Model Cars Magazine Forum

My last car build, AMT 71 Charger.

HobbyNutModels

Hello all, this was my last build, in 1999 when this kit first came out. This car was specifically my dream car, actually, I had three dream cars at the top of my list, 71 Charger, 70 Super Bee, and 68 Dart...more on that later. When I was younger I built a mix of models from Tanks, to Airplanes, to Cars. When I got into my 20’s I stopped building to take up flying airplanes, working in the Aviation industry, and playing with real cars. Then, 20 years ago, I started getting back into modeling and turned that in to a part time business building custom Diecast police cars for police departments, I was making custom decals, resin parts, etc. I took on a couple partners, one of which stole my resin molds and masters, and started selling them as his own. At that point I stopped with that business and went to do commission plastic models, this was one of the ones I actually built for myself, since then I stopped building because I was very busy after 9/11 working with the Army as engine logistics warehouse manager (CIV) during OIF and OEF for the Kiowa. Later as the helicopter was retired, I started doing other things for other military engine programs, and as time freed up, I got back into modeling. I left that job and got back into the hobby doing commission work and selling models, last year I opened HobbyNutModels.com, but I have been building military models, but the itch to get back to cars is strong, I am deciding what to make my first build getting back in, I have a 1/24 Tamiya Lotus 7, a Tamiya FXX, and maybe a Salvinos Petty Car. It’s hard deciding, I may start all three. Anyway, here is my 71 Charger, the wheels broke off a few times since 1999, and the mirrors were lost, but the kit faired fairly well, I will hunt around for some mirrors and maybe throw a coat of 2K clear on it to restore it.

3BBF8561-424C-41FA-AA59-73160C6BE773.jpeg

2E16E762-40B2-4F36-B9CE-BCE74472C623.jpeg

F3D9C0CD-B1EA-4D69-A657-9F2E63F1378D.jpeg

3884A226-6C01-4DBF-8A55-46442318B372.jpeg

C109F2E2-FCBB-4CE1-847B-71A64307D7BF.jpeg

8F49616A-A288-443B-ADC2-5849D9AEE53F.jpeg

7888F251-1D08-4424-8FB4-9421EB193A73.jpeg

On 2/27/2021 at 3:18 PM, steveracer said:

Cool models and love the 68 Dart GTS.  And do you still have the Scamp or Swinger?

Welcome to the club, looks like you know what you are doing! :)

Sadly, no. I had to sell my toys when we moved from TX to TN a couple years ago, and my knee and back just don’t allow me to build the 1/1 cars anymore. But the great thing about models, you can have many dream cars!

On 2/27/2021 at 3:18 PM, steveracer said:

Cool models and love the 68 Dart GTS.  And do you still have the Scamp or Swinger?

Welcome to the club, looks like you know what you are doing! :)

The white dart was a project just to have a driver while I was working on the 68.