Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:16 FED, 1965

Mike Williams

@Nitrobarry, I felt the same way, Barry.  Just build a simple design of a classic dragster, no electronics anywhere, just show power without frills.  I feel the car has perfect dimensions, not stretched too long yet long enough to handle better than the older shorties.  The motor dump, right up against the slicks does it for me. Thank you.

@CT, you found it!  I had to play around with photographing so long to get it right. not an easy task as my old lightbox doesn't handle 1:16 cars very well.  I agree, the intricate and frail front axle sets the car off.  I love this old simple design, and as you stated a while back, you could easily envision the car staging at Lions, way back when.  Thank you again for your time and support.

PS:  The other brass FED, the long car is also finished....coming up soon, right here!

Thanks guys,

Mike..

I agree, very nicely done Front Engine Dragster. I really like seeing these things either in real life or as scale models. Yours is definitely one of the best ones that I've seen. I think all of the steering linkages etc make a huge difference to the overall look, as those parts usually are lacking detail when using kit parts. Excellent work!

• Thanks 1

@Niko, many thanks for the compliments.  The front end is a favorite area of modelling for me, the intricate linkage does look nice when the car sits on the shelf.

@Jim Owen, your approval is greatly appreciated, thank you.

@Trevor, "stunningly brutal", what a wonderful phrase!  I do think it fits, these cars are just that.  Yes, the wheels are laced.  Brass rims this time with silver coated copper wire, ultra thin.  40 spokes each wheel.  Alclad chrome paint.  The tires are from a Revell kit, as are the rears.

Thank guys, Mike..

This is great art my friend!

Believe me, your hands are incredible and we have the proof with these pictures.  Simply one of the best FED realizations I've ever seen.  As others have already mentioned, it's as close to the real thing as you can get and that's an unmistakable mark of success!

Delicious as you say so well!!! 🏆

• 2 weeks later...