Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hertz Mustang

bluestringer

Built mine a while back, actually the first Ford I ever built. It's a nice kit and pretty easy to do. Valences front and rear, quarter windows take some finessing to get right. Also, be aware, getting the stripe decals on the hood, trunk and valences are a pain.  If I ever did one again, I'd consider actually painting them on.  Just my 2 cents James and good luck.

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Built mine a while back, actually the first Ford I ever built. It's a nice kit and pretty easy to do. Valences front and rear, quarter windows take some finessing to get right. Also, be aware, getting the stripe decals on the hood, trunk and valences are a pain.  If I ever did one again, I'd consider actually painting them on.  Just my 2 cents James and good luck.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be watching for that. 

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

That should be a nice build.  I see this kit every time I go to HL.  Just more into trucks than cars.  I'll be watching. 

Yep, got it at HL. I try to pick up a kit every time they have the 40% off sale. My wife likes the mustangs, she had one back in the day, don't think it was the shelby though. She asked me why I hadn't built one, so this one's for her. 

• 2 weeks later...

Revell also makes a 1965/66 fast back, that is sports roof in Ford lingo, other than the Hertz car. If you get a later version you will probably need to fill in the front bumper area. Revell took it out for the GT 350 and never returned it, not as far as I know. There have been stories, for years,  about guys renting the Hertz GT 350's ($27.50)to go racing on weekends and returning them to Hertz on Monday. Also stories about guys renting them to go to the prom. Don't know if that happened, you needed to be, I think, at least, 21 to rent one. I guess someone's brother could have done it. If you want to see a nice build up of the car check out Mr. Lin's video on youtube. 

24 minutes ago, james220 said:

Revell also makes a 1965/66 fast back, that is sports roof in Ford lingo, other than the Hertz car. If you get a later version you will probably need to fill in the front bumper area. Revell took it out for the GT 350 and never returned it, not as far as I know. There have been stories, for years,  about guys renting the Hertz GT 350's ($27.50)to go racing on weekends and returning them to Hertz on Monday. Also stories about guys renting them to go to the prom. Don't know if that happened, you needed to be, I think, at least, 21 to rent one. I guess someone's brother could have done it. If you want to see a nice build up of the car check out Mr. Lin's video on youtube. 

I've heard those stories also. The first ones Shelby sent them were all manual transmission and Hertz complained about saying they wanted autos, so Shelby started sending them with auto trans. The first ones also had racing brakes with metallic lines which needed to be heated up good before they would operate properly. Hertz complained their customers were running into the back of cars because they didn't let them heat up. Shelby had to start putting a warning on the dash about the brakes to remind drivers about it. My wife wanted me to build a Mustang because she had one as a teenager, it was Shelby but not the Hertz. I knew Revell made another Shelby but I could not find one, at least not at Hobby Lobby which is where I get my kits when they are at 40% off. She's ok with it being the Hertz as long as I paint it dark blue like the one she had. I'll check out that video. 

5 hours ago, Painted Black said:

Just a reminder, you'll need to remove the fender emblems for the Hertz.....

I'm not really concerned about it being a Hertz. My wife wanted me to build a Mustang because she had one in her teens, but the only thing she could remember, it was dark blue and a fastback. When I got the kit it was the only Mustang HL had.  As long as she is ok with it, I'm good. 

11 hours ago, bluestringer said:

I'm not really concerned about it being a Hertz. My wife wanted me to build a Mustang because she had one in her teens, but the only thing she could remember, it was dark blue and a fastback. When I got the kit it was the only Mustang HL had.  As long as she is ok with it, I'm good. 

Oh. OK just thought you were building the Hertz.

It’s a good kit but gives builders fits of the try to use the Lemnos stripes decals versus painting them on.  Doing a sold color eliminates that issue.  I like the kit and the variations for the 65-66 fastback and convertibles Revell Monogram did.  Looking forward to the finished pictures.

No decals on this one. Wife said hers didn't have the stripes. I messed up the paint job when I put on the clear, trying to get a good shiny surface and sprayed it a little too thick causing some runs and pooling. Wife is ok with it, so I'm good. Will try to get finished photos today.