Model Cars Magazine Forum

It is used for taking paper pictures of things and deco podging them onto things like vases or stuff.  It is basically watery elmers glue.  It comes in various types that are supposed to be designed for different applications like glossy, flat, dishwasher safe (which it isn't) and some others.

I have heard of some people using it for laying down embossing powder but don't think they got very good results.  I tried to use it to create small light and gauge glass once and it there are much better things for that.  I am sure there may be some use for it somewhere in the hobby but I haven't found it yet.

i use it quite a lot. basically i use it to glue in glass because if you make a mistake you can peel it off of the plastic.  I also use it for things like glueing door mirrors on, if there is not a hole or pin to put it on. It holds quite well and leaves no real issues on the clear if you make a mistake.  

with that being said, if the glass does not fit in place well and needs to have a little help (like if its needs to be forced a little for bad fit), mod podge will not work well. Its not strong enough. On my 78 amt bronco kit, the back glass did not fit well with the top because the top was a bit warped. no amount of mod podge helped. ultimately i held it in place with clips and used regular model glue. 

also, it smells bad and takes a long time to dry. its not something you can put in and let it sit for a few minutes. the instructions say 2 weeks to fully cure, i usually let it sit about 1 or 2 hours and then you can move the model again

honestly,  i am impatient on stuff, and usually causes me grief, but i will do the glass before i go to bed because otherwise i get twitchy with it and dont want to wait for it to cure before picking it up to check it or to try to continue on. overnight is plenty of time to continue

Edited by MrMiles