Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great work (as usual...) Daniel, an ingenious builder like you is never caught off guard!  These little PC board bits are so handy and make very straight and precise holes, hard to do without them once you've mastered their strengths and weaknesses...  I love the work you did on the direction so far, it's great art my friend! 👌

23 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great work (as usual...) Daniel, an ingenious builder like you is never caught off guard!  These little PC board bits are so handy and make very straight and precise holes, hard to do without them once you've mastered their strengths and weaknesses...  I love the work you did on the direction so far, it's great art my friend! 👌

Thank you, Francis. I just ordered 20 .021" bits. I bought an assortment of resharpened bits a while back, as well. Once I add the brakes and shocks, I can move on to hanging the rear suspension. I appreciate your encouragement, my friend!

I've been working on the front brakes (thus fleshing out the rears, theoretically making those easier). After wasting a bunch of time trying to clean up my castings, when all I needed were the calipers, the little light went on! I scratched them, instead. I still have a couple of tiny details to add, but the bodies of them are built, and I think they look pretty decent! Also seen here are the "brackets" added to the spindles to attach the brake assembly. Those will be contoured, when I disassemble the suspension for paint. The main body of the caliper assembly is Plastruct "H" stock, with one side sawed off. The rest of the assembly is various sizes of Evergreen rod and strip. Critiques, questions and comments are, of course, always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

I "bolted" the engine to the firewall/motor plate. That means I now have the engine location set. While rummaging through parts, I came across these remains of the AMT Craig Carter IMSA Camaro's induction setup I used on a project nearly forty years ago. I'll need to restore the manifold, but, it's a perfect fit--both on the engine, and with the car's theme.

Perusing photos of these things, I've discovered them to be pretty wide-open, as to setups, etc. For the small block Chevys, Hilborn fuel injection is, by far, most common. However, I've seen three deuce setups, six singles, and so on, on cars from 1975. I was going to use the Hilborn setup, but I already have an Enderle injected dragster, a straight tube injected hemi dragster, and a Badman with an injected big block Chevy, so...

As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0001.jpg

2DSC_0002.jpg

2DSC_0013cr.jpg

2DSC_0015cr.jpg

I've begun sorting out the body. The "fiberglass" shell and aluminum belly pans' mounting should be fairly straightforward. I cut the pans to clear the oil pan. which can be seen, protruding beneath. I need to cut the bottom section of the track roadster nose from Revell's Model A pickup kit, to mate with the upper section. The lower nose section from my Edmunds kit is AWOL, so I'll need to wait until it's on the wheels again, to take measurements for cutting and fitting. I really enjoy working with sheet metal! Comments, questions and critiques are always welcome! Thanks for looking.

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

Thanks for your comments, my friend. It looks kind of cool, looking down into the cockpit, with the belly pans, firewall and seat all aluminum sheet. I think it's going to be a bit tricky, fitting the dash panel. because it has to match the hood line, since there's no cowl. I really would like to do the hood from aluminum, as well, but, we'll see how that goes! I like the oil pan, under there, as well. 

Feels like I got  lot done, yesterday morning, and overnight. I drilled a pair of rods to build the rear hairpins. I made a die to make the intake  stacks for the carbs, along with a couple of test pieces. I added two new chassis tubes, to mount the bosses for the rear radius rods, and got those mounted, and drilled holes in the belly pan, to clear them. The lower body is drilled, along with the upper part of the rear pan, so that they can be pinned together. Next, I will fabricate and mount the tabs for the lower side of the rear belly pan, to match those already in place, for the front pan. Once those tabs are in place, I can begin cleaning up the chassis, to prepare it for paint. Since the body, itself is fiberglass, I will probably pick something from the Zolatone chart to duplicate for the inside surfaces of that. I also began covering the fuel tank with tooling aluminum. I have a technique I want to use on the weld seams. Anyway. questions, comments and critiques are always welcome! Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0002.jpg

2DSC_0005cr.jpg

2DSC_0010cr.jpg

2DSC_0019cr.jpg

2DSC_0022cr.jpg

2DSC_0024cr.jpg

2DSC_0033cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

On 6/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Very clever idea for the carburetor stacks Daniel, you have never stopped to impress me my friend!  I LOVE the aluminum work on the belly pan by the way. 👍

As always, I appreciate your comments, my friend! I have been making those flaring tools for over twenty years. They work nicely, but they almost have to be custom made to suit the specific application. Thankfully, I have a lathe, for that! I now have installed the mounting tabs, and have the pans and body pinned together. The body will be removable,while leaving the belly pans in place, for display.

I have ordered tire lettering from Joseph, at Fireball (His stuff is absolutely the best!). As soon as those decals arrive, I will begin working on the tires and wheels. I am about to upholster the seat bucket using a new technique I want to try--and a new material. As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome! Thank you, folks, for kindly dropping in! 😁

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

A few new items to report: I bought some  bookbinding leather for the  seat. It measures about .015" thick. I used a paper pattern to shape it, then soaked it in diluted tacky glue, to conform it to the seat. I am  going to emboss a pattern in it using basic leather working techniques.

The kit's "steering box" was a rectangular blob, molded to the firewall. Obviously, that went away, along with the molded-in firewall. I couldn't find a steering box I liked, that fit, so, I scratched one up. Looks better, and actually fits where it needs to!

I also didn't fully appreciate my selection of Vertex mags, either. I have a drawing of a Vertex mag in my files that is dimensioned. That turned out to be quite handy! I made a new one of steel, aluminum and plastic. The cap looks too rounded, in these photos (it's not so pronounced, to the naked eye). I am now considering a new cap.

Thanks for looking. Questions, comments and critiques are always welcome!

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Monogram Don Edmunds Supermodified