on a flat surface and roll a smooth sided drinking glass over it.  

They are already back in the mail being returned. I’m gonna order new ones directly from BMF. 
I’ve read from other builders that the foil sometimes breaks where the wrinkles were at. 

Someone told me many years ago to keep my BMF in the refrigerator between uses.  I bought directly from BMF and kept it in the frig without it ever wrinkling in 7 years, so far.  I take it out about an hour before I go to use it which allows it to warm up, the back into the frig it goes when I'm done.  From the way this guy explained it, the wrinkles are due to the expansion and contraction of the foil and adhesive.  Seems logical, and so far I've never had a problem.

A.J.

3 minutes ago, maxwell48098 said:

Someone told me many years ago to keep my BMF in the refrigerator between uses.  I bought directly from BMF and kept it in the frig without it ever wrinkling in 7 years, so far.  I take it out about an hour before I go to use it which allows it to warm up, the back into the frig it goes when I'm done.  From the way this guy explained it, the wrinkles are due to the expansion and contraction of the foil and adhesive.  Seems logical, and so far I've never had a problem.

A.J.

I've never done that for that very reason. Going from cold to room temperature is going to cause contraction and expansion. I don't see how it couldn't. That's at least a 30 degree temperature swing. 

I’ve never put mine anywhere except in close reach from my bench. Usually hang them on a cork board. I like to use two sheets at a time, one for rear windows, and windshields, and the other sheet for long side molding trim cuts. I found that this method reduces waste, for me anyway. 

Ordering directly from BMF is no guarantee that you will not encounter issues.

They don't reserve anything special for their own distribution.

It's all the same stuff.

The only possible advantage is that it "might" be fresher than something that's been sitting on a hobby shop's shelves for some time, and it's most likely advantageous if it hasn't been exposed to too many environmental variations or too much handling during shipping, but there is no assurance that it will not encounter adverse conditions coming right from BMF either.

Concurrently, there is a very low probability that issues such as low adhesion or a cracked or "bumpy" sheet is any less likely coming directly from the company.

All that you can do is find a vendor that you trust and go with it.

I order all of my BMF from Amazon and have seen no discernible difference in quality than ordering direct.

It's a shot in the dark under any circumstance.

At least ordering through Amazon carries the bonus of knowing that I'll have my foil in hand in a few days. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I left out a critical part in my post above in that I cut the rough amount of BMF foil I'll be using, then put the remainder back in the fridge to avoid the expansion/contraction issue that causes the cracks and buckling.  It remains at a constant temp in the frig.   Here's my corrected BMF storage comment:

Someone told me many years ago to keep my BMF in the refrigerator between uses.  I bought directly from BMF and kept it in the frig without it ever wrinkling in 7 years, so far.  I take it out of the frig and cut off the amount I'll be needing from the sheet about an hour before I go to use it which allows it to warm up, the back into the frig it goes when I'm done.  From the way this guy explained it, the wrinkles are due to the expansion and contraction of the foil and adhesive.  Seems logical, and so far I've never had a problem.

A.J.

I've never had a sheet of foil wrinkle while in my possession.

I keep mine in a file cabinet in my shop and have never had one display this phenomenon over time.

I have however received sheets that have been wrinkled, and even bought one at a hobby shop that appeared unblemished through the tiny window, but I found it to be wrinkled when I removed it from the sleeve.

As stated by some above, it's an unfortunate circumstance, and I agree that in most instances the wrinkled areas are un-usable because they inevitably crack, but the remainder of the sheet is perfectly serviceable.

I don't think that circumstances like this are truly avoidable.

It's just the nature of the beast.

But much like a bad can of spray paint, which I have encountered much more often than a bad sheet of foil, it's just something that you have to deal with on occasion.

Steve

Bought two sheets from BMF and they arrived in perfect condition. 
The two wrinkled sheets that I returned for a refund STILL didn’t arrive to the destination yet, thanks to that idiot postmaster Louis DeJoy. The mail is moving terribly slow. It took me 28 days to receive a package that was sent priority. Priority normally takes only a couple of days, but now, the way the mail is moving, it’s taking 3-4 weeks! I feel sorry for the folks that get their medication in the mail. SMH. 

• 1 month later...