Model Cars Magazine Forum

What to use to make clear plastic windows.

Good evening everyone.  I posted a question a few days ago about resin semi truck cabs. I am still planning on getting the Mack F 700 cabover, and the Mack Superliner with sleeper resin cabs. They do not come with windows. So my question today is, what are some good things that can be used to make windows out of? The kits I plan to use for donor chassis are the GMC Astro for the F 700, and the AMT Mack Conventional that is green on the box for the Superliner.  Will the windows in these kits work, or what can be used to make windows?

Edited by James Maynard
Typos

I always keep my eyes open for the clear plastic vacuum formed packages that many items come in today. You know....that stuff, that seems impossible to open unless you have very sharp pair of scissors, or knife. You can trace the widow opening on thin card board, and transfer it onto the clear plastic. I’ve tried the clear Evergreen sheets, but almost every one I ever tried to use, the plastic was very cloudy, and not as clear as the package material. 

39 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

I always keep my eyes open for the clear plastic vacuum formed packages that many items come in today. You know....that stuff, that seems impossible to open unless you have very sharp pair of scissors, or knife. You can trace the widow opening on thin card board, and transfer it onto the clear plastic. I’ve tried the clear Evergreen sheets, but almost every one I ever tried to use, the plastic was very cloudy, and not as clear as the package material. 

+1. Clear plastic is all around you if you learn to look for it. I don't let any good pieces get away. Just last week I made the windshield for a '66 Nova from the clear plastic from a cheap diecast car's box. Worked fine! 

1 hour ago, James Maynard said:

what are some good things that can be used to make windows out of? 

I have used the smooth 2 liter soda bottles (as pictured ) ......even used 7 up bottles for tinted "gasser " windows.

0211211922-1.jpg

everything comes in PET now days, My wife gets the pre-washed salad containers that will give you a large flat area. It can be heated and used with or without vacuum ( if there are no undercuts) to form windows.

Pull Mold sml.jpg

Edited by Big John

On 2/11/2021 at 6:16 PM, Snake45 said:

+1. Clear plastic is all around you if you learn to look for it.

+2... I’m always keeping my eyes peeled for super cheap stuff with good plastic packaging at Walmart. The clearance isle is a good place to start. You might find something like the product below for $2.00 with nice, stiff, crystal clear plastic all around it. Throw the junk product in the trash where it belongs.

A5F9C829-071E-471E-8A31-E95BE0AC2D35.png.0954d20cc9296f410bdd09485540bfae.png

1 hour ago, Big John said:

everything comes in PET now days, My wife gets the pre-washed salad containers that will give you a large flat area. It can be heated and used with or without vacuum ( if there are no undercuts) to form windows.

Pull Mold sml.jpg

Most model car glass is only simple-curved, and doesn't even need a mold or forming. Make a pattern, cut your plastic, and glue it in place. You'll probably need to securely tape it in place while the glue dries. If it flat, though (as are many backlights), you don't even need that. 

My latest project used clear film the came wrapped around a cut flower.  It's 0.05 mm thick, which in 1:25 scale equates to only 3/64" in 1:1!

20210215_171049.thumb.jpg.d27c5d664f5743dddf00ce5fa4a2092a.jpg

Here it is on the windshield. The vertical bend was really easy to do, with no discoloration around the bend. 20210215_170846.thumb.jpg.8d933d3dde172136e09382838104da48.jpg

It cuts super easy with scissors, and I glued it in with canopy glue. Takes up no space inside the body, so the interior tub doesn't have to be cut down for the side windows. The only disadvantage so far is that it's so thin that it's hard to see. I had to use a flashlight to make sure I had it positioned correctly. 

41 minutes ago, Steamboat said:

My latest project used clear film the came wrapped around a cut flower.  It's 0.05 mm thick, which in 1:25 scale equates to only 3/64" in 1:1!

20210215_171049.thumb.jpg.d27c5d664f5743dddf00ce5fa4a2092a.jpg

Here it is on the windshield. The vertical bend was really easy to do, with no discoloration around the bend. 20210215_170846.thumb.jpg.8d933d3dde172136e09382838104da48.jpg

It cuts super easy with scissors, and I glued it in with canopy glue. Takes up no space inside the body, so the interior tub doesn't have to be cut down for the side windows. The only disadvantage so far is that it's so thin that it's hard to see. I had to use a flashlight to make sure I had it positioned correctly. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I have in the past on cars anyway used the plastic containers that things like sponge cakes come in at the deli at Walmart bakery. That works but doesn't bond well when glued in. These are great ideas and I will try them. I have ordered 2 junk semi build ups from ebay with busted cabs that I will use for donor chassis. Soon as they get here I will order the resin cabs.